U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:41 AM

2,875 posts, read 1,404,432 times

Advertisements

So I stumbled across C-D while researching beach towns to retire to and while I find it really informative, I also find it a little.... depressing.

It seems like forum wide we are some unhappy campers, whether stressing over whether or not we'll end up in a nursing home (is that all we worry about approaching retirement) to the price of deli meat.

lol, the irony that I'm whining about whining is not lost on this gal.

Anyhoo,

What's GOOD in your life today?? In the interest of full disclosure, I am one of those annoying people in your office that is happy before everyone has their morning coffee. take it slow, lol start with a little thing.

I'll start it off..

The weather in PHiladelphia where I live has been BEAUTIFUL for the last couple of day. still summer like but not oppressive. I walked to the gym and back yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:50 AM

1,137 posts, read 570,166 times
Cooler weather is on its way, skies are blue, wife recovered from two cataract surgeries, and can now see. 62 work days left before retirement and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Plus the word is, the fish are still waiting for me.

Lot's of good surrounds us if we just take the time to look for it!

Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,143,473 times
Everyone's life has good and bad/sad aspects. It's 4AM and I can't sleep. Been up for an hour So I focus on God's blessings and with thankfulness I find myself getting sleepy. Lesson learned.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:08 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,238,434 times
I woke up breathing again.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:27 AM

7,101 posts, read 3,461,680 times
We are in the midst of renovating a hacienda in Central Mexico. Mostly done with the main house, we are moving onto the casita. The pool looks great, but we are getting input on the best way to landscape around it.

We walk to a myriad of international eateries every night for dinner.

We are busy, active and engaged in our local community. We helped sort through donations for the earthquake victims in other parts of Mexico.

Life is good...no, make that: life is great!

Old 09-26-2017, 05:33 AM

2,165 posts, read 1,266,382 times
Your observation has not been lost on me, and one of the reasons I frequent here less. Inevitably when the discussion is about anything financial or practical that is positive or required planning and effort to raise ones standards the first response is “not everyone can do that, and here is my sad song” or you are accused of the humble brag. I’m not a touchy feely person, so much of the content here is of no interest to me. However there area lot of intelligent and interesting people here and much can be gleaned that is quite valuable. I only have 30 months at most to go before retirement and though I don’t hate my job, I am still looking forward to the new freeer (?) lifestyle that I have been saving for.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:37 AM

4,435 posts, read 2,612,363 times
People tend to only complain about bad things.

The good gets lost in the quagmire.

Yesterday was my birthday ( stop over to my post " how do you celebrate birthdays now? Thread).

I got 2 gifts in the mail, one a lot of money in a check.
I got breakfast out taken care of and the balance paid for by another diner. Went out to dinner at a fabulous place.

Today will be warm with blue skies. Very much as the OP said in the opening post, nice and warm, low humidity. One of the last few at least for a while.

I'll be harvesting the last of my garden soon.

My OH got extra hours at work which will help us tremendously.

Right now, any way, life is Good!

Old 09-26-2017, 05:44 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
I'm happy most of the time. I've always been that way and my wife is also like that. It's why we found each other.

I think that much of your disposition is genetic.

Bad things happen to everybody. But those with a positive disposition recover. Have you ever seen a 3 legged dog? Somehow, they recover and keep running despite the loss. We're both like that.

Retirement is wonderful.

Now is the "Time for Livin'_"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZEhti1FWA

Old 09-26-2017, 05:48 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,643,583 times
People post their concerns but I don't presume that represents their whole life ��Even happy people can deal with unhappy things . With that said my motto is carpe diem and this morning will be spent with my bestie, this afternoon working on an art idea and dancing around the house to my fave music ��

Old 09-26-2017, 06:21 AM

12,700 posts, read 14,077,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
....lol, the irony that I'm whining about whining is not lost on this gal. ....
Excellent beginning, IMO, because it strikes me that most people who vehemently complain about other people complaining do miss the irony aspect of it.

...however, I did blow something I had planned by forgetting to set the clock (grump, grump, grump)...so tomorrow. At the moment I am getting ready log off and go out to a local lighthouse point for lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or