U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,615,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'll make you a deal. You make it to 60 and I'll make it to 62 (I'm 58) and we'll meet somewhere and celebrate

May I come along, too? Single and 60, juggling 4 p-t education jobs to make ends meet. Gave up looking for full-time work in education over a decade ago, as it's become a kind of LSD carnival out there (no...never did LSD; just guessing) and nobody wants an old broad, anyway. Private health insurance wiped out ALL of my savings, and now I'm on Obama Care (and am grateful, but mortified). No nice pension for me; just a small annunity stipend which will last for about another 20 years (thank God) if the market doesn't crash. Am EXHAUSTED and sometimes don't even remember what day it is or where I'm driving due to the stress of it all.

I plan on collecting SS at the earliest possible moment. It will be a very TIGHT retirement, but anything beats this worry and tension which greet me every morning. Still have my faith and my sense of humor by some miracle, but SO look forward to the day when I can walk away from all of this and volunteer in canine rescue and perhaps at a homeless shelter. Unable to see the "Finish Line" yet...but I know it's out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 07:51 AM

31,844 posts, read 20,102,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband and his friends used to hunt.

I used to have a big garden.

We didn't live in a shack.

I bought cloth to sew things.

Leeches and maggots have been grown in labs for decades to do what they do the best. They have saved people from losing a limb or dying from an open, infected wound. Not pretty, but it works.
Well, if we had to survive on son's fishing (he does well), and my garden which only produces chilis, green onions and some basil, and my sewing skills (I have a machine) it would be a sad life.

Technically we have no leeches here (that I know of), but they would not put my husband's bone back, or control my RA......

Are you saying you could live with out a job? Because that was my point, we trade money for things that make our life comfortable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Last edited by Mikala43; 10-07-2017 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 08:48 AM

991 posts, read 387,505 times
I get what the OP is saying. I was thinking about this very subject myself recently. Modern work does seem like a rat race where you never get anywhere and your efforts are only helping a small minority reach the elusive "American Dream".

I could speak volumes on this, but briefly for some background on my opinion; one of my grandparents was an indentured servant when she came to this country. She worked in exchange for room, board and food.

Many people today have so little money left over from their paychecks that they are working for basically the same things. Just maintaining a roof over their head and keeping the lights on takes almost all of what they earn. Sure, they may have a false sense of "freedom" because they can leave at any time but unless they like living on the street they just have the ability to change employers. They never have any real freedom from working for others. More importantly, they have no money left over to enjoy the two days of leisure time a week they do have. Unless they put it on a credit card of course , but that is a whole other form of modern slavery that people get trapped into....

I may be in the minority on this board, but I am not alone in feeling this way sometimes. Many posters seem to be doing quite well based on their comments. Grandview Gloria made a very good post that sums up why working for yourself doesn't seem like work in the same sense that the OP is concerned about.

There are many posting here that state they have money for retirement, etc., but that is not the norm. Most Americans, (57%) don't have enough money in savings to cover a $500 unexpected expense. The average statistic I am reading is up to 69% for a $1K expense. Normally I am skeptical of statistics like this, but it's pretty easy for banks to track what people have in savings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-am...gency-expense/

Last edited by motownnative; 10-07-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 08:58 AM

519 posts, read 432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
There's well over 1 billion people on this earth and hundreds of societies to maintain them all.
More like 7.5 billion people currently destroying the Earth and life as we know it. Just saying...

Old 10-07-2017, 09:10 AM

276 posts, read 123,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
More like 7.5 billion people currently destroying the Earth and life as we know it. Just saying...
Alternative is mass murder. Take your pick.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:12 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,027,964 times
as a former resident of a NYC suburb I can attest to the fact that living on either coast is much harder than living in a lower cost of living area. employment opportunities for myself as well as my children have been pretty good. I found a job after a week of searching, but in NY I found nothing after 4 years.

after paying mortgage, property tax, and daycare we barely had enough money to eat some months so the credit cards got a lot of excersize.

After moving away from NY, it took roughly 4 years to pay off our credit cards. (my early trial retirement didn't help.) We will be credit card debt free in 2 more months.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:18 AM

8,777 posts, read 10,885,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksnacknyc View Post
So is everyone in NYC okay with slaving for other people and retiring at an old age and then dying?
It honestly doesn't make any sense to me...
why is life set up this way? It's a system I know but... don't we all wanna stay away from the system?
Thoughts on this?

Responsible people work to take care of their families and themselves --- and everyone ultimately retires at an old age and dies. Not sure what about this doesn't make sense to you?

It sounds like you are young and idealistic ... and projecting biased notions of "slaving for the man" on life. Instead of looking for a way out, figure-out how to work with the 'system' to achieve your goals and objectives.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 AM

912 posts, read 534,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I get what the OP is saying. I was thinking about this very subject myself recently. Modern work does seem like a rat race where you never get anywhere and your efforts are only helping a small minority reach the elusive "American Dream".

I could speak volumes on this, but briefly for some background on my opinion; one of my grandparents was an indentured servant when she came to this country. She worked in exchange for room, board and food.

Many people today have so little money left over from their paychecks that they are working for basically the same things. Just maintaining a roof over their head and keeping the lights on takes almost all of what they earn. Sure, they may have a false sense of "freedom" because they can leave at any time but unless they like living on the street they just have the ability to change employers. They never have any real freedom from working for others. More importantly, they have no money left over to enjoy the two days of leisure time a week they do have. Unless they put it on a credit card of course , but that is a whole other form of modern slavery that people get trapped into....

I may be in the minority on this board, but I am not alone in feeling this way sometimes. Many posters seem to be doing quite well based on their comments. Grandview Gloria made a very good post that sums up why working for yourself doesn't seem like work in the same sense that the OP is concerned about.

There are many posting here that state they have money for retirement, etc., but that is not the norm. Most Americans, (57%) don't have enough money in savings to cover a $500 unexpected expense. The average statistic I am reading is up to 69% for a $1K expense. Normally I am skeptical of statistics like this, but it's pretty easy for banks to track what people have in savings.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-am...gency-expense/
I have thought about this same topic as I have kids who will soon enter college age and I can hear the fear when they talk about the future. There is this enormous pressure for earning perfect grades in high school, doing enough sports, enough volunteering, so that you can enter the "Hunger Games" and get into a good college with hopefully enough scholarships so that you don't graduate with massive debt. Then you must have perfect internship experiences in the right college major because companies don't offer training to new employees anymore and they will only hire those with experience which is this great Catch 22. So then if you are lucky enough to make it through all of those hoops then you can work your whole life and hopefully own your own home and make enough money to live yet save enough for retirement and health care until you have enough to stop working and die.

I think opportunities to be as successful as the older posters on this forum just don't exist like they used to. Government regulations, skyrocketing college, healthcare and housing costs are limiting factors as are disappearing pensions. It does make you question the big rat race we have accepted as normal.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 AM

25,162 posts, read 24,051,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, if we had to survive on son's fishing (he does well), and my garden which only produces chilis, green onions and some basil, and my sewing skills (I have a machine) it would be a sad life.

Technically we have no leeches here (that I know of), but they would not put my husband's bone back, or control my RA......

Are you saying you could live with out a job? Because that was my point, we trade money for things that make our life comfortable.
We trade money, goods and services for those same things. Money is the most useful, but it's not the only thing. When my son was in his teens, he fixed his friends cars for whatever they could afford to give him. It could be anything--a cell phone, a football jersey, rides because he didn't own a car.

During the depression, my grandmother didn't have a regular job. She did get paid for providing services like cleaning, washing clothes, cooking, but sometimes she got food or fuel for the stove. She had a garden and kept chickens.

My point was that if your meager income doesn't cover all of the bases, sometimes you can do something about it.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,287,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Responsible people work to take care of their families and themselves --- and everyone ultimately retires at an old age and dies. Not sure what about this doesn't make sense to you?
You can balance it, perhaps do with less materialism (ie Don't Keep Up with the Jones)....ie. working to attain a huge retirement house isn't needed, buying the latest import car, going on cruises, etc. Back off those unnecessary purchases, lead a balanced life - no longer needing to slave for an employer..perhaps finding a job with less pay but more time w/ family..leads to a more fulfilling life, imo.

BTW, the comment about everyone retires at an old age.....not true. Some manage and early retirement, others never retire.

Last edited by BucFan; 10-07-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or