Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

I worked 40 yrs and that purpose is just that a purpose. A wise friend older than me always said "you better have hobbies, outlets when you retire"...she was so right on. I took up acrylic painting and went mad with the brush and canvas. Then I love alt healing and so enjoy sharing what keeps me healthy and spend a lot of time in that area and it's about 25 yrs of interest.

A good old friend's dear father retired at 65 or so after 40 some yrs at the same job and dropped dead cutting his grass. What a loss to that family. He was such a great man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:02 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
So true about retirement: gotta have outside interests, hobbies that you're enthusiastic about when you retire - something to look forward to when you wake up ----

Old 10-28-2017, 02:15 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
drumming , photography , travel and 5 grand kids occupy my time all to well .

Old 10-28-2017, 04:39 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
drumming , photography , travel and 5 grand kids occupy my time all to well .
Don't forget posting on forums 24/7

Old 10-28-2017, 04:42 AM

not me , you won't see any post after about 8- 9pm . i am an early riser though . my day starts at 3:30 -4am . we head out to the gym anywhere from 5:30am to 7:15 am daily so our days start very early . .

Old 10-28-2017, 01:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

not me , you won't see any post after about 8- 9pm . i am an early riser though . my day starts at 3:30 -4am
that depresses me just hearing about it!

well, not depresses exactly, but aghast and horrified!

(even though I knew about it already, it still astounds (not in a good way) and upsets me hearing about it....haha) :^)

Does your arising time have anything to do with the international stock markets and trading?

I haven't even gone to bed yet when you're arising! Or I'm just going to bed at that time.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-28-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 03:58 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Yeah unless I’m hunting, when retirement finally comes, one of my goals is to sleep in every day.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

(even though I knew about it already, it still astounds (not in a good way) and upsets me hearing about it....haha) :^)

Does your arising time have anything to do with the international stock markets and trading?

I haven't even gone to bed yet when you're arising! Or I'm just going to bed at that time.
ever since i left the music profession and never saw a sunrise i had a thing for hating staying up late. through the years i just needed less and less sleep.

my wife is the same and we start our day early. being in to photography we love catching the golden hours at all different places . by 8pm we are both usually struggling to stay up .

40 may be the new 60 , but 9pm is the new midnight

Old 10-28-2017, 04:42 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

I see nothing wrong with the hours mathjak keeps as I am up at 4am and in bed by 9pm. And the only difference for me is when mathjak is heading off to the gym I am heading off to work and I don't see that changing much when I retire.

A year after starting work in nursing I took a job working 11pm-7am thinking that would allow me more of a social life compared to the 3-11 position I working in as there were no day nursing positions to be had at that time. The 3 months I lasted at this job I saw very little sunlight, and even with room darkening shades I could not get any restful sleep during the day. I can't even tell you how much I looked forward to my days off just so I could sleep during the dark of night. About 2.5 months into the job I started to get palpitations from drinking so much coffee to keep myself awake during work I knew it was time to throw in the night shift towel as it was starting to impact my health.

Burning the midnight oil may work for you and others, but some of us need to sleep during the night hours and get sufficient daytime direct sunlight exposure which we need to maintain our Vitamin D levels. Both mathjak and myself live in the northeast and face long grey winters living in this area of the country and have to grab every bit of sunlight we can get.

As the old saying goes, early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise seems to be working for mathjak and good for him.

Last edited by Nightengale212; 10-28-2017 at 05:14 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 04:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I agree that many do need a sense or purpose. My impression of negative reactions to this in the forum is when those who do need the structure/purpose imply that others will need it to or they'll become lonely, bored, unhealthy, watch TV all day, etc. as if they cannot fathom a mentally/physically healthy existence without it.

To each their own, people are different.
Yes, I found the same to be true. It seems the “structured, ya’ gotta have a purpose people” are a lot more adamant in insisting their lifestyle is the only way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
View detailed profiles of: