U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 12:21 PM

71,811 posts, read 71,896,917 times

Advertisements

as i say all the time , simple answers to complex questions are usually the wrong answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 PM

30,704 posts, read 49,495,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So retired people without jobs are takers....?
Anyone who has contributed into SS for 40-quarters has paid into the system more than enough to pay for any benefit they get back.

Retirees are contributors.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:48 PM

3,213 posts, read 3,205,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Anyone who has contributed into SS for 40-quarters has paid into the system more than enough to pay for any benefit they get back.

Retirees are contributors.
Ok.

So what about someone who stops working full time at age 30 and lives off of income they've saved/invested? Are they contributors?

Old 10-06-2017, 05:52 PM

21,210 posts, read 11,826,310 times
Quote:
Ok.

So what about someone who stops working full time at age 30 and lives off of income they've saved/invested? Are they contributors?
they might be but this guy isn't, or at least wasn't. As I posted upthread, when I had read some of the blog, they talked about things such as going out for restaurant meals as long as someone else was paying, but never reciprocating because they didn't believe in paying for restaurants, just eating at them on someone else's dime.

That's called being a taker.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:55 PM

30,704 posts, read 49,495,894 times
Quote:
Ok.

It is my understanding that people need to pay 40-quarters into their account for it to be qualified to pay-out a benefit.

If you started paying into your SS account at age 16, then at age 26 you would have completed 40 quarterly contributions into your SS account. You could possibly stop making contributions at age 30, and when you reach the 'full retirement age' at 66 you would be eligible.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:04 PM

33 posts, read 15,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
If THATS the most important information he has, Iím glad I never wasted much time on it. Therenis nothing new there at all. Save as much as possible while spending as little as possible? Thats life changing??!! Iíve never wanted to live on as little as possible, and donít embrace that work hard to spend nothing lifestyle. Iíve never seen work as evil, prefer to see myself as a contributor not a taker. Yawn. Move along... nothing to see here.
Yeah, he's kind of stating the freakin obvious. I also thought his registration questions were a real turn off when it forces you to read through his site to figure out where his family resides. Ego?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 PM

33 posts, read 15,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsocal View Post
He does live off savings; he doesn't have to work. So he is financially independent. Whether he is retired is a matter of semantics.
I love how mr. money mustache pontificates his only "retired" lifestyle if you save like him. He is far from retired and I'm sure he is working harder than 95% of the people on this forum. Ask the good people at city-data how much work it is to moderate and maintain a forum. He's preaching something that he doesn't practice.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 PM

439 posts, read 200,072 times
Mr Money Mustache hardly moderates his forum.

There is nothing to moderate, no one argues over there

And when they do, people just get over it

It's just another income stream

He probably works part time but that's about it

Old 10-07-2017, 03:01 AM

71,811 posts, read 71,896,917 times
no one argues ? are you kidding . i can't tell you how many times i got put in time out by the mods when i posted there responding to so many nasty posters . i don't post there anymore just because they are so argumentative

Old 10-07-2017, 04:39 AM

10,484 posts, read 5,944,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
they might be but this guy isn't, or at least wasn't. As I posted upthread, when I had read some of the blog, they talked about things such as going out for restaurant meals as long as someone else was paying, but never reciprocating because they didn't believe in paying for restaurants, just eating at them on someone else's dime.

That's called being a taker.
Did he really say that? The more I read of this guy the more he appears to be a clown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or