U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 04:31 PM

13,897 posts, read 7,400,560 times

Advertisements

I read the 100 meaningless Happy Birthday posts on my Facebook page just like everybody else.

I turn 60 this year. I'm tempted to say "find a dark cave and assume the fetal position" but I figure my friends and girlfriend will likely do something as part of Memorial Day weekend. That happened at 40 and 50. I otherwise try to ignore my birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 06:00 PM

4,432 posts, read 2,611,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Happy birthday!! Today is my hubbies too!

We did a huge party (group) for our 50th, and this year he is working like 16 hours....sooooo. I am taking him his present (mavrick drone) and picking up something nice for him to eat.

Personally? I don't care about a fuss on my birthday.
Well Mikala, wish him a happy birthday for me!
We share our birthday with: Mark Hamil, the original Luke Skywalker; Barbara Walters, the late superman Christopher Reeves; among others.

I was actually born on my late uncle's burthday( mother's sister's husband).

We went out to dinner again, no discount or surprises there, but it's a great place, only 3 in existence, so not the usual chain stuff.
My OH could not find what was to be my present, a model 1963 Chevrolet pick up, because I'm a truck fan even though I drive a minivan. Been thinking about a truck, but we use my vehicle for trips and such, and my OH doesn't like trucks. I said tonight " well it's be MY VEHICLE"!!!

I did get my new smart phone as a " burthday present " because my old one was dying. I DO NOT LIKE the AUTOCORRECT ON this one though!

Have a great day with hubby! Make him feel "special"!!!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,952,340 times
We just use one candle now.

Don't want to burn the damn house down.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:19 PM

5,245 posts, read 3,014,518 times
83 now, the next one will be just another day.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,688,527 times
as an adult i choose not to celebrate my birthday.
too much trauma associated with them, first as a kid growing up, then as a young married woman.

it was a very happy day for me when someone told me i can pick and choose which holidays to celebrate, and which holidays to ignore. When i began putting this into practice, it was like a huge weight was lifted off of me, and felt absolutely wonderful. Old wounds did not need to be re-lived over and over.

Someone also told me if any date or occasion holds a particularly traumatic association, that I could intentionally on that day do something significant, and have that "overlay" be my current happy memory. I have only used that once, with quite good results, so now when that date rolls around, I remember "oh this is the date I did such and such" and it feels very good.

So now I am happy to ignore birthdays. Nothing to do with age or getting older. Everything to do with stacked trauma for decades.

Happy Birthday to those who do celebrate them. I am happy to participate in making someone else's day very happy and letting them know how loved and remarkable they are, and how delighted I am to have them in my life.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:13 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,371,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
After retirement, I'm taking a trip to Oregon in late October to visit a friend. We always go to the Oregon coast whenever I visit - Depoe Bay down to Yachats is our favorite area. But one of these trips I want to go to the southern coast and see Bandon and Gold Beach.
We tend to stay around Cannon Beach, especially for short trips. We've gotten as far south in our wanderings as the Sand Dunes. I would like to go farther south though. I love the Coast.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:28 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,464,079 times
I never understood people who felt they had to have a party every birthday. Some parents do the same thing with their children. I don't do much on my birthday. The older you get it becomes less important...just becomes another day....

Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,688,527 times
I knew a woman when my children were small, who had 5 children, and she said she would only celebrate one birthday per year for one child, and it rotated through the 5 children. So one kid got a birthday for instance when he was 3, and then he didn't get another party until he was 8. That was very strange.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hello

Today happens to be my 54th birthday.

We went out to breakfast, where my OH asked the waitress about birthday "gifts" from the restaurant. Apparently another diner overheard, and while my breakfast was going to be free, the other diner paid our remain tab for us!

I'm waiting for a friend to come up from the city for a fun day.

I got a magazine with a friend's published article in it in the mail.

I also got a state school tax rebate Check in the mail, money in the mailbox is a great thing! On my birthday no less!

My OH has a yet to be known small gift for me I guess, I don't get to know until later today after my OH is out of work. Good things can come in small packages!

My father usually greased my birthday palm too. He called to wish me a happy birthday while we were out to breakfast. I will see him tomorrow.

So how DO YOU CELEBRATE? Or DON'T you anymore?

Remember I'm still only 29! For 25 years now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well Mikala, wish him a happy birthday for me!
We share our birthday with: Mark Hamil, the original Luke Skywalker; Barbara Walters, the late superman Christopher Reeves; among others.

I was actually born on my late uncle's burthday( mother's sister's husband).

We went out to dinner again, no discount or surprises there, but it's a great place, only 3 in existence, so not the usual chain stuff.
My OH could not find what was to be my present, a model 1963 Chevrolet pick up, because I'm a truck fan even though I drive a minivan. Been thinking about a truck, but we use my vehicle for trips and such, and my OH doesn't like trucks. I said tonight " well it's be MY VEHICLE"!!!

I did get my new smart phone as a " burthday present " because my old one was dying. I DO NOT LIKE the AUTOCORRECT ON this one though!

Have a great day with hubby! Make him feel "special"!!!

It's interesting to see what it takes for a person to win one of the $500 Most Engaging Posters contest. I had no idea. So now I know!

Old 09-25-2017, 10:56 PM

1,208 posts, read 706,913 times
My wifes birthday is the day after mine. I have to celebrate hers. She was born for me. We go out for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or