U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 03:36 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,157,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'd call him a financially-independent, self-employed entrepreneur. It's a bit of a mouthful, but a more accurate descriptor of what he's actually doing than "retired" is.
He's a self-employed entrepreneur. I'll call him (and myself) financially independent when I can live on what I've saved.

Retired doesn't mean idle, but it means not having to work for money to sustain one's lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 03:38 PM

71,520 posts, read 71,694,121 times
that is my view too .

i think of it as the fact i really enjoy what i do and if i had to do it for free as a volunteer it is still something i would do .

Old 09-30-2017, 06:51 PM

1,249 posts, read 589,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Why should only men be able to fix things around the house. I never understood why dads never teach the daughters as well as the sons. I guess maybe to ensure that they (the men) are needed? I think people should be as self-sufficient as possible--that doesn't necessarily mean doing everything one's self, but having enough knowledge not to be ripped off by contractors every time something needs done. I only have sons, but if I had had daughters I would have wanted them to learn basic maintenance and repairs and how to use a few tools.
Home Depot workshops and YouTube...for when Dad or Mom didn't teach you which end of the hammer is up. But giant kudos to parents who have these skills and pass them on to their kids regardless of gender.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:44 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There’s a whole genre of debate, regarding whether MMM is genuinely “retired”. He writes extensively on that very topic on his blog. Yes, his case is a bit aberrant, if not outlandish. But the deeper point, is that aspects of his philosophy can be applied cafeteria-style, without becoming a zealous disciple, or without 100% accepting the veracity of his claims. What’s so brazenly risky at age-30, becomes far more manageable at say 45 or 50, after another 15-20 years of career-seniority and savings.

MMM’s attitude towards formal remunerative office-work is in my opinion needlessly deprecatory. I enjoy sitting in an office, and while I can do carpentry or yard-work, to me those are necessities, not avocations. I’d much rather “retire” from cooking or going to the grocery store, from household chores of whatever stripe, from maintaining or cleaning anything… work 70 hours/week at a high-stress corporate job, and pay for servants to do everything else. That’s the exact negation of what MMM advocates. But the intersection between my views and his, is that whether retired or retarded, one seeks to wield resources that insulate one from the vicissitudes of “normal” life, be those job-loss or sudden expenses or some other crisis. In other words, one seeks to practice robustness, be that as an employee or a businessman or a couch-potato.
In short words, passive income.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:48 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,434,659 times
IMNSHO, there is no such thing as retirement. You just change what you do. Post-work, you still have avocations, hobbies, plans, etc.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:14 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,283 times
For all we know Mr Money Mustache is a 35 year old BSer living in his parents basement

Old 10-01-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
everyone has their own definition of being retired . to many , being retired does not mean not doing some form of work - rather it means just not having to work

i am for all purposes retired . but i still teach technical stuff 1 day a week if we are not traveling and i really enjoy doing it . in fact i would volunteer 1 day a week to do it if it was something i had to do for free .

i do training for them for extended periods of time sometimes and take my wife who makes a little vacation .

we spent 3 weeks in july on the finger lakes in ny in hotels on the water as i did training up there .

my wife loved being a tourist while i did the training . they even had an account at one of the top ten spa's in the country so she could go and spend time there .

every night was these expensive gourmet meals we didn't even have to pay for .

so yeah i sill do some work but it is nothing i wouldn't likely volunteer for to do free just because i like teaching and i like the interface with others as well as using some of my time to help advance others . the fact i get paid for doing what i enjoy is a bonus .
We keep reading the same bolded things over and over, we get it already!

Old 10-01-2017, 07:04 PM

71,520 posts, read 71,694,121 times
we ? perhaps you-------so why do you keep reading them over and over ? wouldn't you be better off using ignore for posters you don't want to read ?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we ? perhaps you-------so why do you keep reading them over and over ? wouldn't you be better off using ignore for posters you don't want to read ?
Thatta boy!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:34 PM

33 posts, read 14,954 times
I tried signing up for this site but for the life of me, I could not answer this guys registration questions. "In what city does the MMM family live?:" How the heck am I supposed to know?!?! I just want to check out what this site is all about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or