U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:16 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,452,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post

Burning the midnight oil may work for you and others, but some of us need to sleep during the night hours and get sufficient daytime direct sunlight exposure which we need to maintain our Vitamin D levels. Both mathjak and myself live in the northeast and face long grey winters living in this area of the country and have to grab every bit of sunlight we can get.
All summer and spring I sit in the sun almost daily starting at 12 noon or 1pm until 5pm or 7pm or later on patio. Tons of sun!

And early autumn, the same. Late autumn and winter, I sit in the sunlight in front of huge glass patio doors during the similar afternoon hours.

No shortage of sun. I make really good use of it.

Your post has more of a contentious tone than Mathjack's post! (which has none) - as he and I have fun back and forth.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-28-2017 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 06:18 PM

979 posts, read 606,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Your post has more of a contentious tone than Mathjack's post! - as he and I have fun back and forth.
Your response to mathjak's post regarding his lifestyle choice to rise early and go to bed early in your words you find horrifying and upsetting I think most would find those an odd choice of words to use to incite a fun debate. But if mathjak enjoys this type of banter with you who am I to judge.

Have a wonderful night.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 1,564 times
I absolutely agree with OP's take. I live in NYC and while I never had to struggle, was never fired, working for someone else is not fun. Having lived and worked in NYC for over 15 years, here's my take on the system:

The closer you (your job) is to money, not as a cashier in a grocery store, but as an investment banker, the easier it is to multiply your wealth. I was in IT for most of those 15 years, and that's IMO, 2 levels away from the wealthy. Here's the wealth pyramid I envisioned in NYC.

1. (top) Investment bankers, and anyone making $5 million or more annually
2. Lawyers, accountants and anyone making $1 million or more annually
3. IT, software developers and anyone making $70k to $150k annually
4. Service sector, and lower paying government jobs
5. (bottom) People on Welfare and food stamps

It's sad that I see so many people in level 4 that is worse off than people in level 5 because they can't get the gov't support but they struggle every single day.

I personally tried to make the change from IT into software development as I thought software developers had it easy because they can work from home, but they don't. They probably have to know as much as people in the top level and level 2 but they get less pay because they aren't as close to the money.

So once I realized that, I pivoted. I found cryptocurrency. I played with it back in 2013 but I was putting in 70 hours work per week and didn't truly study its potential. Only after it skyrocketed 3000% this year that I came back to it. I see so much potential with it. It is like my life passion (technology) had a love child with money and created cryptocurrency. Right now it is all speculation play but it threatens the very existence of our current banking system and that's why JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon keeps on calling it a "fraud". But cryptocurrency is the way I can access the top level of the wealth pyramid without going back to school for finance or MBA. There is definitely a risk but to me, it's not much different than trying to open a restaurant in NYC. I see so many of them tried and failed. Some of them actually make really delicious food, but either the location, the lease, the clientele, or so many other factors that I don't realize because I'm not in the restaurant business are in play. But for those restaurant owners that fail, they usually go on to try again. That's what I will do with my risk in cryptocurrency.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:07 AM

194 posts, read 117,772 times
Is cryptocurrency the new Tulip Craze?

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 AM

487 posts, read 325,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I see nothing wrong with the hours mathjak keeps as I am up at 4am and in bed by 9pm. And the only difference for me is when mathjak is heading off to the gym I am heading off to work and I don't see that changing much when I retire.

A year after starting work in nursing I took a job working 11pm-7am thinking that would allow me more of a social life compared to the 3-11 position I working in as there were no day nursing positions to be had at that time. The 3 months I lasted at this job I saw very little sunlight, and even with room darkening shades I could not get any restful sleep during the day. I can't even tell you how much I looked forward to my days off just so I could sleep during the dark of night. About 2.5 months into the job I started to get palpitations from drinking so much coffee to keep myself awake during work I knew it was time to throw in the night shift towel as it was starting to impact my health.

Burning the midnight oil may work for you and others, but some of us need to sleep during the night hours and get sufficient daytime direct sunlight exposure which we need to maintain our Vitamin D levels. Both mathjak and myself live in the northeast and face long grey winters living in this area of the country and have to grab every bit of sunlight we can get.

As the old saying goes, early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise seems to be working for mathjak and good for him.
Wow. Twenty years of getting up at 4:15am for a hospital shift and I'm still not used to it. I stay up until 11:30 or midnight on my days off and get up around 7:00am. I guess if I worked five 8 hour shifts instead of three 12 hour shifts, that wouldn't work so well.

As far as the Vitamin D goes, I get plenty of sun but with sunscreen usage my Vitamin D levels were still low. Supplements work wonders.

Either way, whatever works for YOUR internal body clock is what's best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or