U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 47,704 times

Advertisements

I keep changing my mind about where we are going to move to during our retirement years. It would be nice to hear some opinions about these areas that we are looking at:
One of our choices was the Albuquerque NM area. The cost of living is lower than where we are at now (NW Washington State).

We are also looking at the Tucson AZ area. I am from Bellingham WA and my husband is from NE Arizona. I love both the NW and the SW and have spent a great deal of time in both places.

I have also loved Oregon since I was a kid but I don't know what it is like now. I would imagine that there is a higher cost of living there just as there is in Bellingham WA.

The things important to us are:

Good medical--I am disabled and have health problems
Public transportation--I no longer drive
Outdoor trails--we love to camp and observe Nature
Living near people who respect the environment
Some things to do such as going out to hear music once in awhile

This forum is great for getting ideas as there are those of you who live in these places and can give the pros and cons. The climate is Albuquerque is great but I was concerned about how much I used to hear on the news about gang related activity when I watched the news down there. Maybe that isn't the way things really are. We will welcome any ideas!
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 03:36 PM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Maybe you should post on the New Mexico forum, also. I do think that any place near good publc transport in Albq. would not necessarily be affordable, assuming you wanted to pay for a safer neighborhood. It's kind of the catch in so many places- housing accessible to public transport is just more expensive. It's something I consider, too.
I've heard that Medford, Orgeon (or is it Ashland) is very well suited for people with disabilities, and that it's a very popular retirement place. Sorry I can't remember which one it is. The city has some sort of research facility for mobile-handicapped, and the whole area is well set up for various difficulties (and, I assume, medical care).
I do think Albq. offers much of what you want, assuming you could afford a safe neighborhood. I do think the crime stats are fairly telling.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Might give a serious look to Portland, OR
It is flush with medical, public transit, Forest Park (HUGE), music (free in summer), greenies + lots of gardens, parks, community, & of course...Powell's books!! I think there are locations within the metro area that would be as affordable as any other desirable place. OR income tax is a heavy hit, but probably not if you are in a normal or lower income range.

I would look into a mid-winter option in Tucson, maybe renting an efficiency apartment or a room in someone's basement or guest house.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:30 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,510,875 times
I also want to move west and am debating about where would be a more pleasant place for retirees to live. New Mexico ? Portland ? Seattle, Washington? Or (if the prices for housing ever collapse) San Francisco.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-18-2008 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,577,349 times
Not sure you would love AZ where we live. Public transportation is not so great. We are in N.Peoria and I don't think buses even come up this far. I would hunt in N.M.
There is a small college town in CA that we left behind a few years back. Chico is located in Butte County and has great public transportation. It also has the arts and theaters galore. Butte Co. is also the least expensive county in CA. You can still find little bungalows in the high $100K's. Chico State is right in the middle of the town and the downtown area is very historic and offers some awesome little shops and restaurants. It is located about 1.5 hours north of Sacramento and 4 hours east of San Francisco, so both are a reasonable travel time. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 PM

You can still find little bungalows in the high $100K's.

Wow. California for the $100s. I would not have known that & it sounds like a cute little place.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 AM

823 posts, read 3,374,302 times
In May we are going to check out Reno, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, NM and El Paso. Our first priority was finding an area that had low humidity and milder winters then we have here in New York. Except for El Paso I'm pretty sure the other 3 cities will meet you list of needs.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,577,349 times
Chico is a very cute, historic hippy dippy town. I miss the shops and the food, especially the food. The down town is very busy when the Chico State students are there, but then it quiets down when they go home. Very big on art. I miss the art studios and classes they offered. Prices are down a little right now, but Chico takes some upward jumps when it does move. Lots of wealthy professors there. Good hunting.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 PM

414 posts, read 1,469,475 times
Ashland, Oregon has everything required except the public transportation. There are a few over-55 communities right in town though and they have shuttle services. There's a university, the Shakespeare Festival; all the good stuff. Expensive houses but otherwise not too high a COL.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM

I have a friend who every summer, travels all the way from Long Island to that Shakespeare Festival. It must be pretty wonderful.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement