U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:48 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,160,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
selhars: Where do you buy bison and ostrich? I'm in central NY.
Ostrich I can't help you with, but you can buy excellent grass-fed, humanely-harvested bison meat here: https://wildideabuffalo.com/. They're based in South Dakota, but will ship anywhere in the continental US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 02:19 PM

6,884 posts, read 7,284,046 times
I've looked into ordering online previously, from a few places. But will check it out.
I don't buy bison that often.

As for online ordering...1) I find sometimes you have to order a ton of it (OK maybe not a side of beef's worth, but a lot of it) and/or 2) by the time they ship it......the shipping takes the price up to equal to what I pay just buying three or four stakes at a time in a regular health food store. Literally the shipping DOUBLED the cost of the order.

NYGal,
I'm not in NY. But all health/natural foods store I patronized when I was in the suburban Washington DC area had it. Dave's Natural Market (small regional chain, and MOM's Natural Market.) I forget whether Whole Foods and Trader Joes have bison and/or ostrich. Bison might be the better bet. But I love ostrich also......more than bison. And of course they are both available online.

If you can go in on a big order.....maybe online would work for you. But as I said, it may not be cheaper than at retail. BUT if you can't get it retail then online is your alternative. Maybe you have a store near you that would order it for you, get a discount, give your your part of the order, and put the rest in their case to sell. You do NOT HAVE to order in bulk, but it might help with the pricing.

Last edited by selhars; 09-25-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 02:24 PM

5,783 posts, read 4,838,667 times
Regarding the thread title: who is keeping anyone in poverty?

OP took her pension early, took SS at the youngest possible age, is not working and is not interested in working for less than she feels she's worth, and has a hubby who is working once again. In addition, they have a large property that is an asset that could be leased or sold for additional money. Although they both have had health problems, both are doing better now. I must be missing something because I don't see anything to rant about in all this. I certainly can understand her frustration that health issues threw a wrench into things, but this situation is far from hopeless and there is really no outside source to blame for all this.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 PM

^^What Shadow says is a fair reading of the situation.

Quote:
I buy what I want (and fresh (or frozen for that matter) isn't cheap,
I see I dropped a word in post #69 that line should read "(and fresh SEAFOOD (or frozen for that matter) isn't cheap,"

Old 09-25-2017, 02:50 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
selhars: Thank you for posting the info re bison and ostrich.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:12 PM

7,256 posts, read 4,143,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Regarding the thread title: who is keeping anyone in poverty?

OP took her pension early, took SS at the youngest possible age, is not working and is not interested in working for less than she feels she's worth, and has a hubby who is working once again. In addition, they have a large property that is an asset that could be leased or sold for additional money. Although they both have had health problems, both are doing better now. I must be missing something because I don't see anything to rant about in all this. I certainly can understand her frustration that health issues threw a wrench into things, but this situation is far from hopeless and there is really no outside source to blame for all this.
What you missed is that the property has been listed for years now. Most people would take that as an indication that it is overpriced.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 PM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What you missed is that the property has been listed for years now. Most people would take that as an indication that it is overpriced.
...or there is something seriously wrong with it. Soil contamination. Flood zone where you need FEMA insurance to get a mortgage. Sometimes, things don't sell no matter how much you reduce the price. ...but I agree. Most things that rot on the market are priced well above fair market value.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:33 PM

31,667 posts, read 19,975,978 times
Sounds to me like your pension kept you afloat when you needed it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-25-2017, 03:54 PM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^What Shadow says is a fair reading of the situation.
Yep. Most people in their mid-50's don't have that pension coming in if they encounter health problems. Collecting Social Security at age 62 sniffs of a poor decision driven by immediate gratification. That's certainly not what I'm planning. Of course, my full retirement age is higher so the penalty for collecting at 62 is stiffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I see I dropped a word in post #69 that line should read "(and fresh SEAFOOD (or frozen for that matter) isn't cheap,"
As part of the thread hijack....

I'm fortunate to live next to the largest fishing port (by dollar volume) in the US (New Bedford with scallops usually edges out Dutch Harbor for value of the catch).

Pulling up the price sheet for the fish market I use:
Prices – Fisherman's Market
Swordfish: $8.19
Cod: $6.49
Haddock: $6.79
Grill grade tuna: $5.79

This is the retail storefront of a local fish processing plant owned by a guy who has his own fleet of fishing boats. They sell what their boats bring in. It's usually very fresh.

The local high volume discount grocer usually has haddock for lower prices but it's typically imported and often has been frozen at sea. I buy their "chowder fish" that is small pieces of haddock for $2.99. For things like bouillabaisse, you can't tell the difference.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
As part of the thread hijack....
I don't know that a couple of answers to a question that was asked amounts to a "thread hijack."
Sometimes conversation do ebb and flow....

See.....
See, it's already back on track.
"Now back to our regularly scheduled programming."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement