U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:42 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,544,220 times

Advertisements

Consider too that employees tend to rate based on their supervisor. No employee outside of top management can possibly have a comprehensive view. I don't know if there's widespread gaming of the review process at Glassdoor like their is at Amazon or travelocity, but if not, it's coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 07:11 AM

10,357 posts, read 9,385,677 times
Unless you personally know of several people who already work at a company and can get their input, the only way to know for certain if a job/company will work for you is after you're employed and the 'new employee honeymoon phase' is over.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:30 AM

6,349 posts, read 3,479,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Consider too that employees tend to rate based on their supervisor. No employee outside of top management can possibly have a comprehensive view. I don't know if there's widespread gaming of the review process at Glassdoor like their is at Amazon or travelocity, but if not, it's coming.
Two types of gaming -

1) the company HR team “strongly encourages” positive reviews when the overall trend or score is negative. You can see this when there are a flurry of 5 star reviews from the same place in a short period of time. Not against the rules, but certainly ethically questionable.

2) people posting multiple positive or negative reviews. This doesn’t work if posted from the same computer (look up browser fingerprinting), even if you use different IP addresses.

For Glassdoor in general, what I find most relevant are common themes, specific and detailed negative items or locations, and the trend. Also, does the company take the time to respond?

I agree with another poster - unless they are hiding bodies in the basement, the company is going under, or it is a role set up to fail, you can easily get a year or 2 out of any job, any company.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 PM

5,012 posts, read 1,806,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I've been looking for what I hope will be my last job before retiring. I am already 69, but still trying to work for the man every night and day, at least until the wife and I can downsize out of this too-big house and it's massive mortgage payment. Anyhow, I am scheduled for an lunch/interview tomorrow. Just for giggles, I check the company on Glassdoor. Crap! I wish I hadn't. Full of really negative reviews for the company I had hoped to get a gig with. Does anyone put any stock in those Glassdoor reviews?
I think it is one of the more accurate sites out there. Reviews of former employers have pretty much been dead on. It's not that hard to find someone working in that company, see if you can get them to give you some idea of what you are walking into.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:57 PM

4,493 posts, read 2,883,264 times
Like with any online review site, it can be VERY informative, but there may be some of them that are questionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Just bear in mind that a disgruntled employee is more likely to post a review than a gruntled employee.
While I can accept this as true, I'm thinking there may also be "shills" or otherwise who will cancel such imbalances

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
How long are you planning to work there?
Unless you know for sure that they are murdering people and burying them in the basement, at 69, if they offer you a job, I say take it.
that is this retiree's opinion.
I'm not a retiree, but that's what I'd go with. Unless it requires large commitments (like moving, selling your house, cost of being able to work at your current place), even if it ends up being hell on earth, you can always just quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
What sort of things are people complaining about.... because I'm curious.
--Management doesn't know what the hell they're doing...
Not pursuing new clients, not keeping up with new technology, under paying employees, expecting to low ball employees in poor work environments (e.g. less desirable area, traffic), managers who don't communicate, who don't fix problems that are brought up to them, letting go problem employees or projects, etc.

--Some companies overall get reps of being a poor place to work
OVERALL, so you definitely have some happy campers. However, in other case (online and in-person), see the bullet point above, toxic work culture, they'll massively underbid contracts by as much as 50% market rate, they'll ask employees to come in to work 10% less, but also dock their pay 10% accordingly.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:03 AM

8,980 posts, read 7,749,631 times
Quote:
I've been looking for what I hope will be my last job before retiring. I am already 69, but still trying to work for the man every night and day, at least until the wife and I can downsize out of this too-big house and it's massive mortgage payment. Anyhow, I am scheduled for an lunch/interview tomorrow. Just for giggles, I check the company on Glassdoor. Crap! I wish I hadn't. Full of really negative reviews for the company I had hoped to get a gig with. Does anyone put any stock in those Glassdoor reviews?
At your age you are in the survival mode versus the career building mode. Take the job and smile.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:27 PM

506 posts, read 261,422 times
I put up a review on Glassdoor on a company I worked at. You can see the progression from my review (one of the first real negative ones) for about 3 years until the company goes out of business as the reviews get more and more detailed, and negative.

As usual you should take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:27 AM

2,447 posts, read 3,666,532 times
I know about the Glassdoor website, but with this being a Retirement Forum I thought the question was regarding sliding glass patio doors.

From personal experience, the Nuclear Power Industry actively hires retirement age people for full time and part time gigs. Not much young blood entering the field and the equipment hasn't changed much in the past 40 years either.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:26 PM

189 posts, read 59,274 times
So, they did make an offer, and a fantastic one at that. I, of course, took it, so I am back working for man. The rate is fantastic, the place, a major player in aircraft avionics, is great, but the commute in 75 minutes each way on a good day, 90 or more on a bad day, but the rate is worth it. I hope this is the last contract, about 12 months, I have to do, if I can get out of this house in one year.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 PM

11,135 posts, read 8,548,081 times
Quote:
So, they did make an offer, and a fantastic one at that. I, of course, took it, so I am back working for man. The rate is fantastic, the place, a major player in aircraft avionics, is great, but the commute in 75 minutes each way on a good day, 90 or more on a bad day, but the rate is worth it. I hope this is the last contract, about 12 months, I have to do, if I can get out of this house in one year.
Good for you. The year will pass quickly. Just work on your house situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement