U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:14 PM

5,941 posts, read 5,298,958 times

Advertisements

Now it's just lunch with friends. Not a big deal since we have lunch many time throughout the year.

When I turned 60 we had a neighborhood party(not for my birthday, we have lots of parties). At the end they brought out cake and sang Happy Birthday.

I belong to every e-club for restaurants in my area so for about a 2 week period I get a few free meals, appetizers, or deserts.

Birthdays haven't been a big deal for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 07:28 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,895,263 times
Next birthday is 60, maybe that calls for some Tannerite?

That's celebration! Idiots, explosives, and falling anvils.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:54 PM

234 posts, read 176,940 times
Dinner at Malibu Seafood. Then across the street, a cooler of beer, styrofoam cup and watch the sunset.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:59 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,948 times
I like to spend the day reflecting on my mom who gave me life and who I miss so much, even after 33 years. I also buy myself a little something like a book or CD and get a special dinner in. I get a few cards in the mail sometimes. I decided that I am ''forever 12 years old'' in retirement. I liked that age. Carefree, curious, and eager to enjoy each day. Oh, and my SO sings ''Happy Birthday'' to me!

Old 09-28-2017, 09:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,294,651 times
On my kids birthday's (they are all adults now)I call them on the phone and sing them a birthday song. Not the traditional one, a funnier one. If they don't answer, I leave it on their voice mail. They call me corny but I know they love it and will miss it when I'm gone

Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 AM

195 posts, read 106,186 times
When my hubby and I were first dating he would buy me nice jewelry for my birthday. after a few years I made the same deal with him as i did with every member of my family... "I promise not to buy you any presents if you don't buy me any presents." Life is so much easier at Christmas and birthdays when you make a pact like that. Plus, it made me the most maintenance-free woman he has ever been with!

In olden days my husband and I would go out to a nice restaurant for our birthdays. We don't do "fancy" anymore but I will throw a couple of nice ribeyes on the grill and make a nice meal at home for the occasion. Of course, I will also throw a couple of nice ribeyes on the grill to celebrate the fact that it is Tuesday, so I guess it really doesn't make it that special!

Old 09-28-2017, 05:25 PM

25,319 posts, read 41,412,361 times
Quote:
How do you celebrate birthdays now?
Nothing special, nothing planned. We don't even celebrate on my birthday. Usually, just a meal, a day that our kids, grandkids and great grandkids have a chance of being able to come by.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:35 PM

5,422 posts, read 2,339,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hello

Today happens to be my 54th birthday.

We went out to breakfast, where my OH asked the waitress about birthday "gifts" from the restaurant. Apparently another diner overheard, and while my breakfast was going to be free, the other diner paid our remain tab for us!

I'm waiting for a friend to come up from the city for a fun day.

I got a magazine with a friend's published article in it in the mail.

I also got a state school tax rebate Check in the mail, money in the mailbox is a great thing! On my birthday no less!

My OH has a yet to be known small gift for me I guess, I don't get to know until later today after my OH is out of work. Good things can come in small packages!

My father usually greased my birthday palm too. He called to wish me a happy birthday while we were out to breakfast. I will see him tomorrow.

So how DO YOU CELEBRATE? Or DON'T you anymore?

Remember I'm still only 29! For 25 years now!

She/he would have received the look of death from me.

Asking for free stuff? Nope.

Lol.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:12 AM

4,432 posts, read 2,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
She/he would have received the look of death from me.

Asking for free stuff? Nope.

Lol.
Nope, many restaurant chains have free meals for the birthday person, or a free desert. I think many got tired of singing happy birthday to the birthday person.

Many restaurants also give free meals to fathers nd mother's on their respective summer celebration days.

You must be so deprived.

And, hey, it never hurts to ask.

We didn't get any freebies at my chosen dinner restaurant. Not all restaurants have a freebie deal for birthdays.
It creates good will.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:30 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
On my kids birthday's (they are all adults now)I call them on the phone and sing them a birthday song. Not the traditional one, a funnier one. If they don't answer, I leave it on their voice mail. They call me corny but I know they love it and will miss it when I'm gone
My mom always did that. I still have the last one. Never be too quick to delete that voicemail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or