Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 04:29 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,966,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waydo View Post
I tried signing up for this site but for the life of me, I could not answer this guys registration questions. "In what city does the MMM family live?:" How the heck am I supposed to know?!?! I just want to check out what this site is all about!
Longmont Colorado

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Money_Mustache

Here, boiled down, is the most important information he has. IF this slaps you across the face and makes sense to you, it can change your life all by itself: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...ly-retirement/

It's literally so simple a plan, people find it hard to reconcile with their belief systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 11:52 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,067,946 times
If THATS the most important information he has, I’m glad I never wasted much time on it. Therenis nothing new there at all. Save as much as possible while spending as little as possible? Thats life changing??!! I’ve never wanted to live on as little as possible, and don’t embrace that work hard to spend nothing lifestyle. I’ve never seen work as evil, prefer to see myself as a contributor not a taker. Yawn. Move along... nothing to see here.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:43 PM

11 posts, read 15,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
He's a self-employed entrepreneur. I'll call him (and myself) financially independent when I can live on what I've saved.

Retired doesn't mean idle, but it means not having to work for money to sustain one's lifestyle.
He does live off savings; he doesn't have to work. So he is financially independent. Whether he is retired is a matter of semantics.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:19 PM

16,115 posts, read 10,260,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Longmont Colorado

Here, boiled down, is the most important information he has. IF this slaps you across the face and makes sense to you, it can change your life all by itself: The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement

It's literally so simple a plan, people find it hard to reconcile with their belief systems.
From the link:

If you save a reasonable percentage of your take-home pay, like 50%, and live on the remaining 50%, you’ll be Ready to Rock

Very few people are able to save 1/2 of their take home pay. It also claims if you save 10% you will need to do that for 51 years. I doubt that is true, most people save 10% or less and still find a way to retire before 73.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:23 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,922,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
From the link:

If you save a reasonable percentage of your take-home pay, like 50%, and live on the remaining 50%, you’ll be Ready to Rock

Very few people are able to save 1/2 of their take home pay. It also claims if you save 10% you will need to do that for 51 years. I doubt that is true, most people save 10% or less and still find a way to retire before 73.
Yep, I think he's way off base.

I make a good income for the Tri-Cities. If I saved 50% of net, that would leave me with about $400/week to go on for all bills. That's going to be tough and no frills, even here.

What do the people that make the median income in a low income area like here do? How about people in the high cost areas where you have to be basically top 10% to be doing well?

Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,498,755 times
Quote:
Here, boiled down, is the most important information he has. IF this slaps you across the face and makes sense to you, it can change your life all by itself
Quote:
This is downright cringe worthy, in the same manner that hardcore Kiyosaki and Ramsey followers sound when all caught up in their svengalis. They all have what boils down to a good message, but it isn't as simple as some seem to think and it is usually a lot more common sense than groundbreaking.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:37 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,769,693 times
Yeah, this is sort of like saying if you jog 10 or more miles every day, and eat mostly veggies, the pounds just drop right off. Well, OK, if you are independently wealthy, or otherwise don't have to deal with a job and other "regular life" activities, yeah, this plan can work.

Although. When I first got out of college, I worked for Schlumberger, field engineer, logging oil wells. I was single, the east Texas town I was working in had about 0 girls I wanted to date (honestly, I just wanted non-smokers with no kids and no plans for kids - you would think I was asking for a unicorn - but I digress). Anyway I saved a good bit more than 50% of that salary + bonus, because I intuitively knew that the gig was too good to last, and I was really tired of being a poor student. I put about $20K into the bank, post tax dollars I could spend as I wanted, back in 1980. Lived frugally, saved money in money market accounts paying 12-16% interest.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:44 PM

105,824 posts, read 107,820,907 times
one of my friends was a high powered ceo for quite a few oil companies . his schedule was packed .

well he had a heart attack and all of a sudden the gym was his priority. he didn't find the time , he made the time . all of a sudden everything else was arranged around the new priority. i know i used to go before work . i made it a point to be there 5:30am .

Old 10-06-2017, 11:35 AM

4,190 posts, read 4,696,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
If THATS the most important information he has, I’m glad I never wasted much time on it. Therenis nothing new there at all. Save as much as possible while spending as little as possible? Thats life changing??!! I’ve never wanted to live on as little as possible, and don’t embrace that work hard to spend nothing lifestyle. I’ve never seen work as evil, prefer to see myself as a contributor not a taker. Yawn. Move along... nothing to see here.
So retired people without jobs are takers....?

Old 10-06-2017, 12:44 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,541,560 times
Quote:
Longmont Colorado

Here, boiled down, is the most important information he has. IF this slaps you across the face and makes sense to you, it can change your life all by itself: The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement

I'm a scientist by trade and the first thing you learn in grad school is that what is SIMPLE on paper, is rarely that simple in execution.

lol, there is a popular saying that's attributed to Winston Churchill (there is some debate now if he said it first), anyway it goes.

"Americans will always do the right thing-after exhausting all other possibilities" .

If losing weight was "simple". we'd do it
If saving 50% of our salary was "simple". millions would do it.

Millions of folks get rich writing diet books about how their method "is easy and simple to do and enjoyable". the only thing that gets lighter is your wallet.

same with the financial gurus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement