U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:20 AM

249 posts, read 197,706 times

Advertisements

Good for me today... my health, both my DH and I are (all things considered)in very good health. This gives us freedom to plan active days and vacations.

We know we are blessed beyond measure with this good health, that in itself is another blessing.

I'm thankful I have the vision to see the beauty around me and the healthy brain to appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 AM

7,325 posts, read 15,380,996 times
The thing I love most about retirement is that my time is finally my own - sure, I have a beloved spouse, a son, a dog, family and friends and various commitments here and there but I have no more highly stressful "must do" things. During my adult working life, there were many things that took priority over what I wanted to do, commitments (through love and affection) that required my time, energy and attention.

There is a term in geology - "isostatic rebound." It refers (mostly) to the end of the glacial age, when the massive continental glaciers were melting and the physical weight removed from the land caused it to rebound in the crust, actually lift up. That is how retirement has felt for me.

Now, when I get up in the morning, I can decide how I am going to spend my time. Have coffee, read the 'net, play an instrument, teach myself to crochet, go for a walk, get in the car and drive out to the coast? It is all my own choice (well, I do consult the spouse and we make decisions together, but if one of us strongly wants to do something, the other goes along).

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 09-26-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 09:47 AM

14,444 posts, read 7,951,594 times
What's not to love about having total freedom? I get into enough mischief to keep myself amused every day. I lost a week of fun because of this summer cold, and I resent anything that takes away from my fun time.

Today is the last day of the unusual heat wave we've had for a week now. It was kind of fun and we would have been at the beach a couple more times if it wasn't for this cold. I missed my night bike rides, ice skating, roller skating, and visits with two friends because of this cold, but the beauty of retirement is that you can do it all next week if you want to. Maybe I needed a good rest

Meanwhile there's a ton of green beans and tomatoes begging to be picked. Meh. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 AM

30 posts, read 18,091 times
Default Say it aint so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Although I'm not happy because I HATE where I live, today I'm going trout fishing.
Western Colorado is the dream. Love Ouray - Delores, Rico all through the San Juan's. I hope to spend quite a bit of time there when I retire.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM

1,074 posts, read 637,513 times
enjoy every day..ya might wake up dead tomorrow..

Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 AM

350 posts, read 259,705 times
Woke up to a beautiful morning, sun shining! Made it through hurricane Irma. DH and I are fine, our house is fine, and our pool is clean and sparkling. DH is out with his buddies playing some golf. Spoke to my 86 year old Mom on the phone, and she is fine and happy!

It'll be almost one year that we retired and moved to Naples, Florida. Love our new life and made a bunch of wonderful friends. Today is a good day!

Old 09-26-2017, 10:40 AM

2,886 posts, read 1,413,664 times
lol, I've got another one.

Just tried my first YOGA class and am now laughing at how uncoordinated I am. there will not be a second class.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:43 AM

1,732 posts, read 766,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

What's GOOD in your life today??
In just the last few days our "dry heat" has cooled down from the low hundreds to about 90 (a pleasant Autumn day).

I bought a car on Friday. I'm happy about that.

I'm taking my girlfriend to see the new Kingsman movie today. Watched the first one on Amazon last night. It was pretty good.

I've been retired for 11 years. House is paid for, cars are paid for, no debts, comfortable retirement fund.

Some medical issues that I've learned to live with but nothing that's likely to kill me any time soon.

All in all, enjoying life.

Prepared for the future but not stressing over it.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,792,332 times
I'm happy because there's only 183 days left on my countdown to Retirement app on my phone! We have picked a builder for our house in Florida and have received preliminary house plans from him. Our daughter is newly married and pregnant! LOTS of stuff to be happy about.
Except that this is our last day of unusually warm weather. THAT makes me sad.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:27 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,769,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I've got another one.

Just tried my first YOGA class and am now laughing at how uncoordinated I am. there will not be a second class.

I think you are making a mistake. Please go for a second, a third, and a tenth, and a twentieth class! I started yoga at an old age (early 60's) and I have never been coordinated. The progress will be slow, but so worthwhile. I'm so glad I discovered yoga. It's especially important for us older folks. Please get over your embarrassment and remember that many of the other students have probably been at it for years. It is not a competitive sport!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or