U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 03:03 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Thanks to all who responded with their very constructive thoughts. Seems like in many cases, to travel or not, is a personal choice and as long as you are happy doing either, it's your decision. Some of the comments were very motivating, especially the ones that pointed out that people in their 80s were still traveling and enjoying life. Those of us in our 70s can take inspiration from that!
I guess one can take inspiration from that if their desire is to travel in retirement. I find my inspiration comes from those older than me who have accomplishments I would like to achieve. Traveling is nice but it isnít on my radar and those who travel do not inspire me to travel.

As someone here has said, everyone has their own preferences of what they wish to do in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 06:25 PM

568 posts, read 248,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I guess one can take inspiration from that if their desire is to travel in retirement. I find my inspiration comes from those older than me who have accomplishments I would like to achieve. Traveling is nice but it isnít on my radar and those who travel do not inspire me to travel.

As someone here has said, everyone has their own preferences of what they wish to do in retirement.
The inspiration comes not from the fact that they travel, but more that they are able to so and maintain engaged with the world around them!

Old 10-07-2017, 12:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Thanks to all who responded with their very constructive thoughts. Seems like in many cases, to travel or not, is a personal choice and as long as you are happy doing either, it's your decision. Some of the comments were very motivating, especially the ones that pointed out that people in their 80s were still traveling and enjoying life. Those of us in our 70s can take inspiration from that!
Age is less important than passion / mobility / desire / interest / flexibility (or LOTS of money).
We are on our way to meet a 94 yr old friend we often travel with, (she still does 2 - 6 international trips / yr, and is far from 'well-off'(coach class and hostels)). A 75 YO traveling solo from Denmark is meeting us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Sometimes a medical condition comes out of the blue.

Retire as soon as you can swing it financially.

Travel early. Travel before you can't.
We ascribe to this,^^ 13 yrs into (early) retirement and still traveling a bit too much, but we really enjoy it and are capable. Having spent 32 yrs of my 'youth' doing eldercare, then living in Asia and watching the feeble Europeans travel for Healthcare... We will exhaust our wanderlust (if possible) while able. Returned from Asia 12 hrs ago and headed to Colorado for Aspen colors in 12 hrs. Moved 6 cords of firewood today, so no 'jet-lag!'

Doing the "budget plan travel"
Basically, cheaper than staying home (We have high property taxes)

1) Rent out the extra living space to cover home expenses (kids been gone for 15 yrs), young couple (just finished seminary) needed a cheap place to live. They love it! (we are seldom there to bother them ), great VIEW!!! Peaceful rural location, they are free to use ALL the house (their parents / siblings come to visit for weeks at a time) = more people to do chores!
2) Keeps someone @ home to; water the plants, collect the mail, feed the dog and livestock, garden, harvest FREE fruit (edible landscape...) and they even tuned the piano!
3) While traveling, we keep our daily eating / entertainment as close as possible to home... grocery / farmer's markets / free events / volunteer ushering / assistance at events...
4) Do gigs as volunteers on Farms and trade schools / church camps... for free room and board and the pleasure of meeting and serving others (from all over the world) (Easier to do when physically able, many in their 70's and 80's do this, building projects at camps / orphanages / mission outposts)
5) Travel as a local - eat / lodge / picnic / explore with the locals. (Often join a local for a very nice fishing or hunting trip to their 'special spot'!) Help out when hosts are butchering, or doing 'round-up' / animal / harvest tasks. (If you have never eaten with a Harvest crew... you have never EATEN!!!)
6) Use Hospitality guest homes ($free (SERVAS.ORG (since 1947)) to $20 / night WW with many clubs / directories / service groups) been doing this for nearly 30 yrs, no bad stays, yet... many repeats / asked to return for fun and help.
7) Use economy transportation when able (local buses, ride sharing / hitch-hike...) in USA I use a 50 mpg 'veggie oil' car= free fuel since 1976 ... 66,000 gal of dino fuel saved for someone else to burn)

I doubt we will ever desire to return to the glory days of First Class (Air and Train) and 5 stars... BTDT, (20+ yrs business travel / international assignments) - too sterile for the richness of experiences we enjoy from getting engaged in the lives / hobbies / tasks / families of others. Hotels are a pretty 'empty experience' for 'relational' travel. YMMV, do what best suits YOU!!! We prefer to stay a month + at each destination.

other perks / ez ways to travel.

USA flights are via 'Companion Pass' (One flies free for 18 months via CC promotion) 64 flights so far this yr, will have over 100 (just in USA + 4 international trips + road trips) (Would be MUCH better if we had FREE Flight benefits, but this is pretty sweet, and no 'stand-by' )

We run all our income props / travel / and build houses and buy cars via mileage credit card (as we have for 40+ yrs),

SWA has 'Award travel' for as low as 4,000 pts. (Most carriers are 25,000 - 30,000 pts)

Shuttling motorhomes and buses
(While in NZ, we did 'relocation' of rental cars (free car / fuel / ferry)) used to do this in the USA too, especially with Rental trucks that need to be relocated.

Many options for sustainable travel, and... It is JUST fine to stay home!

Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
I enjoy going on road trips. I would love to have a traveling companion to share the experience of travel. Now that I am living in the Midwest, it is much easier to visit other states. For 40+ years, I lived in the Miami area and felt stuck in another world. I am not a big fan of flying. I am interested in heading west...... South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, the Flint Hills in Kansas, etc.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:46 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,159,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
When I go to Europe, I take the Boston/London-Heathrow day flight that goes out of Boston at 8am landing in London around 7pm. Give me an aisle seat in the economy section and I'm fine. On average, I do that flight once per year these days.
This. There are also early morning flights to London out of New York and Chicago, and maybe some other cities. I stay in London overnight, then go to my final European destination the next day.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,465,270 times
Don't mind traveling but I'm Leary of hotels. Just concerned with bed bugs. I have heard some night mare stories about how you can't get rid of them.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:55 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
Quote:
The inspiration comes not from the fact that they travel, but more that they are able to so and maintain engaged with the world around them!
A gentle note, there are many ways to be engaged in the world around you. Travel is only one and as a person who doesn't currently look to travel, I feel the need to point that out.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 PM

568 posts, read 248,987 times
I don't believe that anyone is disputing that fact i.e it's just one way to stay engaged. However, the thread was about travel.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,033,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Funny. Iím 63 and have been traveling internationally for leisure for about 15 years. I donít find the seats all that uncomfortable and I travel sometimes 12 hrs w a two hour stop then another four, then a two hour cab ride to my destination.

Hate to say it but I think the main reason a lot of people are uncomfortable doing it is because they are overweight, out of shape, and had difficulty handling it. I canít begin to count the number of people Iíve said beside on international flights that are about 100 pounds overweight. Lose some damn weight people!
!

Yeah, I'm 6'5" in my bare feet. Economy is fine if I just go on a diet and lose 8 or 9 inches?!!

Where is your compassion Burkmere? I'll bet your a munchkin to boot.

I once had a flight on a foreign (but well-regarded) airline where my knees were literally jammed into hard plastic backed seats and couldn't sit diagonally because it was a middle seat. I 5'5" Indian guy on aisle declined to trade with me - even for $20 US! (I think I even raised it to $50). I had to stand outside the bathroom for about 2 hours when a stewardess felt sorry for me and let me use her landing jump seat for the rest of the 7 hour flight. I always upgrade to economy plus or use miles to go business if at all possible.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:43 AM

1,485 posts, read 414,524 times
We love to travel. Road trips of at least 2K miles to visit grandchildren several times a year as well as exploring nearby states and far flung National Parks. But our great joy is planning a 3-5 week European trip each year for the past 5 years since retirement began. We travel on a small budget, shoulder season, stay in small low cost hotels and rent cars. We often include a budget-friendly Transatlantic cruise with friends as part of our vacation, which is wonderful westbound in fall because of the 25 hour days and ability to bring back all your European "stuff" accumulated. Eastbound in spring you arrive without jet lag, either way great.
I love to plan trips using itineraries from tour catalogs, Rick Steves guides and plan around places we've always wanted to see (Edinburgh Royal Tattoo, the Alhambra, D-Day Beaches, Cinque Terre to name a few).
We hope we have a few years of independent travel left before we hit the tour buses. Although, I must admit many of those tours look like a pretty good (cost per day) deal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement