U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-08-2017, 07:39 PM
 
11,292 posts, read 8,470,402 times
Reputation: 20521

Advertisements

Work was never intended to be part of the curse God placed upon man as punishment.
I love my job. And that Bon Jovi song that says "I just wanna live while I'm alive..."
Finish the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2017, 07:56 PM
 
26,178 posts, read 28,581,435 times
Reputation: 24915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Every year I get older, the more unwanted I am in the workforce. Reality is most places don't want an old person. I have to work as much as I can now before I lose my current job because I will never find a job that pays as much as this one. I'm getting into the undesirable age zone. Younger people cost less and there's more of an upside. My free time comes on my off days, vacation, and stats. People have it worse. We can't all live like trust fund babies.
The bolded is very true. And a lot of people lose good paying employment in their 50s. Make, save, and invest money while you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2017, 08:19 PM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,239,088 times
Reputation: 17208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How come you don't care that you're paying for their Viagra? I don't see any Christian organization having problems with that.

I don't understand why that is the huge issue. Birth control is cheap
. Acne medicine costs more. What is the possible difference, aside from simply "I don't approve" judgement?

Why don't you start a campaign to stop employer health plans to stop paying for penicillin when people get STDs? Should that be optional too? Whatever a boss deems moral or immoral, that is how health care should be portioned to people? It doesn't even make sense, because it costs you FAR more to pay for the birth of a baby.




[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Maybe you missed it going to the Supreme Court. Holly Lobby won.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/01/u...raception.html

https://news.vice.com/article/nuns-a...-supreme-court

I have nothing to do with Christianity but I believe in small government and religious liberty. And the reason I said it was because it was the ENTIRE focus of the 2012 election + binders LOL. And I"ve been complaining about it SINCE 2012.

Good question. I have no idea what birth control costs now so if you say IT'S CHEAP then WHY was it such a HUGE issue throughout 2012 and part of Obamacare?MANDATES. All the way to SCOTUS. The poster child, FLUKE, the 30 year old Ivy League Law Student couldn't afford the "cheap birth control?" So to me, that "doesn't even make sense."

Stop the Viagra too, I couldn't care less. In fact, I didn't know that was government mandated either.

So the PRINCIPLE is still the same.

How about this: I pay for my crap and everybody else pays for theirs. OH wait. I HAVE been paying for my own crap my entire life...AND everybody else's.

P.S. If you want to go there, perhaps Mr. Obama shouldn't have tried to force nuns to pay for contraception and abortifacients. If you feel the current rule adjustment is an over-correction. And SCOTUS agreed.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-08-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2017, 08:01 AM
 
Location: USA
6,229 posts, read 5,378,426 times
Reputation: 10643
Interesting this thread...

recently found out one of my bosses (who was set to retire this year and collect his pension) was found dead in his living room this week. Apparently died of undiagnosed pancreatic cancer.

What a shame, the man would of had a great retirement especially since he was under the "grandfathered" retirement plan which provides a pension and full medical. New hires get nodda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2017, 01:19 PM
 
2,103 posts, read 882,405 times
Reputation: 5137
Well, as a successful executive you have to be a joiner, go along to get along. It sounds like he bought into the executive retirement lifestyle. We looked at 55+ places but rejected them for much the same reason that others choose them ... planned activities, cliques, drinking and golfing eating out and travelling together.

We downsized to a middle class neighborhood about 50 miles south of NYC. The houses are inexpensive (in the $225K to $325K range), some are nice, some are falling down. Ours is 50 years old but was expanded and rebuilt from the ground up to the roof when we bought it 11 years ago, so it was essentially a new house. A small 3BR, 2 bath ranch on 1/3 of an acre. All ages and races live here in this small development that was built in the 1960's. People mind their own business but are friendly if you pass them in the street or they walk past your house.

I had a great career as a UNIX sys admin and Oracle DBA for my last 20 years. I loved my job and was really good at it and basically was my own boss. At a certain level of computer expertise, management has no idea what you do and as long as everything works you are on your own. But when I hit 62 I couldn't see any reason to work. I didn't need the money. I was ready for a life of leisure. Different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I don't think so...

What he saw is their retired circle of friends living a lifestyle and going down fast...

Golf, dining and drinking... starting about 11 am... he had lost his purpose... moved clear across the country... didn't have any grand kids and one son who had a very successful career in Southern California...

He and is wife were always a lot of fun... had lots of parties where my parents and kids attended... World Series, Super Bowl... Warriors Championships... etc... were sure to be hosted by them... took us kids many times to see the A's in the company Box Seats.

Going from the executive to a life of leisure was killing him... he had lost his purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2017, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,272,080 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Interesting this thread...

recently found out one of my bosses (who was set to retire this year and collect his pension) was found dead in his living room this week. Apparently died of undiagnosed pancreatic cancer.

What a shame, the man would of had a great retirement especially since he was under the "grandfathered" retirement plan which provides a pension and full medical. New hires get nodda.
saw this several times during my working years and it was a great motivator for me to get the heck to retirement ASAP - life is too short to trade in years of life for $$.....once you're set w/ finances, start the retirement chapters and do things you couldn't while working (travel, exercise properly, attend cultural events, etc etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2017, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,529 posts, read 28,456,436 times
Reputation: 9774
I hated every job I ever had from age 17 (nights and weekends after school) to corporate executive. Hauling myself to work every day was hateful. I retired very early because the alternative seemed to be only suicide. Every day was the same counting the minutes until I could get home...or to a bar. Even Sunday was ruined for me because I knew that it was followed by Monday.


My first retired act was to throw out my alarm clock.


Looking back, it proved to be the right decision, even if pretty scary back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 AM
 
Location: On the road
5,999 posts, read 2,917,428 times
Reputation: 11542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My first retired act was to throw out my alarm clock.
Our first retired morning we went to Starbucks and sipped coffee while watching all the harried looking people in the drivethru on their way to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2017, 09:53 AM
 
71,977 posts, read 72,020,102 times
Reputation: 49554
is that where i see all those people scurrying in the morning go ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2017, 09:54 AM
 
71,977 posts, read 72,020,102 times
Reputation: 49554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I hated every job I ever had from age 17 (nights and weekends after school) to corporate executive. Hauling myself to work every day was hateful. I retired very early because the alternative seemed to be only suicide. Every day was the same counting the minutes until I could get home...or to a bar. Even Sunday was ruined for me because I knew that it was followed by Monday.


My first retired act was to throw out my alarm clock.


Looking back, it proved to be the right decision, even if pretty scary back then.
except for my first job as an hvac tech i can honestly say i always liked my jobs .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top