U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:04 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times

Advertisements

Tom and tza:

I just enjoyed " my day today"...

I never had a party as a kid. I got a cake a card, and one small present each birthday.

I don't really want a party. I just enjoyed the day.

I knew a kid growing up whose birthday was Feb 29th, and only got to celebrate once every 4 years.
Maybe the woman could only affirdca party once every 5 years for the kids.

Kids birthday parties are nothing but popularity contests and present grabbing events.

Once we grow up, the milestones change from yearly, to perhaps decadal.
The next one I'm really looking forward to is next year, the double nickel. Then it will be 62, then 65, then 67 when I'll fully retiRE.
After that, I always figured I'd be lucky to reach 80 with all my health problems, anything after that is gravy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 11:08 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's interesting to see what it takes for a person to win one of the $500 Most Engaging Posters contest. I had no idea. So now I know!
Unless that was simply tongue in cheek, and NOT a SLAM against me, perhaps you should read other posts.

I have yet to receive my award, so until I actually do, I don't consider myself to have won any way.

Perhaps, like Star Trek, it is only " holo (deck) money".

Old 09-26-2017, 12:37 AM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
We use numeric candles now instead of the individual ones. Keeps the smoke alarms from going off.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:12 AM

294 posts, read 148,915 times
Default ...only two...

When my future wife and I began to talk marriage, I made two stipulations. When she had a gripe with me, not to make a public scene without a divorce lawyer (saw this too many times with friends, family and strangers - always left a bad taste), and cake and candles for every birthday in the house.
We were moving from a crummy convenience apartment to our first house. It took all day and we were dead tired at the end of it. And on our kitchen table was a Hostess cupcake with a single candle lit. My most memorable birthday ever.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,330,778 times
I don't and never have since I was a little kid. I don't get the adult birthday parties at all and think it is silly. I don't attend birthday parties after they reach the age of around 8 to 10. Now I will get together with friends at a bar on a weekend night around one of their birthdays but I would go meet them at a bar if it wasn't their birthday but having a "birthday party" with decorations and expecting gifts and all that as an adult......I pass, it is time to grow up.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:50 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
This year was good in the birthday cake department - got three!!!

No big celebrations though. Just going out to eat with different people.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 AM

3,900 posts, read 2,742,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I read the 100 meaningless Happy Birthday posts on my Facebook page just like everybody else.

I turn 60 this year. I'm tempted to say "find a dark cave and assume the fetal position" but I figure my friends and girlfriend will likely do something as part of Memorial Day weekend. That happened at 40 and 50. I otherwise try to ignore my birthday.
Same here. Last time I remember celebrating birthdays was in jr high and high school, when we girls would have slumber parties.

We'll take the grandkids shopping for their birthdays, they're kids and it's still a big deal for them.

Besides, I certainly don't feel 59. My brain is stuck on 23, so why celebrate something I don't even believe, LOL.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:35 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,841 times
I don't. Haven't since I was in my twenties. I'm not one to celebrate anything that is obligatory.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:00 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,326,923 times
My parents never recognized, let alone, celebrated my birthday and the tradition continues. Just another day on the calendar, as far as I'm concerned.

However, I do admire people who celebrate their birthdays and I'll readily join in, if appropriate.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,293,855 times
I love celebrating my birthday as well as those I love. It's just a fun time to celebrate the day you came into the world
After turning 40, I asked that nobody get me anything for my birthday--Just celebrate with me. That is all I ask. My birthday is very close to Christmas so it is a time of allot of celebrating and I think it's great.
After all, life is to be enjoyed. You never know when your number is up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or