U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,460,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Retirement isn't all it is cracked up to be.
Yeah, but working for a living is highly overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 AM

6,894 posts, read 7,300,512 times
Quote:
Retirement isn't all it is cracked up to be.
Neither is working. I'd rather be retired than working -- ANY day of the week.
Personally I've got PLENTY of things to do to keep me as occupied as I want to be.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:50 AM

845 posts, read 749,700 times
thanks everyone for your input. Everyone has legitimate ideas.

Yes, we did lower the price of our farm 4 times! by $30K. We need to down size- we have a 103 ac farm which we do not need anymore since most of the animals are now gone. Our horse will be going to a friend, and we will just take our pet sheep and our 2 pet goats. They would do fine on 1 ac.

We like NY and we don't like the south for a variety of reasons (ppl stay in a place also because of family and friends in the area). Plus Hubbie still works and since it is a desk job, wants to stay working for as long as possible. He LIKES his job.

We did go to Florida just in July and did not like it. Just as well now with Irma blowing thru.

In addition, we know ppl who do live in Florida and it is not cheap anymore. If we sell this house, we can get a better house here- cheaper- than in Florida. With a smaller house and less property, our property taxes will be about what they are in Florida.

We know ppl in Florida, and except for property taxes, ALL of their expenses are higher than ours: insurance, electric, water, etc. even in THIS house.

My electric alone is under $60/ month, and I have an electric hot water heater, dryer, electric stove, etc. Except for food which runs $500+ plus month, we live very cheap. We shop at yard sales, etc for things we need.

Since I've had health issues in the past- I want to stay very close to my doctors. I see them about 3 times a year- just for a check up. On the same idea, we are very rural now- we no longer want that- Hubbie drive 57 miles to work EACH WAY. We want to be close to a choice of doctors, hospitals, health food stores, etc. Not city, living but closer.

So there are reasons to stay in NY. I know about downsizing, which will help. We just need to sell. I called the retirement plan again and she wasn't in- left a message. So I just need to wait for a call back and get more info.

Thanks again for all your ideas and suggestions. Keep them coming.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:05 AM

11,157 posts, read 8,567,464 times
Even in NYS, food should not run you $500 a month for 2 people. You may want to look to reduce that cost.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 AM

6,336 posts, read 5,075,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of your expense problems is that you are in remaining in NY. ~$700/month in property taxes, plus whatever else you pay by remaining in NY.

I know you've been trying to sell that farm for awhile, but after months (maybe years now?) with it not moving, you need to cut the price drastically. You obviously don't want to sell for less than you owe, but if it is paid off, you need to get what you can and sell out.

That will at least cut your expenses. Find a job in the new area to make things work.
That is my plan when I am finally able to leave here - sell the house at a bargain. Take off and be free of home owning responsibilities.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:29 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,223,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I'm not sure if I need to vent or looking for info, but I'll take any ideas everyone has.

I retired from my job with New York State around 2005 to open a business, but had to close the business in 2010. At that time my husband had multiple surgeries which required my help, so I did not return to work.

In 2008, (at 55) I took my pension. (all of $540/ m)

A few years after that I became very sick, so even tho my husband was better, I still couldn't work. So in 2014, at age 62, I started collecting SS. ($1200/m)

snip
Agree you need help but your thread title is a vent.

OK first that doesn't make sense to me. I quit the phone company twice and took my "pension" and later returned to them to work THREE times. Nobody cares. I just wasn't pension eligible again until the clock started again. At five years. But that's not "the state". Way different, I guess. (I actually rolled it over but - same thing)

Well your particular circumstances totally disagree with your Thread title that pensions keep people in poverty.

Not to criticize you but you asked:

You didn't retire. You just quit work.

You "retired" at age 52 because you wanted to start a business. Because the business couldn't support you, you then chose to take your pension. I left the first time, too, to buy a business because they were offering great packages and it was totally worth it at my age 37.

Pensions are meant as a partial support in SENIOR years, traditionally age 65. It's a benefit as a PERK for employment loyalty. They never promise to be your sole support nor should they. Even though mine gives me lifetime healthcare (and other stuff)...that's also a PERK when you go work for them. You trade your salary or life or whatever for those benefits.

Even though, yes many of us CAN totally live on our pensions. But we put in the full time.

In fact, the pensions I know about only give you deferred vested pension benefits if you don't retire with a certain amount of service (like 30 years) or age 65. You then qualify for benefits at age 65. I can see you probably didn't have 30 years service or whatever because of the amount of money you mentioned in pension and SS.

With 30 years, the phone company pension is more like $2500 per month and $2500 SS or there abouts. And I'm going back a few years.

Then unfortunately you had to take your SS at a low rate with the penalty.

If I were you, and my income qualified as low income, which it does if you're making $1740 per month, (but I see subsequently that's not the case if he works right now) I'd move to a senior housing HUD grant rental apartment and not go back to work now if all that rig-a-ma-role applies. They can be very very nice. Utilities included for only a percentage of your income. LIke 30, 50 or 60%. Of course your husb's SS will be going into that equation, too.

If you own a house and have assets, your assets don't count against you in the qualifications, only your INCOME. Which may or may not become a problem in the future if you decide to start living off your assets. You can get another part time job up to the Income Restriction limits of your apartment. it's based on median county incomes.

Not sure about SS. I thought after FULL RETIREMENT AGE you could earn any amount you wanted. But I'm not in that bracket so I don't really know. But you won't be FRA until 2019. So you can earn something like $16K per year now, I think.

I understand your choices - people are famous for that. Even at the phone company they're famous for grabbing $300K-$400K lump sum on the way out the door and spending it all wrong. Then being broke.

But it doesn't make the pension system some negative thing which keeps people in poverty. And it's not the only choice - people can save over and above employer's pensions.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-25-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 AM

21,203 posts, read 11,826,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Even in NYS, food should not run you $500 a month for 2 people. You may want to look to reduce that cost.
$250 per month per person doesn't seem terribly excessive to me, especially when the OP has already said she chooses to focus on eating higher quality foods for health reasons.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:04 AM

845 posts, read 749,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

a lot of it is specialty foods from the health food store due to my health issues. I once had mobility and balance problems and pain issues that required narcotic medication. All that is gone, and no more narcotics. If special food helped (and I can feel the difference in 10 days if I eat a "normal" diet- I tried), then that is what I need to do. I guess you are what you eat- at least for me.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:05 AM

6,894 posts, read 7,300,512 times
Quote:
I'm single and my food bill can be $400 a month easy -- NOT including eating out.

Does it HAVE to be that high? No. But 1) I don't skimp, 2) I buy what I want (and fresh (or frozen for that matter) isn't cheap, neither are nuts, and produce (and I'm not even talking organic, although from time to time there might be some of that, too). Add in bison and ostrich at $10 a pound (for my main meats, when I eat meat, which isn't often).

So $500 for 2 people...I think that's darn good.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 PM

4,686 posts, read 3,258,145 times
selhars: Where do you buy bison and ostrich? I'm in central NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement