U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:00 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,991 times

Advertisements

I've never celebrated my birthday either. In fact, I don't tell friends when it is. It's just not something I think to mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:02 PM

1,657 posts, read 1,522,222 times
I don't celebrate my birthday with any type of event but I usually treat myself to a nice meal and a decadent dessert sometime during my birthday month. Then if I buy something, often for the house or an article of clothing, I call it my birthday gift although I bought it myself and planned to buy it regardless. Last year I got a nice purse. This year I'm retiring in my birthday month, the ultimate birthday gift and celebration. Also my Facebook friends wish me happy birthday which is good enough for me.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:06 PM

39,452 posts, read 2,974,514 times
Go for a few drinks one night & out to dinner another, & then on a different day we go to to lunch We really only eat out during birthday or anniversary celebrations, so we really enjoy it, when it happens. Sometimes I will also pack a picnic & go on a day trip somewhere. Yes, I enjoy my birthday, but we stopped doing gifts years ago.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:33 PM

5,879 posts, read 2,379,804 times
Guess Birthdays in our life was mostly celebrated for the children as they reached milestones in their life! BUT as for adults/parents.. Nothing other than an excuse to PARTY!! I happen to be born on same date as parent's anniversary ( marriage) and AS a kid appreciated it.. But as I matured and realized the significance I truly enjoyed the joint celebration of it all!!

As for later years.. approaching retirement All I hoped for was my children to send wishes.. no need for $$ to be spent but sure appreciated those personal phone calls and short "Chin-Wag" with my kids! An Yes.. that prevailed throughout my life!

I too at Christmas (felt the same) since even Christmas in my mind is for kids.. NOT spending a fortune to spend for a larger expanding family who have no need for gifts that they don't necessarily need or want!
I refuse to celebrate except to acknowledge personally with loved ones or special friends other than to PERSONALLY contact them and tell them ... $$/gifts is and have always been a marketing tool.. Words, wishes and personal talk means far more than spending $$$ .

I wish people would spend more quality time with their loved ones and personal talk ( not the 140 character tweet nor a Facebook mention) that does will always mean a lot to the receiver!!

In retirement.. one's life becomes a day to day existence.. and constant worry about our kids and their kids ( Grand-babies) and make sure their safe/fed/getting educated so they can learn to be productive caring adults! I did my best over 25 years ago.. and remained supportive .. BUT, NOT intrusive so my self interest has become more and more MOOT as I aged!!

Old 09-25-2017, 01:39 PM

419 posts, read 256,807 times
Happy Birthday, Galaxyhi! I always celebrate too, and my birthday is coming up in a couple of days. For years, because we live 45 minutes away, I would go to EPCOT, ride some fun stuff, have a nice meal and a glass of champagne. That fits me because I'm a Peter Pan who refuses to grow up even if I must grow older. This year I was planning on golfing at my favorite course that I haven't played in eons, but the weather is just too darn hot. If hubby is feeling well enough, we'll do something low-key such as dinner at Outback. And cake, lots of chocolate cake is justifiable on your birthday. My present from hubby, which he doesn't know about yet, is 8 pairs of running socks. We don't do big exchanges, but I like to buy a little something I can point to and say that I got it for my birthday. Silly little things like that make my day. Enjoy your birthday!

Old 09-25-2017, 02:18 PM

21,856 posts, read 14,356,798 times
I asked to visit tbe Oregon Coast one last time before year's end, and that's how I am celebrating this year. I like to treat myself a bit on my birthday, but I don't require cake or a party. I think it is OK to treat yourself as a kind of reward for having lived this long.

If you don't celebrate your birthday by choice, then that's OK too, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll soon be 71.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:27 PM

3,881 posts, read 1,648,337 times
I usually go out to lunch with girlfriends, and out to dinner with my husband. Sometimes dinner with friends as well.

My husband, on the other hand, celebrates his "birthday month" and expects special treatment throughout. He doesn't always get it, though.

Every couple of years, we give a big party for his birthday--it's in the summer, and we can party outdoors, so invite a lot more people than an indoor party (we invite about 70, maybe half show up). We do a White Elephant exchange, where everybody brings a weird gift and goes home with something odd.

we both hit 61 this year.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:27 PM

1,657 posts, read 1,522,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I asked to visit tbe Oregon Coast one last time before year's end, and that's how I am celebrating this year. I like to treat myself a bit on my birthday, but I don't require cake or a party. I think it is OK to treat yourself as a kind of reward for having lived this long.

If you don't celebrate your birthday by choice, then that's OK too, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll soon be 71.
After retirement, I'm taking a trip to Oregon in late October to visit a friend. We always go to the Oregon coast whenever I visit - Depoe Bay down to Yachats is our favorite area. But one of these trips I want to go to the southern coast and see Bandon and Gold Beach.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:40 PM

6,064 posts, read 9,524,350 times
Pretty much don't bother. This birthday I get to spend the morning at my opthamologist. What fun.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:36 PM

31,628 posts, read 19,947,296 times
Happy birthday!! Today is my hubbies too!

We did a huge party (group) for our 50th, and this year he is working like 16 hours....sooooo. I am taking him his present (mavrick drone) and picking up something nice for him to eat.

Personally? I don't care about a fuss on my birthday.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or