U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 08:19 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,020,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I guess sort of like Paul Otellini. Sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Otellini
Walt Disney
Peter Jennings
Michael Crichton
Tom Clancy
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM

12,715 posts, read 14,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksnacknyc View Post
So is everyone in NYC okay with slaving for other people and retiring at an old age and then dying?
It honestly doesn't make any sense to me...
why is life set up this way? It's a system I know but... don't we all wanna stay away from the system?
Thoughts on this?
Well, my thought is, What's new?

People were doing this when I was a child in the 30's, and in the 40's, 50's...and on. How is what you believe to be the curse of "the System" any worse than life has been it has ever been...and maybe even a good deal better.

Before people were cursing "the System", they were cursing the factory owner, or the landlord, the king or God or the gods.

"Why is life set up this way?" Maybe the Philosophy or Religion forums would be a good place for this posting.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:43 AM

10,467 posts, read 5,937,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hey Dave,
Would that be MtAiry pa?

Anyhoo, I kind of understand how op feels. In the last 4 years, I've experienced a lot of losses.

1) my husband of 30 years from cancer 55 years old
2) my baby brother from cancer 50
3) my best friend and college roommate from heart attack 55

Some times I do get mad and think, all the scraping and savings, all the sacrificing and what we drop dead before we even enjoy it??

Now it does suck when you have a job that you hate, been there, done that but some times one does have to do what one doesn't like. I've had really crappy jobs and the job I have now is OK but it's pays 90K a year. for me that's simply way to much to turn down.

One thing I've started to do is say "enough is enough". I'm retiring in 2 years at a little over 58. some of my choices have many here calling me foolish (not purchasing ltc insurance, have no plans to ever buy it) but I can only live my life the way I deem best.

Op,
personally I would start with a little re-evaluation. see what you really want out of life. I do have a relative who quit her job early and really lives a very "simple" life. she fully admits that no she will not be taking a lot of vacations or buying a luxury car but she's happy.
Hey there. I've been asked a few times, apparently Mt Airy, PA is more well known that where we live in Mt. Airy, MD. When I registered here I was just using the Maryland board.

As for your post I'm so sorry for all of your losses. And of course we all know we can drop dead at any time, but when you see it up close as you have it gives you a different perspective. I have that perspective too by the way, as do many of us.

So yeah it kind of sucks to get up and work at something you do not like, then die before you have the chance to enjoy retirement. But as I said that's kind of how life works, few of us get a free ride and just do what we want to do. You can't live life as if you will die at 55, that's a terrible way to go about it IMO. And of course the OP has the option of moving out of a high cost area like NYC if he/she want to retire. That's our plan. I have lived in MD my entire life, don't want to move, but that's going to have to happen.

But oh yeah, if you can afford to retire early you jump on it. I'm 58 and I would retire today if I could.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:18 AM

8,809 posts, read 7,715,872 times
No one holds a gun to anyones head. People dont all work their entire adult life, buy a house, get married and have children and save for retirement. All kinds of people make orher choices in these matters, like not having kids or getti g married.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:22 AM

4,825 posts, read 1,992,743 times
Quote:
So is everyone in NYC okay with slaving for other people and retiring at an old age and then dying?
It honestly doesn't make any sense to me...
why is life set up this way? It's a system I know but... don't we all wanna stay away from the system?
Thoughts on this?
You are absolutely right.
When the Fair Labor Standards Act was passed back in 1938, executive compensation was $23,660 or above. Lou Gehrig was making 30K, and Joe DiMaggio was making 25K just to keep the salaries in perspective. The overtime provision was not indexed for inflation. Since many state compensation laws defer to federal law, you can be making peanuts and still be considered salaried.

You can start screaming to your Congressman about this, or you can work like a dog and die at 65 from sitting at a desk for ten hours a day then sitting on the subway for 2.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:26 AM

4,825 posts, read 1,992,743 times
Nobody's last words were, "I should have spent more time at the office".

Old 10-06-2017, 09:28 AM

51,994 posts, read 41,835,728 times
My father retired in his late 50's after getting laid off from his job of almost 40 years.

They'd lived frugally, saved and saved....and he's still alive 15+ years later and doing great.

I think that it's MUCH harder to do this in some parts of the country due to the extremely high cost of living but there are ways around that too by moving to countries like the Phillipeans and so forth where your dollar goes a long way.

I'm in my late 40's and have always planned on a mid-50's retirement and saved accordingly. I could die tomorrow, I can't control that just like I couldn't control my wife dying almost 10 years ago so have a little perspective, things could be worse than working until 65 and then dying.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:28 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,901,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
i hear all the time of people retiring and then kick the bucket soon after
so the lesson is dont retire or else you die
My first corporate job was with Westinghouse. In one of our early HR meetings it was said the average pensioner received 18 paychecks.
That is sad. It is probably better today, but then again, how many actually get enough years to get to the pension?
Since then the IRA and 401 plans have kicked in, so the chance of a decent retirement is better.
It's a statistical aberration, I know, but my 99 year old FIL has been retired longer than he worked.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:16 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,194,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
OP: If you are "slaving away", you're in the wrong job. Find something you like and get good at it.

My story: I retired two years ago. I do enjoy having time for myself and I like not needing to work.

But I'll admit, sometimes I feel bored.

So I got a call last week from my former employer. They asked if I'd be willing to return part time for a project. I told them they would have to double my previous salary. They did!

This will likely be an interesting gig. I feel glad to be appreciated. And the contract works both ways. They can fire me or I can fire them at a moment's notice.

When you become good at something, you have a lot more bargaining power. You will in essence be working for yourself.

Same thing happened to me. Retired twice, once for 3 years once for a year and a half. Got bored, got a phone call asking if I was interested in part time, that has turned into full time, and I love it. Too many people retire and croak a year later, and I see why.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:01 AM

950 posts, read 539,710 times
Quote:
So is everyone in NYC okay with slaving for other people and retiring at an old age and then dying? It honestly doesn't make any sense to me...
Thoughts on this?
You need an attitude adjustment. Do not look upon it as slaving for someone else. Look upon it as acquisition of assets for retirement, and employers are giving you the opportunity. In this country, there was a system that worked, if you knew how to play it (It should still work today). Initially, I joined the military to pay back my college education and to travel, but I soon saw that it was also a ticket to a better life, since I was acquiring skills that were useful to the government. I found the way in to civil service government work (after many tries), and stayed in the Reserves. After retirement from these positions, I worked as a contractor for the federal government. By doing this, I was able to have several different options for health care, and a reasonably nice pension. The trick is to quit while you are ahead, and can still enjoy retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or