U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 04:13 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times

Advertisements

Mr Money Mustache didn't retire early, he just found an easier way to make money with a blog preaching how to retire early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:40 AM

2,247 posts, read 1,466,162 times
People sure have a STRANGE idea as to what "retirement" is...

If a retiree does ANYTHING other than sit in his living room watching tv all the time, does that really mean he's not retired? If he volunteers to work at a library or senior center for 10 hours a week, does that mean he's not really retired? If it does a few day trading stock trades every other week, does that mean he's not retired?

Retirement is FAR MORE than a person just sitting on his butt watching birds all day.

What a bunch of crap that people (especially here in the retirement forum) really think retirement means you should just do nothing but lay down and die.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 AM

43,559 posts, read 52,667,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
He did, perhaps more importantly, provide a living example of how a man ought to be able to build and fix things around the house. I do think so many boys growing up with single moms do lack a proper role model, they don't really understand what a "man" really should be like.
:
Lol.
Tons of men I know (my dad's generation - born 1940s - and mine - born 1970s) can't fix crap.
Most of them, however, make enough $$ to pay other people to do it.

And I think it's also funny you think a "man" is one thing.
There are many kinds of men who all behave differently.

My dad was a kind, hardworking man, but he was obsessed with his work and we rarely saw him.
Several of my friends' fathers beat them for so much as getting a B on a test, and they avoided these guys as much as possible.
Some of my friends' fathers just disappeared or started new families and threw away their old ones.
Some of the dads I know are body builders.
Some are good with their hands and can fix anything and have patents on things they've invented.
Some play video games all day and couldn't change a tire.

So which of these people (all of whom were raised with fathers in the house) are what a "man" should be?

Old 09-30-2017, 07:53 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
What a bunch of crap that people (especially here in the retirement forum) really think retirement means you should just do nothing but lay down and die.
No one thinks that. What most people think, though, is that the word "retired" applies to people who are paying for the bulk of their living expenses using only money previously earned (investments, pensions, SS). Someone who (like Mr. Money Moustache) is pulling down nearly a half-million a year from ongoing paid work is hardly "retired" by that definition.

I'd call him a financially-independent, self-employed entrepreneur. It's a bit of a mouthful, but a more accurate descriptor of what he's actually doing than "retired" is.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 AM

2,247 posts, read 1,466,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No one thinks that. What most people think, though, is that the word "retired" applies to people who are paying for the bulk of their living expenses using only money previously earned (investments, pensions, SS). Someone who (like Mr. Money Moustache) is pulling down nearly a half-million a year from ongoing paid work is hardly "retired" by that definition.

I'd call him a financially-independent, self-employed entrepreneur. It's a bit of a mouthful, but a more accurate descriptor of what he's actually doing than "retired" is.
Ok, I'll give you that.

As for Mr. Money Moustache, he does live on nothing but his "stache" (and at the beginning, rental income from a house that he couldn't sell when the market busted). His blog didn't really even start until like 2010~, and it took him years before it made any sort of money. I think he originally used the word "retired" because most people had more idea of what that term meant, in place of "financial independence".

Yeah, not everybody can pull off as much as what he did to monetize everything, BUT, some people could actually do better. It doesn't really matter as long as he helps them understand that there are options beyond working for others for 40 or 50+ years.

I think his greatest value is waking people up to the possibilities in life! You take the useful info from him that applies (or could apply) to yourself, and just let the rest go. I found his blog in early 2014, and I thank God that I did. I only wish I had found it a couple years sooner.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:48 AM

1,527 posts, read 634,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah and no. Dad was a top-flight welder, and taught me to weld, at least some. But he was no mechanic, and I taught myself that anyway.

He did, perhaps more importantly, provide a living example of how a man ought to be able to build and fix things around the house. I do think so many boys growing up with single moms do lack a proper role model, they don't really understand what a "man" really should be like.

To get back on topic, Dad did also provide an example of living well, while living well within his means, and that sunk in on me too.
Why should only men be able to fix things around the house. I never understood why dads never teach the daughters as well as the sons. I guess maybe to ensure that they (the men) are needed? I think people should be as self-sufficient as possible--that doesn't necessarily mean doing everything one's self, but having enough knowledge not to be ripped off by contractors every time something needs done. I only have sons, but if I had had daughters I would have wanted them to learn basic maintenance and repairs and how to use a few tools.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:26 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Why should only men be able to fix things around the house. I never understood why dads never teach the daughters as well as the sons. I guess maybe to ensure that they (the men) are needed? I think people should be as self-sufficient as possible--that doesn't necessarily mean doing everything one's self, but having enough knowledge not to be ripped off by contractors every time something needs done. I only have sons, but if I had had daughters I would have wanted them to learn basic maintenance and repairs and how to use a few tools.
yep - I can do all kinds of things around the house - power tools etc - my dad let us play around with things and I always liked taking things apart. My job in the military revolved around construction type work at times. I was surprised when one guy didn't know how to use a drill, but he learned. And I shouldn't have been so judgmental cuz I'm sure there were things he could do, that I could not.

But since I hate doing those things now - I just make sure I can afford to pay someone to do them.

My brothers all knew how to cook, clean and iron.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:36 AM

7,924 posts, read 5,039,870 times
There’s a whole genre of debate, regarding whether MMM is genuinely “retired”. He writes extensively on that very topic on his blog. Yes, his case is a bit aberrant, if not outlandish. But the deeper point, is that aspects of his philosophy can be applied cafeteria-style, without becoming a zealous disciple, or without 100% accepting the veracity of his claims. What’s so brazenly risky at age-30, becomes far more manageable at say 45 or 50, after another 15-20 years of career-seniority and savings.

MMM’s attitude towards formal remunerative office-work is in my opinion needlessly deprecatory. I enjoy sitting in an office, and while I can do carpentry or yard-work, to me those are necessities, not avocations. I’d much rather “retire” from cooking or going to the grocery store, from household chores of whatever stripe, from maintaining or cleaning anything… work 70 hours/week at a high-stress corporate job, and pay for servants to do everything else. That’s the exact negation of what MMM advocates. But the intersection between my views and his, is that whether retired or retarded, one seeks to wield resources that insulate one from the vicissitudes of “normal” life, be those job-loss or sudden expenses or some other crisis. In other words, one seeks to practice robustness, be that as an employee or a businessman or a couch-potato.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:17 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times
I think some people use the 'retire' word loosely. Not really retired just taking some time off. I work with a guy that says he retired at 52 and here he is today at 64 and has been with the company 7 years.

Maybe it is cool to say you retired young even though that is not always the case.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:31 PM

71,584 posts, read 71,751,865 times
everyone has their own definition of being retired . to many , being retired does not mean not doing some form of work - rather it means just not having to work

i am for all purposes retired . but i still teach technical stuff 1 day a week if we are not traveling and i really enjoy doing it . in fact i would volunteer 1 day a week to do it if it was something i had to do for free .

i do training for them for extended periods of time sometimes and take my wife who makes a little vacation .

we spent 3 weeks in july on the finger lakes in ny in hotels on the water as i did training up there .

my wife loved being a tourist while i did the training . they even had an account at one of the top ten spa's in the country so she could go and spend time there .

every night was these expensive gourmet meals we didn't even have to pay for .

so yeah i sill do some work but it is nothing i wouldn't likely volunteer for to do free just because i like teaching and i like the interface with others as well as using some of my time to help advance others . the fact i get paid for doing what i enjoy is a bonus .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or