U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:00 AM

71,499 posts, read 71,674,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. And since when does one have to be independently wealthy to eat in a reasonably healthy way?
you don't have to be wealthy but i can tell you since i shifted to my healthier diabetic diet our food bills are higher . not a lot but they certainly have gone up .

much of the cheaper fast food i used to eat on the run has now been replaced with grilled chicken fish , etc . even salads can be pricey when on the run compared to a burger and fries and i don't enjoy salads without some kind of dead animal in them . most diners are in the 12-14 dollar range for a grilled chicken salad platter ..

even eating at home has gone up as pasta is pretty much a no no . while i like beans or salad to me those things are not food . they go with food ha ha ha .

so lots of cheaper eats at home now are more expensive protein items that i like . i don't want to just eat something because it's cheap .

i see some of the things people eat in the frugal living section for meals and they are not for us . most are carb heavy or i just don't like that stuff . my wife is a pickier eater than i am .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-08-2017 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 10:07 AM

43,545 posts, read 52,637,306 times
Quote:
Yeah, me too.

I am just more and more interested in unplugging from the matrix entirely...including the money matrix. Not an easy life, but I think things are going to get a lot harder, anyway....so might as well be ahead of the curve.
My phone just died.
People are freaking out on my behalf and I'm sitting here wondering how long I can ride this train out...

Old 10-08-2017, 11:28 AM

7,899 posts, read 5,031,079 times
Self sufficiency is expensive. We can’t all be unalloyed experts, capable of milking our own cows, welding their enclosures ourselves, and understanding cattle-futures in the market. While there are indeed many pernicious influences dogging and conning the modern consumer, there is also tremendous benefit to specializing, to becoming deeply competent at a small number of things, while outsourcing or relying on others for other things. This can be done formally in the economy, or informally, in a village-barter system… and it is perhaps this latter approach that’s being so vigorously advocated by early-retirement/alternative-lifestyle bloggers.

Another useful idea, is that some purchases are rewarding and pleasurable in their own right, whereas others aren’t themselves all that satisfying, but are contingent on association with other buys, or require maintenance and insurance and so forth. Thus, good food might be expensive, but doesn’t require special dinnerware or a fancy table-cloth or an insurance policy. A power-boat, even if bought inexpensively on Craigslist, requires storage, registration, insurance, maintenance and towing. So, we don’t have to become ascetics. Rather, we should indulge in those things that in themselves satisfying, that don’t trigger a cascade of additional necessary purchases.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:36 PM

26,085 posts, read 28,484,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you don't have to be wealthy but i can tell you since i shifted to my healthier diabetic diet our food bills are higher . not a lot but they certainly have gone up .

much of the cheaper fast food i used to eat on the run has now been replaced with grilled chicken fish , etc . even salads can be pricey when on the run compared to a burger and fries and i don't enjoy salads without some kind of dead animal in them . most diners are in the 12-14 dollar range for a grilled chicken salad platter ..

even eating at home has gone up as pasta is pretty much a no no . while i like beans or salad to me those things are not food . they go with food ha ha ha .

so lots of cheaper eats at home now are more expensive protein items that i like . i don't want to just eat something because it's cheap .

i see some of the things people eat in the frugal living section for meals and they are not for us . most are carb heavy or i just don't like that stuff . my wife is a pickier eater than i am .
Like I always say....Oatmeal is cheap. Bananas are cheap. Beans & lentils are cheap and nutritious. Spices like cinnamon are not that expensive. By your own admission, your current diet is more expensive partly because you and your wife are picky. And even at that, it's not that much more expensive. So I think we mostly agree. And ultimately, if you don't need as many meds, then the healthier food is more than worth any additional expense. You can pay the grocer or the pharmaceutical companies. The grocer is better.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:07 PM

439 posts, read 198,917 times
That's one thing I think people do not consider
In retirement, due to age and aging, health issues arise
Prior they didn't endure such symptoms so are more likely to turn towards more expensive health type foods
Food is medicine
Drugs long term treat one issue causing another issue along with it
So if that is figured out, a good percentage will try health food to some extent

We all need to plan on our retirement food bill being much larger due to possibly needing to buy specific food items
Food is medicine
Not to mention with more free time, is the free time to invite people over for dinner.

Seems easier to believe costs will be less expensive in retirement due to not having expenses like gasoline to and form work & work clothes. Eating out more often due to being too tired from working to cook. When imho, it almost always costs more to be retired.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:24 PM

15,204 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension. He mentioned in that very article that he's assuming no Social Security or other form of income in his example.
Which is millennial "the sky is falling" scary hoohaw to help promote his site.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:27 PM

Most low cost foods are very carb heavy so i can't eat much. Bannanas are very high , oatmeal bores me and it also spikes me . Im on no meds . My diabetes is 100% diet and exercise controlled up until now . It is a whole lot harder to eat then when you can just pop a pill.

Breakfast is either peanut butter on something most days with 2 precooked hardboiled eggs or plain yogurt and fruit and peanut butter on something.

Lunch is usually some kind of low salt ham or turkey sandwhiches or left overs . Dinners are the most varied and we tend to use lots of chicken , prepared foods and meats and fish.

We run about 180 a week for food not including weekends when we eat out a lot

Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM

161 posts, read 351,675 times
Quote:
Most low cost foods are very carb heavy so i can't eat much. Bannanas are very high , oatmeal bores me and it also spikes me . Im on no meds . My diabetes is 100% diet and exercise controlled up until now . It is a whole lot harder to eat then when you can just pop a pill.

Breakfast is either peanut butter on something most days with 2 precooked hardboiled eggs or plain yogurt and fruit and peanut butter on something.

Lunch is usually some kind of low salt ham or turkey sandwhiches or left overs . Dinners are the most varied and we tend to use lots of chicken , prepared foods and meats and fish.

We run about 180 a week for food not including weekends when we eat out a lot
Not to get too far off-topic, please read Dr. Michael Greger's book "How Not to Die." It's a game (life) changer. Or for a shorter read without the science behind it, try Rip Esseltyn's book "Seven-Day Rescue Diet." We (a couple) eat for around $70 each week, including weekends.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:44 PM

not here in nyc you don't . supermarkets are very high but it is what it is . a lot of the money i spend is in the in between stuff that keeps me going all day . glycerna shakes , kind bars , sugar free ice cream , some dried fruit , string cheeses , only polly-o

i get a lot of stuff from the italian pork store . all kinds of meats and great salads but not salads like rabbit food . seafood salads , all kinds of grain salads , etc . not cheap stuff but it is what i like and the bills are what they are for the stuff we like .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-08-2017 at 02:01 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 02:50 PM

439 posts, read 198,917 times
Quote:
not here in nyc you don't . supermarkets are very high but it is what it is . a lot of the money i spend is in the in between stuff that keeps me going all day . glycerna shakes , kind bars , sugar free ice cream , some dried fruit , string cheeses , only polly-o

i get a lot of stuff from the italian pork store . all kinds of meats and great salads but not salads like rabbit food . seafood salads , all kinds of grain salads , etc . not cheap stuff but it is what i like and the bills are what they are for the stuff we like .
Have you thought about growing a vegetable garden? The dirt is proven to be a natural antidepressent (healthy) and of course, the vegetables would be healthy. Get your vitamin d out in the sun picking the weeds.

Potatoes are free after a bit. We toss our excess vegetables and some free manure form the neighbors. Toss into a pile and toss occasionally, adding some water. They start growing. The eyes of some of our organic potatoes started growing on their own.
Now we take the potatoes out, cut out the eyes tossing them back in to grow more potatoes. Keeping 90% of each potato to boil or bake

After a while you have A TON of free potatoes. And they taste unbelievable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or