U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:34 AM

10,467 posts, read 5,935,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
I retired at 55 and earned $0 from age 55-62. I received the amount those early statements said I would get when I started collecting SS at 62.
That is certainly encouraging for the opening poster. Says the benefit won't be much different, especially if it is based on annual earnings of $11,000 moving forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 AM

12,612 posts, read 15,071,590 times
Your husband should look into filing for SSDI - Social Security Disability Insurance.

If he cannot work due to a disability, he may be approved. It's different from SSI.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/index.html

Old 09-25-2017, 11:07 AM

2,206 posts, read 1,350,381 times
Another option for your husband (after surgery) would be to get a job that does not require physical activity. Perhaps in sales or customer assistance at a lumber yard, home improvement store, hardware store, flooring company, etc. A place where he already knows an awful lot about the products they sell, and where he might be able to start out part time until he sees how it goes. This is an opportunity I always thought my father missed out on after his construction days were over in his late 50s.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 AM

2,687 posts, read 1,545,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
With an Excel spreadsheet, your earnings history from the Social Security web site, and Social Security Publication 05-10070, you can calculate it with about 10 minutes of data entry. The worksheet on the form is for people born in 1955 turning 62 this year. The estimate will be off depending on how old you are. For someone born in 1962 like the OP's husband (my best guess of their birth year), it will under-estimate it a bit.

Link to Pub 05-10070: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf
Interesting. Thanks. Still does not tell the full story though, but the closest I've seen yet!

Old 09-25-2017, 03:13 PM

1,711 posts, read 756,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I may be wrong but from what I know his best bet would be to file for disability.
That was going to be my suggestion.

If he has to stop work because of ANY kind of physical condition, especially if he needs surgery, he should file for SSDI immediately to lock in the eligibility date even if he gets turned down the first time.

If he gets turned down the first time, he should then get a disability attorney.

He's got way too many years to go without an income.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 PM

6,625 posts, read 3,754,399 times
My understanding is this: Remember that the estimate is just an estimate. But the estimate comes from a calculation based on the HIGHEST EARNING 35 YEARS. So if your H has 35 years of Social Security recorded earnings on record, the estimate would not be lower. He can make 0 every year until 62, because he already has 35 years under his belt.

If he were to make MORE than the $11k amount next year, then the estimate would change by going a tad higher, because next year's income would replace the $11k 2017 income.

If your husband has only 32 years of SS recorded earnings, then the estimate WILL be lower each year he makes 0.

The jump in amounts from 62 to 67 and so forth is based on an increase of about 6%, I think. That's what we get for waiting to the next level.

I may have missed this in a prior post, but does he have insurance lined up until he can get Medicare?

Old 09-25-2017, 07:06 PM

2,066 posts, read 869,124 times
If his doctor will stand by the opinion that he has to stop working now for health reasons he can file for SS disability. (This means he can't work at any job, not just his current job.) If it is granted he will get the 67 year old SS pension now! If it is undecided for a period of time and is finally decided in his favor (eg. after appeals) he will get the 67 year old pension at that time and retroactive payments back to the date that he filed. A friend of mine with asbestosis started collecting the 67 year old pension at age 60. He is 75 now.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:45 PM

659 posts, read 325,372 times
I was actually in the Social Security Office today on another matter, and I asked the agent the exact same question. I stopped working in 2016 and have 3 years to go until age 62. I asked if the amounts shown on my Social Security Statement are still accurate for age 62, FRA, and age 70. The agent showed me my amounts for each age on the computer; and said they would barely change because I have earned the necessary credits to qualify for benefits; plus I had paid in the maximum amounts in payroll taxes for the last 15 years.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:36 PM

18,122 posts, read 22,989,204 times
He should file for Social Security Disability, if he can't work. Also, file for state disability now with the doctor's note. To get SSDI, he'll need to be out of work for a year, or expected to be out of work for at least a year.

He can then collect state disability until he can get SSDI, then he'll get back pay minus the workers comp/state disability payments he received. Then, at age 62, it gets converted to just straight retirement benefits.

So, you really need to look at the calculators for SSDI first.

I did this. I suggest, he gets the doctor to say he needs to stop working now, which is sounds like he'll do, then file for state disability. Also, learn from my mistake - and file for SSDI now. If SSDI denies him, then you hire a social security disability lawyer. They only get paid a small percentage of what the back pay is - which is determined by law.

Anyway, first - apply for state disability, and at the same time, file for SSDI. Even if they deny him, he will have established an earlier date for when he first applied, which is very important.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 PM

4,445 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Your husband should look into filing for SSDI - Social Security Disability Insurance.

If he cannot work due to a disability, he may be approved. It's different from SSI.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/index.html
This.

MISS ROBIN:
They USED TO LIST what the benefit will be if you had to claim disability, but I don't think they do anymore.

If he is really that disabled, apply for SSDI.

I have drawn SSDI since age 40.

You need to get ALL the medical info yo SS on his condition(s) to SSDI. That is tgecresponsibility of the medical providers upon petition by SS. YOU NEED to list ALL doctors and hospitals for SS to petition. Even if He had a hangnail and was seen by the doctor, list that doctor and approximate date he was seen.

The more "ammo" you have, the better to bolster his case.

Everyone gets denied the first time. Appeal, appeal appeal until you see the Administrative Law Judge. Be SURE the ALJ has ALL THE DOCUMENTS AND EXRAY, MRI CT AND OTHER NEDICSL REPORTS for his condition(s). You can do this publishing EVERY PROVIDER he ever had. Not just for current issues, but any and all medical issues.

In my case, the ALJ had an 8.5" thick folder file of my medical conditions. He had no problem awarding me my SSDI.

I have returned to work part time all I can do as I have 13 years as if today ( my birthday is today) left before I reach FRA. I need to boost my SSDI and therefore my SS before it becomes permanent. I'm allowed to earn up to the SGA amount ( Substantial Gain Activity) before they suspend my SSDI for the month I go over SGA. As long as my sages don't go over SGA, I'll be ok and cam keep my SSDI, at least for a while. I'm doing this as after 13 years my SSDI doesn't pay what it used to on the bills. COLAs have been a joke lately. I can keep my Medicare forv93 months too.

Your husband can work the same way too. If he wants to or needs to. You will need to prove he can't work doing something like sitting and answering phones for work. In my case I have physical and mental illness.

Best of luck to you and him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or