Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:46 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times

Advertisements

We retired 5 years ago this month. I was looking forward to all kinds of spontaneous travel; didn't happen. First, we had more work on the retirement house than we expected. And we threw it all into the budget. We had planned well and had the funds to do it. What we hadn't planned on was the number of stray animals and the lack of any kind of shelter or county solution to the problem of unwanted animals.

So we wound up fostering. After several different dogs, we became foster fails. And she is a wonderful Service Dog - so I now have more freedom than I expected. Then another dog arrived - he is a senior - and there just weren't a crowd of folks looking for a big, old, scared coonhound. So we have 2 big dogs who adore each other and protect the homestead with their all. Then we added some kittens, fosters - ya rite. This place is overrun with cats; and just recently we added 2 more kittens (we came with cats!). Life is good, we are loved and entertained - and protected. Then a friend in need asked for help - to buy her house, let her pay rent and make the repairs/changes while she fixes her credit and can buy it back. So we bought a 2nd house - a small farm.

And in the last 2 months, we started a non-profit corporation to work on getting spay-neuter grants to do something in this county. And my husband has started getting his social security (he retired early) and we're tweaking the budget to get the repairs/updating on the house moving faster and we're taking a trip shortly. It's only our 4th one since retiring, but it sure won't be our last.

Our pool issues are solved, and the weather is still holding for using it. Life is pretty good. None of the above was a complaint. it's all good. Changing plans is something we've always done.

Oh, and we got married 2 years ago and in 2 weeks, we'll have been together for 20 years. Not bad for 2 old fogies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 06:48 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Woke up with congestion, sore throat - feeling bad - and happy that I don't have to be anywhere! I can stay home and take care of myself.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:53 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
We retired 5 years ago this month. I was looking forward to all kinds of spontaneous travel; didn't happen. First, we had more work on the retirement house than we expected. And we threw it all into the budget. We had planned well and had the funds to do it. What we hadn't planned on was the number of stray animals and the lack of any kind of shelter or county solution to the problem of unwanted animals.

So we wound up fostering. After several different dogs, we became foster fails. And she is a wonderful Service Dog - so I now have more freedom than I expected. Then another dog arrived - he is a senior - and there just weren't a crowd of folks looking for a big, old, scared coonhound. So we have 2 big dogs who adore each other and protect the homestead with their all. Then we added some kittens, fosters - ya rite. This place is overrun with cats; and just recently we added 2 more kittens (we came with cats!). Life is good, we are loved and entertained - and protected. Then a friend in need asked for help - to buy her house, let her pay rent and make the repairs/changes while she fixes her credit and can buy it back. So we bought a 2nd house - a small farm.

And in the last 2 months, we started a non-profit corporation to work on getting spay-neuter grants to do something in this county. And my husband has started getting his social security (he retired early) and we're tweaking the budget to get the repairs/updating on the house moving faster and we're taking a trip shortly. It's only our 4th one since retiring, but it sure won't be our last.

Our pool issues are solved, and the weather is still holding for using it. Life is pretty good. None of the above was a complaint. it's all good. Changing plans is something we've always done.

Oh, and we got married 2 years ago and in 2 weeks, we'll have been together for 20 years. Not bad for 2 old fogies.
wow - that sounds wonderful - I take in stray animals. I now have 9 pups, but this last one is definitely not going to be a foster failure. She will find a real home with more one on one attention. She is such a good pup.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:13 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Life at any stage is what you make of it. We are doing lots of fun things and lots of work around our home in retirement. My husband has time to see more of his elderly mother, helping friends with their homes, gardening, getting back into his guitar, I have gotten back to painting, I am volunteering in computer help, taking short trips with friends. I have also spent years recovering from many surgeries. Do what you can and "be content in whatsoever state you are in".

Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 AM

307 posts, read 195,552 times
I'm very happy in retirement. I've gotten to take a part-time passion, and turn it into a full-time thrill ride. I travel much more often, without having to "get back by Monday". Put 32K miles on the car last year, not counting other forms of travel.

And, last night, I played video games until 2am. Knowing that there's no alarm clock is a great little pleasure, too.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:26 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
We are also very happy in retirement. Time is what is the "good" for us. Time to volunteer, time to travel, time to play, and time to get enough sleep.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Lots of crappy stuff this AM (skunk caught in trap I set in the barn! I have pink eye again) but...... I woke up and on the floor by my bed, sound asleep, tucked in their blankets, were my 2 old adopted Dobermans, Guinness and Sarah. There is nothing more wonderful (except maybe a horse in the barn) than the comfort of my dogs near by.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Although I'm not happy because I HATE where I live, today I'm going trout fishing.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:43 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I'm happy most of the time. I've always been that way and my wife is also like that. It's why we found each other.

I think that much of your disposition is genetic.

Bad things happen to everybody. But those with a positive disposition recover. Have you ever seen a 3 legged dog? Somehow, they recover and keep running despite the loss. We're both like that.

Retirement is wonderful.
I agree with you, it's all about outlook and you get back what you give out too.

I'm happily retired, and my family is happy.

We went to Legoland on Saturday and started in the water park. When a huge, monster bucket of water above and unnoticed by us, tipped over inundating us with water and almost knocking me down, I knew it was going to be a great day.

Vision67, the Association was one of the first groups I fell in love with as a tween, thanks for that.

I loved the British Invasion too, even the upbeat, non-edgy groups.
Here's to retirement and staying positive:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=STNtH-orVpE

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-26-2017 at 08:55 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Woke up today to a beautiful sunrise! The weather is a bit cooler but is expected to get hot again [Arizona!]. Grateful that I have friends and good medical care, and good eyesight. Grateful for my home, family, and church family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement