U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 02:54 PM

71,463 posts, read 71,652,652 times

Advertisements

have i thought about growing a vegetable garden ? ha ha ha . i can grow one carrot in a cup . i live in a high rise in a concrete jungle in nyc .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 04:46 PM

5,247 posts, read 5,165,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMischief View Post
I used to read MMM. I found it when I searched for information on reaching financial independence on a small stash. I was at the time paying off debt as fast as I could, and had already figured out what I needed for my basic living expenses. I didnít know how much I needed to save/invest to generate that basic income. I found lots of useful info in his blog and on the forum, and the frugal, efficient lifestyle he promoted was (and is) appealing to me.

I am still working, mostly because of concerns about health care/insurance costs and because I need a bigger buffer, but I feel secure with my level of financial freedom. I think probably financial independence is a more accurate term than retirement for MMMs lifestyle. The goal is to achieve financial freedom to pursue the life you want, whether it involves working or not.

I stopped visiting the site, because it really was meant for young people with high incomes, and I was neither. I got sick of contemptuous attitudes Ė those who failed to be high earners when young made bad choices and deserved face punches, as did those who had different goals than saving a lot of money and retiring young. I guess I didnít have much in common with a 20-30 something making a six- figure income.
I do remember thinking, based on a lot of his posts related to health care, that he is very lucky that his family is healthy. There are plenty of things that can go wrong even when you watch your diet and exercise. He also was able to save money on health care before he retired because his wife worked part-time for a company her family owned and through that, she had a very nice plan but it wasn't until she retired that he really had to look for something. (If I am remembering correctly...)

He also talks a lot about things like riding your bike instead of driving to save money, which many people cannot physically do, and looking for side gigs that are worthwhile, which realistically cannot apply to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i found that forum to be over populated with those who think they know it all and got it all figured out . they are very closed mined as a group and i gave up posting there quite a while ago . i have zero interest in that site
I posted on there a few times and stopped when someone was incredibly nasty and argumentative on something that wasn't that serious and that I was joking about---that had to do with my own personal anecdote. Way more condescending than people on CD.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:44 PM

8,820 posts, read 5,119,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Agree. Based on their descriptions, every semi successful writer, fitness trainer, actor, etc is already retired, just enjoying what they do and coincidentally getting paid for it. Iím retired, I just enjoy doing engineering for 10 hours a week, while shooting the breeze about technical things for another 30. I donít NEED to work at all (which is completely true), so I must be retired. If I walked in today and said I quit, my life would basically not change one bit, and Iíd have very affordable health insurance until 65 and my pension would exceed my current expenses.

Everyone has his own goal and it would drive me crazy to have to work so hard at saving money and writing a blog like his all the time, in order to pay the bills and still have a somewhat uncertain future. Iím sure if we met he would say I am wasting my life by staying employed. Only I can make that call. I donít think he is ingenious or fake, he just chose a level of risk to live at, with an income that many do not want to live at, if they donít have to.
In other words, you have reached Financial Independence, even though you havent Retired Early. FiRE is all about having choices, which you do.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hmmm...Ramsey must be getting some money from somewhere to make those kinds of statements about load funds...
His ELPs are a major source of revenue. He recommends load funds, then charges salesmen to be on his list of Endorsed Local Providers, then steers his listeners/followers to his ELPs.

Can you say "baa-aa-aa"?

Old 10-09-2017, 04:30 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,264,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
In other words, you have reached Financial Independence, even though you havent Retired Early. FiRE is all about having choices, which you do.
Yes, FI, just not at the level I would prefer such that RE is more than just comfortable. I have no problem admitting that I donít mind working so that I can have more in retirement than what I need. Compared to many in the FIRE community I would still have a relatively lower income. Many there are well over 200k/yr. I may find in 10 years that I absolutely should have REed in 2018, not 2020 like I plan to. But hindsight is always 20/20.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You'll need to search for them yourself, I'm not interested in giving him any additional clicks. The comments were there but thanks so much for accusing me of lying.
As a long-time MMM reader, I too have no idea where you have read these things. If you cant provide support, Im inclined to disregard your claims.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:20 PM

439 posts, read 198,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
have i thought about growing a vegetable garden ? ha ha ha . i can grow one carrot in a cup . i live in a high rise in a concrete jungle in nyc .
So sorry to hear that!

My two cents is...you need to move

Old 10-10-2017, 03:24 PM

439 posts, read 198,768 times
The only thing I fear about MMM is many of the participants children

Some seem so focused on making $$ they do not spend time with their children

Few and far between are posts indicating some folks chose what is best for their kids versus the promotion for example

Work work work and the other 50% of the time is spent on saving money here or there

Noble cause if kept in-check so it doesn't become a very un-noble cause

Old 10-10-2017, 04:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
The only thing I fear about MMM is many of the participants children

Some seem so focused on making $$ they do not spend time with their children

Few and far between are posts indicating some folks chose what is best for their kids versus the promotion for example

Work work work and the other 50% of the time is spent on saving money here or there

Noble cause if kept in-check so it doesn't become a very un-noble cause
Actually... Many pursue this lifestyle BECAUSE, and for the benefit of their kids! (as did MMM)

My objective was to spend as much time mentoring and exposing my kids to choices and learning's as possible - ideal be 'retired' / between jobs during the yrs I have children under my roof.

What's 'best' for kids is very different and subjective.

Many MMM folks Homeschool (Which many people (here) also disdain).

I consider the 18 yrs I spent with each kid to be treasured, so... I invested those few years WITH my kids (i.e. time) , but that is not necessarily what was best. They survived and so did I. (At huge 'opportunity costs' )... Homeschooling / working nights, / living internationally for 6 yrs / helping them design and build their own homes (While they were Jr High age), adding to their ROTHs (since age 12), teaching them how to rebuild engines, build furniture, wire and plumb a house, build commercial buildings, HVAC...(as well as primary education.

All on a shoestring, but very productive and efficient. (we drove a $35 car that gets 50 mpg on free fuel (homebrewed of course). and no TV (of course) = no video games, but LOTS of 'shop / farm / garden / music / art / livestock 'opportunities' Probably not BEST for my kids, but... was a lot of TIME and they benefited and are doing very well 10+ yrs beyond college (which they funded 100% on their own, because we equipped them to do so! using our TIME).

YMMV, but I would be cautious top fault MMM 'principles' as potentially damaging to children. Being poor and working together as a family could be a benefit!

Old 10-10-2017, 04:31 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
So sorry to hear that!

My two cents is...you need to move

What an absurd conclusion! Why would Mathjak need to move? From reading his posts over a number of years, it is clear to me that he lives where he wants to live, and that he has the financial wherewithal to have choices about where he lives. He and his wife have made their choice. Do you have any idea how arrogant your post sounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or