U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:07 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,408,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Oh here we go.

No the irony is you're not retired, probably don't hang around with retired people, and somehow have missed all the people here and in real life who are HAPPY in retirement.

More irony: A guy with an active busy Deli Meat thread isn't even retired and it's in the FOOD sub-forum. Because it's a thing.

Anyone else priced out of your local deli - cold cuts by the $$ cost ?

More irony - considering this subforum has been discussing the attitudes and conflicts that sometimes arise between the retired versus younger people who aren't retired (and especially those who don't disclose it).

So what you're saying is "You retired people are.....depressing".

Yes of course all are welcome here, it's a public message board. But there are some norms that are completely disregarded.

I could be the same way:

You non-retired people are ....um....clueless (? does that work as a descriptor)

Irony you're obsessing about retirement somewhere in the future but find focused discussion of the very real issues actual retired people face when they finally cut the cord and FEEL the impacts of a finite amount of dollars they will have access to for an indefinite number of decades.

Let alone all the great men here who put their wives future first and foremost.

Maybe calling a group of people depressing isn't exactly the best way to win friends and influence people that you have nothing in common with anyway.

uhhmm a bit wrong, not much but still wrong.

I'm the only one still working in my social circle, which I will admit is very small. My siblings, friends and most coworkers my age and up have all retired.

Not totally clueless as since I plan to retire within the next year or two, have been researching it extensively to plan for it and while I recognize that research and actuality are often two different things, I also believe in Knowledge is power. the more I research the more "pitfalls" i can hope to avoid. I also hang out at early-retirement.org and boglehead to get my financial side of life in order. I don't know anyone (and again my circle is small) who just woke up one day and retired, everyone I know planned for it.

Haven't cut the cord but have had the cord cut from me when mega corp let me go.

not sure what the "great men and wives comment" means so can't respond to that.

I didn't call the people here "depressing", I said I found the information a bit depressing. two totally different things, hence the question of who is happy.

Yep it's a message board which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Now as far as winning "friends", pretty much until now the thread was fun and friendly with most people weighing in rather nicely but if you feel insulted, I definitely apologies and will not take it personally if you prefer to put me on an ignore list

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 09-28-2017 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 07:20 AM

10,137 posts, read 12,395,557 times
For now I have come to the conclusion I wouldn't be as happy retired as I am now working so I am just going to keep on working.

I will keep working until I don't want to anymore. One, two, five or ten years? I dunno, whatever.

The good side of this is I am at the KMA stage of life with employment. KMA is Kiss My *ss which means I only work because I want to and when I don't want to I will walk away.

If retired means you do what you want to do then I guess you could say I am retired even if I am working.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:21 AM

5,792 posts, read 4,846,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Just this morning my RE Office toured the local Canine Companions beautiful new facility that trains Labs / Goldens to be support animals for Vets and other disabled. They train about 40 dogs per quarter and match them with people who also go through a 2 week program. They need people to raise and basic train the pups to about 18 months then take them back for extensive advanced training. I'd love to take on the basic training but not able at this time. They do offer a training where you can babysit the dogs when their trainers go on vacation. I may volunteer for that shorter service.

This was one of the best things I've seen in life and very inspirational. There was a Vet there who lost both legs bringing his dog in for a checkup.

These dogs are amazing. They specifically breed these dogs and will use no other breeds.

cci.org | Homepage
I also volunteer for a disabled vet service dog organization! I'm happy to hear of another great organization doing this work. We only work with vets in the southeastern states surrounding our home state of Tennessee.

Smoky Mountain Service Dogs provides mobility assistance dogs at no cost to vets. I'm proud to provide assistance in the public events area of this group that uses 97% of every dollar donated directly to the raising and training of these valuable aids to the welfare of those who gave so much in service to our country.

www.smokymountainservicedogs.org

(I hope this doesn't violate any TOS)

Old 09-28-2017, 08:22 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,480,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I stumbled across C-D while researching beach towns to retire to and while I find it really informative, I also find it a little.... depressing.

It seems like forum wide we are some unhappy campers, whether stressing over whether or not we'll end up in a nursing home (is that all we worry about approaching retirement) to the price of deli meat.

lol, the irony that I'm whining about whining is not lost on this gal.

Anyhoo,

What's GOOD in your life today?? In the interest of full disclosure, I am one of those annoying people in your office that is happy before everyone has their morning coffee. take it slow, lol start with a little thing.

I'll start it off..

The weather in PHiladelphia where I live has been BEAUTIFUL for the last couple of day. still summer like but not oppressive. I walked to the gym and back yesterday.
I'm not technically retired at 61, but I haven't gone into a job in years and my work is in my sewing room/studio working at whatever I darn well please. It's true I've encountered many potentially depressing people, but they have rarely been retirees. I think most people focus on what's good in their lives.

As always, it's always the beholder's interpretation of things. As for your post, me thinks you might be trying a bit too hard.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:00 AM

2,698 posts, read 1,631,100 times
My mother is retired. My father isn't, but he works from home and his job consists of answering emails and the occasional phone call, and getting paid to fly around the country to participate in charity golf outings and lavish dinners. So, he's not quite ready to give that up.

Both of them live like they are retired. They take lots of trips, go gambling a lot, (they just got back from Atlantic City, flight and hotel were paid for as my father had a charity dinner that his company paid for) and enjoy spending time with their grandchild. Other than that they spend time working in their backyard, my mother is involved with a couple local women's groups ranging from book clubs to parks and rec events. My father plays tennis and hangs out at the country club.

At this point, they both still have good health (age 68 and 69) so they are enjoying themselves. They're not into online forums, though my mother plays video poker quite a bit online LOL.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:26 AM

195 posts, read 106,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
uhhmm a bit wrong, not much but still wrong.

I'm the only one still working in my social circle, which I will admit is very small. My siblings, friends and most coworkers my age and up have all retired.

Not totally clueless as since I plan to retire within the next year or two, have been researching it extensively to plan for it and while I recognize that research and actuality are often two different things, I also believe in Knowledge is power. the more I research the more "pitfalls" i can hope to avoid. I also hang out at early-retirement.org and boglehead to get my financial side of life in order. I don't know anyone (and again my circle is small) who just woke up one day and retired, everyone I know planned for it.

Haven't cut the cord but have had the cord cut from me when mega corp let me go.

not sure what the "great men and wives comment" means so can't respond to that.

I didn't call the people here "depressing", I said I found the information a bit depressing. two totally different things, hence the question of who is happy.

Yep it's a message board which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Now as far as winning "friends", pretty much until now the thread was fun and friendly with most people weighing in rather nicely but if you feel insulted, I definitely apologies and will not take it personally if you prefer to put me on an ignore list
Don't worry... some people will find something offensive in anything you say but that is their problem and not yours.

I "retired" at 50, not by choice. My husband and I had a construction company and in 2008 the market crashed and we couldn't sell the houses we already had so there was no point in continuing to build. I hated it at first because I have been working since 15 yo and I felt more "unemployed" than retired. Once I moved to Florida and became officially retired I got used to it immediately and I am very happy.

After a few years I bought a house down the street from me, a real fixer-upper, and began renovating it. It took a while because my husband isn't well so I couldn't leave him alone for long periods. Once I was finished I persuaded my sister to retire and move down here. She couldn't wait to do it.

After 5 months of retirement she took a job with her old company and moved back to Georgia. She just couldn't adjust to not having someplace to be every day. She was miserable.

There is no way to know how you are going to adjust to retirement until you actually do it. My advice is, find some hobbies and interests that you would really like to do if you had the time and be ready to jump into some of them after you pull the trigger. Often, people who are bored are that way because they haven't made enough of an effort not to be.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:20 AM

6,599 posts, read 3,677,435 times
Quote:
Oh here we go.

No the irony is you're not retired, probably don't hang around with retired people, aren't traditional retirement age, and somehow have missed all the people here and in real life who are HAPPY in retirement....

Senior Americans are a very easy and the last remaining target to analyze, judge, and criticize, without any PC repercussions, it seems. And sometimes quite disingenuously and for weird reasons. IMO.
Be careful...don't hurt yourself carrying the huge chip.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:36 PM

982 posts, read 145,287 times
I love going to sleep when I'm sleepy and waking up when I'm finished sleeping. What a concept.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
Quote:

somehow eliza61nyc (the OP) has missed all the people here and in real life who are HAPPY in retirement.

You non-retired people are ....um....clueless (? does that work as a descriptor)

Irony you're obsessing about retirement somewhere in the future but find depressing the focused discussion of the very real issues actual retired people face when they finally cut the cord and FEEL the impacts of the finite amount of dollars they will have access to for an indefinite number of decades - as costs rise.

Let alone all the great men here who put their wives' future first and foremost.

Senior Americans are a very easy and the last remaining target to analyze, judge, and criticize, without any PC politically correct repercussions, it seems. And sometimes quite disingenuously and for weird reasons. IMO.
excellent thoughts above, runswithscissors. And very accurate.

I think the OP's initial post is unfortunate in its content and tone (and ridiculously unnecessarily insulting) She just joined in June 2017 - so she apparently hasn't seen the MANY threads in Retirement forum about retired people being happy and content in retirement, loving the freedom from work, avidly pursuing interests, and loving free time.

And to criticize threads on legitimate concerns of retired people shows a lack of awareness.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-28-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 04:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 963,602 times
What's good in my life? Well, today I slept late. I got up and had a bowl of cereal and toddled around, took a shower and did some errands.

Then I picked up my little step-grandchild at her nursery school and took her to lunch at Chick-Fil-A. We had lunch and played in the playroom.

Then we went to Dollar Tree and she spent a happy half hour picking out a couple of treats.

Then we came back to my house and baked brownies.

Then I took her home. That's the great part.....I get to be the best step-Grandma in the world providing all the fun and treats and sugar and then I get to take her home before she gets cranky.

None of this could have happened on a Thursday before I retired. God, I love retirement.

Tomorrow, I'm going to sleep late. Don't know what I'm going to do with the rest of my day, but whatever it is, it's one heck of a lot better than working.

Yep, life is good. I'm happy. Next week, I'm going to take a 10-day trip outside the country. That's something else I couldn't do much of before retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or