U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:15 PM

11,090 posts, read 12,473,002 times

Advertisements

Well after driving an hour to my favorite town and where I wish I still lived, I caught four rainbow trout, visited an old friend and just enjoyed seeing the snowcapped mountains and breathing the fresh crisp air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 06:41 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
I have posted about this before, so I'll try to be brief, but I have an answer to the thread title question. I am happy in retirement and there is something quite wonderful in my life, namely my volunteer job. Three days a week I go to elementary and middle schools, where I read aloud to fifth grade classes and conduct lunch time chess activities for the students. These activities suit me to a tee - I find them so gratifying and so enjoyable. And the weird thing is I fell into them almost by accident. I feel very fortunate.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,888,823 times
Our family will start partying tomorrow for my granddaughter's 22nd birthday and party until next Easter when her mother has a birthday. There are two vacations, several birthdays, and six holidays in that timeframe. Then we will start traveling again next May. Is that happy enough for you?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:48 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well after driving an hour to my favorite town and where I wish I still lived, I caught four rainbow trout, visited an old friend and just enjoyed seeing the snowcapped mountains and breathing the fresh crisp air.
Go up North Cora and see my new foundation walls!

Old 09-26-2017, 07:12 PM

5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
What's GOOD in your life today??
This was lunch, eaten with locals on a long table at a corner joint here in Guatemala.

For me it doesn't get any better than this, I love food and food culture and have spent most of retirement traveling the world indulging. Life be good.

Trying all the local beers ain't a bad deal either.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:11 PM

18,099 posts, read 22,960,701 times
Well, OP, this forum is about all aspects of retirement. It's not a positive thinking group. So, I take a little issue with your OP saying people in this forum are negative. Lots of positives and lots of reality and many, many issues are discussed here.

What makes me happiest right now, is the fact that I am back in my chosen city of San Jose, and my health is improving to the point that I can go for a 40 minute walk in a gorgeous neighborhood every morning, which includes a well-known, historic rose garden, that I walk around with my dog every day.

This also makes me happy because not only is the weather perfect, the neighborhood is gorgeous with different architectural styles, and safe, but it's also free :-)

Old 09-27-2017, 08:18 PM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
I'm happy as I can be in my 70th year with a few health issues. I love where I live. I have good friends. I do what I want. I went to the doctor today for a checkup and the word "colonoscopy" did not come up.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:54 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,734,369 times
I am a day late getting this as I had no internet for most of the past 2 days. So starting yesterday, I had a beautiful day, mostly sunny but with great clouds and high temps in the low 70s. We visited John Day, Sheep Rock section, then traveled late in the afternoon to the mountains north of Burns, Or. We had a great forest service campground to ourselves. We even had water and free firewood. Today we traveled into Nevada and tomorrow should be stopped just outside of Zion. Two good days!!

Old 09-28-2017, 01:33 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
I've already listed why I am happy in retirement in the many other threads where people were doing the same. But to that I would also add I am content which to me is just as, if not more important than being happy.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:59 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I stumbled across C-D while researching beach towns to retire to and while I find it really informative, I also find it a little.... depressing.

It seems like forum wide we are some unhappy campers, whether stressing over whether or not we'll end up in a nursing home (is that all we worry about approaching retirement) to the price of deli meat.

lol, the irony that I'm whining about whining is not lost on this gal.

Anyhoo,

What's GOOD in your life today?? In the interest of full disclosure, I am one of those annoying people in your office that is happy before everyone has their morning coffee. take it slow, lol start with a little thing.

I'll start it off..

The weather in PHiladelphia where I live has been BEAUTIFUL for the last couple of day. still summer like but not oppressive. I walked to the gym and back yesterday.
Oh here we go.

No the irony is you're not retired, probably don't hang around with retired people, aren't traditional retirement age, and somehow have missed all the people here and in real life who are HAPPY in retirement.

More irony: A guy with an active busy Deli Meat thread isn't even retired (or OLD) and it's in the FOOD sub-forum. Because it's a thing.

Anyone else priced out of your local deli - cold cuts by the $$ cost ?

More irony - considering this subforum has been discussing the attitudes and conflicts that sometimes arise between the retired versus younger people and others who aren't retired (and especially those who don't disclose it).

So what you're saying is "You retired people are.....depressing".

Ironic that you're not retired, yet the most interesting thing about YOUR day is the weather and a walk outside while you call other people depressing LOL.

Yes of course all are welcome here, it's a public message board. But there are some norms that are completely disregarded.

I could be the same way:

You non-retired people are ....um....clueless (? does that work as a descriptor)

Irony you're obsessing about retirement somewhere in the future but find depressing the focused discussion of the very real issues actual retired people face when they finally cut the cord and FEEL the impacts of the finite amount of dollars they will have access to for an indefinite number of decades - as costs rise.

Let alone all the great men here who put their wives' future first and foremost.

Maybe calling a group of people depressing isn't exactly the best way to win friends and influence people that you have nothing in common with anyway.

It's sort of like a man or a non-biomom telling a woman that being pregnant and delivering a baby is a piece of cake and stop talking about it.

Senior Americans are a very easy and the last remaining target to analyze, judge, and criticize, without any PC repercussions, it seems. And sometimes quite disingenuously and for weird reasons. IMO.

Too old to travel

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-28-2017 at 06:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or