U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:21 PM

365 posts, read 301,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Regarding the thread title: who is keeping anyone in poverty?

OP took her pension early, took SS at the youngest possible age, is not working and is not interested in working for less than she feels she's worth, and has a hubby who is working once again. In addition, they have a large property that is an asset that could be leased or sold for additional money. Although they both have had health problems, both are doing better now. I must be missing something because I don't see anything to rant about in all this. I certainly can understand her frustration that health issues threw a wrench into things, but this situation is far from hopeless and there is really no outside source to blame for all this.
I know someone is going take this the wrong way, I'll be called snarky, rude or insensitive. I love Countrykaren, she is a prolific poster, has started hundreds of similar 'what should I do?' scenarios... She is gifted in creating threads that never quite add up. She's clearly very intelligent, click on her name and see the hundreds of discussions she's initiated. She's scored again, 'highly specialized skills' ...like what? A NYS Pension that pays her very little but she has to pay back 50,000 plus..to return to work...A farm that never sells...Bless her soul, she is a treasure......There is no right or wrong answer to her questions, or problems, ..they don't exist, ..just enjoy the ride.....She's great ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:32 AM

4,476 posts, read 2,653,411 times
Karen:
I have read others of your posts, and know you are trying to sell your farm. Farming in N.Y. is iffy at best it seems these daysfor horses or even dairy . Are there other farmers around you you could LEASE your excess acreage to ? My very close friend lives in 3 acres surrounded by farms. He offered to buy from the farmer to enlarge his property, but the farmer said he never sold property, only bought or leased. That could offset your cost of the farm. Being surrounded by a corn field wouldn't be that bad.

Next you say( if I read correctly) "I investigate deaths", not sure what that means it entails, but can't you investigate deaths in any area of the state?

Also, what is the price you are asking, and what do you owe? Maybe it's time to sell for what you owe ...youd be what $14k more or less ahead if you bought down to an acre. Sure you won't make any money, but maybe time to cut losses and stop the bleeding for the mortgage.

Also, can you/ are you able to subdivide and create a whole new "countrykaren estates"? Much of the larger farms in my area have done that. One was turned into a luxury homes development! The homes are $300k to start.

If you can go back to work, but the bullet if your husband can pay the bills and pay back in one year for your pension. It'll fly by fast. If not, let them take it out for the years they want.

I know you like N.Y. but check out other N.Y areas, and there certainly are other southern areas to go to besides Florida. I have a retirement inheritance duplex in Florida I'll never live in, but will probably sell when I do actually retire ....to a different southern state.

Can you plant pumpkins with the help of a farmer with the equipment on your acreage and split the profits?

Look for other ways to make the acreage work for you, not just horses. Or dairy. Both take money and constant care,, but tilling and planting seeds to watch them grow doesn't require as much effort. How about fruit trees/ bushes for "Upick" farm? Again other thsn planting and a months work to prune branches spring and fall, doesn't take much effort unless there is a drought.

I'm currently now out of ideas, but I'm sure I may have more.

Best of luck in your decisions.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:43 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,280,527 times
$50k pension at $540/mo is 7 years and 9 months. Sounds about right.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:34 AM

23,847 posts, read 17,764,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
NYGal,
I'm not in NY. But all health/natural foods store I patronized when I was in the suburban Washington DC area had it. Dave's Natural Market (small regional chain, and MOM's Natural Market.) I forget whether Whole Foods and Trader Joes have bison and/or ostrich. Bison might be the better bet. But I love ostrich also......more than bison. And of course they are both available online.

If you can go in on a big order.....maybe online would work for you. But as I said, it may not be cheaper than at retail. BUT if you can't get it retail then online is your alternative. Maybe you have a store near you that would order it for you, get a discount, give your your part of the order, and put the rest in their case to sell. You do NOT HAVE to order in bulk, but it might help with the pricing.
Your experience is in suburban DC. CountryKaren lives in presumably a fairly rural area.

I live in a small town/rural area. It is extremely difficult to expensive to find natural/organic/health conscious foods in rural areas. There are no Whole Foods, TJ's, Costco, or any other national outfit for over 100 miles. A nearby city The Fresh Market, but it is more just "high end" - not necessarily focusing on healthier food arrangements. It also has a small Earthfare, which is a regional outfit and basically a poor man's Whole Foods.

Bison and ostrich are not available here. Period. You are lucky to find fresh ground turkey in our local grocery stores, and that's at only the flagship store in each town for our main regional grocer. We have a couple of dumpy Krogers that carry only a fraction of what they do at the Kroger Marketplace in Knoxville. The selection here is more expensive (yes, I was in Knoxville on Saturday at a super nice Kroger and stopped in at my local Kroger yesterday - the "simple truth" organic/natural brand is hardly present locally, is all over the place in Knoxville, and the same non-organic items are actually more expensive).

When I want minimally processed/organic stuff, I take a 61 gallon Coleman cooler that is almost as long as the back seat of the car to Knoxville, and ice everything for the two hour ride home.

I eat pretty well. Most stuff is not organic/minimally processed, but I try to get as much of that in as is reasonable under current circumstances. Still, with grocery prices where there are here, food is close to $100/week. Other than Aldi/Sam's, milk is $5/gallon for basic store brand. Eggs $2/dozen. 90/10 ground beef is about $7.49/lb. Boneless, skinless chicken tenders are $6.99/lb. Quality deli meat is about $10/lb. Someone in a rural area with specific diet restrictions is going to pay through the nose.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:15 AM

30,772 posts, read 49,618,904 times
My Dw used to work as a Producer Manager for DECA, now she volunteers as a manager for a Farmer's Market in a nearby city. She handles the Food Stamp matching grant money. [anyone with Food Stamps gets matching funds to buy local organic produce]

She also started up a new Farmer's Market this Spring in another town. Where she is one of the vendors.

We have a lot of FMs.

We do not have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe. What we do have is a lot of small-scale organic farms.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM

6,416 posts, read 5,131,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My Dw used to work as a Producer Manager for DECA, now she volunteers as a manager for a Farmer's Market in a nearby city. She handles the Food Stamp matching grant money. [anyone with Food Stamps gets matching funds to buy local organic produce]

She also started up a new Farmer's Market this Spring in another town. Where she is one of the vendors.

We have a lot of FMs.

We do not have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe. What we do have is a lot of small-scale organic farms.
yes - I know the big farmers market in the city takes food stamps. Heck, even the Schwan's people take food stamps.

And I'm surprised that more people do not have access to organic products.

We can get bison beef here in our small south Texas grocery store. It is part of the HEB chain, so they bring us all kinds of goodies. Organic chicken, pork, eggs, veggies etc. A big selection of gluten free items.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 AM

845 posts, read 756,090 times
I took my pension early because I NEEDED it. The idea of they "keeping you in poverty", is the idea of salary limits, and not being able to catch a break because of rules and regulations. It was an emotional response at the time of my post.

BTW- it pays to keep finding someone that actually knows the answer. I do not need to pay the pension back- providing I do not want to recalculate the pension payments.

Because I am 64 and get a pension, I can make up to $30K. BUT before that time (the $$ limit) is up, I will be 65 and can make all the money I want. So from now to January I can make $30K (which I won't be doing altho a $120K salary sounds nice) and keep my pension, then after my Birthday, make all I want, and still keep my pension.

But when I do retire again, my pension will be the same and not have the new increase. Fine. That's doable. Hoping our expenses at that time- or close to it- will be lower and I can just bank this salary.

Oh and BTW, some ppl stated that I should not expect as much money now as when I got paid before retirement. That is so wrong. I expect more. I'm a licensed professional. I have the training and experience from when I did work. This job will pay me approx. $20K more than when I worked before retirement.

A word to the wise (I don't mean to be disrespectful, but want to give you a little advice- just as everyone gave me ideas and suggestions) Never expect less, because that is what you will get. Expect more for your talent and you will get more.

So thank you everyone for your help, ideas, and suggestions. It gave me the questions to ask.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 AM

4,777 posts, read 6,654,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
a lot of it is specialty foods from the health food store due to my health issues. I once had mobility and balance problems and pain issues that required narcotic medication. All that is gone, and no more narcotics. If special food helped (and I can feel the difference in 10 days if I eat a "normal" diet- I tried), then that is what I need to do. I guess you are what you eat- at least for me.
Off topic....I have balance problems and pain also, and have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Can you tell me what kind of diet you follow? You can PM me if you'd rather not derail the thread.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:45 PM

14,337 posts, read 45,097,188 times
Work for someone other than NYS government, then you should not have to repay the pension.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:54 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,408,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I took my pension early because I NEEDED it. The idea of they "keeping you in poverty", is the idea of salary limits, and not being able to catch a break because of rules and regulations. It was an emotional response at the time of my post.

BTW- it pays to keep finding someone that actually knows the answer. I do not need to pay the pension back- providing I do not want to recalculate the pension payments.

Because I am 64 and get a pension, I can make up to $30K. BUT before that time (the $$ limit) is up, I will be 65 and can make all the money I want. So from now to January I can make $30K (which I won't be doing altho a $120K salary sounds nice) and keep my pension, then after my Birthday, make all I want, and still keep my pension.

But when I do retire again, my pension will be the same and not have the new increase. Fine. That's doable. Hoping our expenses at that time- or close to it- will be lower and I can just bank this salary.

Oh and BTW, some ppl stated that I should not expect as much money now as when I got paid before retirement. That is so wrong. I expect more. I'm a licensed professional. I have the training and experience from when I did work. This job will pay me approx. $20K more than when I worked before retirement.

A word to the wise (I don't mean to be disrespectful, but want to give you a little advice- just as everyone gave me ideas and suggestions) Never expect less, because that is what you will get. Expect more for your talent and you will get more.

So thank you everyone for your help, ideas, and suggestions. It gave me the questions to ask.
I've only skimmed the thread so maybe this has been answered.

Have you investigated the math behind paying the pension back and having them re-calculate it based upon your new higher salary and additional years of service. Especially if you do work until 75 (something you mentioned at the beginning of the thread), there will be another 10 years of service at a higher income. Calculate what you think your life expectancy is and see how the math works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement