U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:36 PM

21,153 posts, read 11,754,604 times

Advertisements

I read a bit on the site a while ago. Aside from concerns about being under and uninsured (health insurance as well as property and casualty), I found that one of the ways they "saved" money was by being cheap. They went out to restaurants, but only when someone else paid for them, and they never reciprocated. When the wife was pregnant, they "saved" money by getting handmedown maternity clothing and baby stuff but they were always the recipient, never the people buying and then handing down things.

They didn't live a life of poverty, they lived a very nice middle class lifestyle because they got other people to help pay for it - probably some of the very same people they deride for not saving as much as they did.

I guess that makes them financially successful, but IMO, it makes them far less successful as members of the human race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 12:40 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,954,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
And then he "self insures' the house.

Yup. It's risks like this that he can afford to take because in actuality he has a very high income AND a very high net worth. He could buy another house with probably a couple years' of what his website nets. On the other hand, the average joe sort of disciple with $1M would be devastated if their house burned down. MMM has multiple safety nets, which is something all of his readers need to remember.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:44 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,954,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I really don't hate my job THAT much that I have to quit work after only 8 years and live like a pauper for the rest of my life - another 60 years!

Exactly. It's hard to imagine why someone would choose a career they apparently hate so much that all they can think about from day one is how to get out. Maybe his parents forced him down a certain path? I never have seen any explanation of this.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:03 PM

14,216 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
Uh, sorry, so what exactly should a "man" really be like? Able to weld? That's not my definition. Growing up with a single mom didn't seem to hurt Barack Obama.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that.

A man should be able to cope, and should be able to cope without being a parasite on the system. Or having to hide your birth certificate, etc.

Being able to weld is not a necessary or sufficient condition for "being a man" but it can be part of the formula.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:14 PM

10,457 posts, read 5,917,794 times
I dabble on his site from time to time but find most of the stuff not practical. He did however give me a great idea.

My wife will be needing a new car in the next few years, we had kind of planned on an SUV for travelling. His position was how many days in a year do you REALLY need a big SUV? For us it was only the days we travel. So instead of paying way more for a big vehicle, and much more at the gas pump every week, you get an economical hatchback (my wife LOVES her Mazda 3 and would like another) and simply put on a trailer hitch, then attach a cargo rack when needed.

Brilliant.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:06 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,945,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I think you have to take any of these "money" gurus with a grain of salt.
I think most of them spout the "common" sense our grandparents had and now package it likes it's a new concept.

I love how they market themselves as "down and out" until I starting doing XYZ which I find a bit dishonest.

You work at a job making a couple hundred thousand a year, it gives you an advantage over someone make 30K a year.

lol, I have a friend who is a makeup consultant. she makes a very good living at it and is always claiming she's "retired" until I point out she spends 30-35 hours a week consulting. she uses that as a sales pitch at parties.

Mr. MM, Dave Ramsey, Suzy Orman. they are not retired, they are working jobs the love but working none the less.
I think you are in fact retired when you are doing what you love whether it's a job that pays you money or an activity that you pay money to do, because the whole idea of retirement is to do what you love, not what someone tells you to do.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:00 PM

255 posts, read 233,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
What is the FS site?
FS is Financial Samurai.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I really don't hate my job THAT much ...Frankly I think it is extremely anti-society and they really seem to look down on anyone else stupid enough to want to work for the man and be a "wage slave". Whatever.
Sounds a LOT like the Hidden... / unspoken..."C-D Retirement Forum Rules"..
and the many frequent posters who dis anyone who would EVER consider options OUTSIDE their 'Rules'...

Worse case... someone (like MMM) would SUCCEED, outside the C-D retirement forum rules

Watch out,, Here comes the angry mob with the tar and feathers...

retire pre age 65 ! (Impossible)
work a PT or free schedule job / volunteer because you desire / or want the interaction or ENJOY IT, or spouse wants you out-of the house... (Heaven forbid, you cannot post here)
Have income properties that you have to do something to participate once / yr (taxes...)? OR EVER (You are not retired)
Go without pension !
Exist without HC

"You can't do THAT!!"

ONLY One Definition of retirement here... and MMM falls short. Let's assure he is adequately condemned and NEVER comes here to post 'as'retired'

Impossible... he is not 65, and on a company / gov sponsored Pension and HC.

So enlightening!
So welcoming
So informing

Old 09-29-2017, 06:39 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,147,934 times
The graphics of the site MMM ( an old barn in the Far West) are quite enticing, but I find as an European the problematic too American-centered, so not actually relevant to me, save some anecdotical elements. On the other hand I subscribed on
https://www.hobotraveler.com/, Graham is a great guy, has completely the same state of mind/values as most people on this website....

Old 09-30-2017, 12:44 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,264,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Sounds a LOT like the Hidden... / unspoken..."C-D Retirement Forum Rules"..
and the many frequent posters who dis anyone who would EVER consider options OUTSIDE their 'Rules'...

Worse case... someone (like MMM) would SUCCEED, outside the C-D retirement forum rules

Watch out,, Here comes the angry mob with the tar and feathers...

retire pre age 65 ! (Impossible)
work a PT or free schedule job / volunteer because you desire / or want the interaction or ENJOY IT, or spouse wants you out-of the house... (Heaven forbid, you cannot post here)
Have income properties that you have to do something to participate once / yr (taxes...)? OR EVER (You are not retired)
Go without pension !
Exist without HC

"You can't do THAT!!"

ONLY One Definition of retirement here... and MMM falls short. Let's assure he is adequately condemned and NEVER comes here to post 'as'retired'

Impossible... he is not 65, and on a company / gov sponsored Pension and HC.

So enlightening!
So welcoming
So informing
No surprise here. Yawn. SOSDD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or