U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:52 PM

3,085 posts, read 819,720 times

Advertisements

Pertinent thread since I should be online right now making travel reservations but instead here I am haunting CD. This year, we've scheduled in Nicaragua for January, then about 6 weeks in the Balkans.

But just this week, I've tentatively "scheduled in" a stop to such trips.

Pre-kid I travelled extensively to Asia, Midde-East, a lot of third-world destinations that were way off the grid. Most work travel was domestic but I was able to take extensive leaves from work between projects. Europe's been the destination for the last several years post-retirement, traveling with my teen, now college-aged kid. Limited to school vacations.

We're pretty physically active - returning to some countries repeatedly but traveling around a LOT using public transportation. It's fun, but hectic. For me, what's starting to get old, is all the *planning.* We travel well, but cheap - with the trade-off planning TIME.

Plus, for the first time (I'm now 64) there are hints of slowing down. The 2016 trip actually had to be cancelled - literally while in the air! THAT was a pain.

Undiagnosed health condition but determined to make the trip. The international flight turned back 4 hours out due to mechanical difficulties. If the promised second aircraft was at the gate I would have rebounded and reboarded but after 3-hours in line ... increasingly sick ... a sleepless night in a Queens motel ... and still no seat assignments I decided to bag it to go home to get fixed. Bed never looked so good. Spent the summer and fall doing some much-needed painting and remodeling a half-bath to no regrets.

Last summer, we travelled as usual but for the first time the energy wasn't quite there. Could still DO everything but no longer effortlessly.

The current plan is to keep traveling to Europe with my daughter for longish trips until she starts work full time. Another few years. Then pick a country - not an ocean away - and start repeat visits. Maybe even a second home. Long afternoons spent in a cafe with a book sipping a margarita with no sightseeing looks more and more appealing.

Somewhere I read an observation that folks in their 60s look pretty content while on the road but that (especially on long overseas trips) those in their 70s may be present but appear increasingly stressed.

Never thought I'd say it, but I kind of get that.

Last edited by EveryLady; 09-27-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:56 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,316,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I applaud those who don't get 'sequestered by age.'

Last week DS took 94 YO dad on a 6 hr flight to see his older siblings. He fell the first day and broke his shoulder, but hung in there and completed the trip. (His 4th this yr)

94 yr old Gal friend from Colorado met us in Ireland last yr, we had a great time.

Many in their 90's still herd their RV's south for the winter.

Do what makes sense, and have a ball enjoying it!
Back on Labor Day, I was waiting to board the ferry over to Cumberland Island from St. Mary's, GA. There was this older couple there, who had been to the island many times before and I started talking to the wife, while the husband went back to the car for something.

It turned out she was turning 99 this month and her husband was 100. He still drives and had a walking stick, but didn't really use it as a cane. They have 18 great-grandchildren and still live in their house, and still like to explore. He had on khaki shorts, button down shirt and a bow tie.

I thought to myself, life goals right there, make it 100, be in relatively good health, be independent and still exploring, love it!

Old 09-27-2017, 03:23 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,895,263 times
Not retired yet, but have cut back on travel. The airport/airline experience, to me, is so damn bad the thought of spending my own money for this makes me angry. Not going to do it.

Have traveled quite a bit over the US, and a bit in Europe, few trips to Moscow and to Kiev, thankfully mostly before 9/11. I think that's what makes me so crotchety about flying anymore - I remember how it should be, and how it ain't anymore.

I have joined a project that will take me back to Kiev at least a few more times. I rather hesitated, but the work is a perfect fit for me, few others around here have just that background to do it, and I have in-laws in Kiev. But I am one bad experience flying from hanging my spurs up for good, project be damned.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 PM

86 posts, read 56,756 times
I retired in April of this year at the age of 60, DH is 64. We've been on a cruise, a 3 week road trip from Florida to Canada and we just returned from a 1 week trip to Barcelona.

That being said, after this last trip to Barcelona, DH and I are seriously reconsidering more travel that involves airplanes. Despite relatively good health and young age, we agreed that airplane travel has become more onerous, what with TSA, long waits at the airport and just the general inconvenience that it entails.

This most recent trip to Barcelona highlighted this, as we had connecting flights both getting there and returning home which were a nightmare. Then, dealing with the crowds at customs, the testy attendants and the like, honestly we looked at each other and said "done".

Not done with traveling, we love to travel but air travel is not worth the hassle for us. We really enjoyed the road trip we took and will likely be looking at taking more of these types of trips using either VRBO or AirBnB. We are on a budget so we are looking at options that fit our lifestyle.

So, for us, we are definitely not too old to travel, but we are too old to put up with the hassles that some types of travel entail. There are plenty of places we have never been to in our own country, and we have traveled extensively internationally, so that holds less of an attraction for us. Plus sitting in coach (budget travelers) for 9-11 hours is not fun.

We will likely continue road trips throughout the US, which will allow us more flexibility and comfort.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:27 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,373,867 times
We used to travel more so then now. I actually hate to fly now, 4 hours is about all I can take. I can manage Europe occasionally but would not consider Australia, or Asia any longer.

We purchased a car, strictly for vacation driving and average 12K miles yearly covering the USA and Canada. We have seen every major national park and some 5 times a few only twice. I love to drive, and we never hurry. A few times we have been gone for 8 weeks.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:14 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,241,188 times
When I was younger, traveling was fun and I enjoyed it. But I had friends to travel with.

Now, alone and friends I have now don't travel. I have done some road trips by myself and I enjoyed it. But going alone is definitely not a lot of fun since it's always a road trip with no one to share the driving. I just refuse to fly. It is too much of a hassle and just don't want to deal with it. And I hate packing. Never know what to take with me, and how much of anything.

So unless I find a fun travel companion, I'm grounded except for little trips within NY state.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,196,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I'm still active, in my early 70s, travel all over the US for part-time work that I do but people are always telling me to travel before I get too old to do it or enjoy the experience. I also find among my peers that even before their physical strength fails and prevents them traveling, they seem to lose interest in straying too far from home or just are apathetic about the whole travel experience, seeing new things etc. Are others finding the same thing as well? What do you think some of the reasons for this may be?
Oh here we go. A thread that makes you wonder if it's gonna be humble brags or senior bashing. I actually dispute your premise.

Well, are you assuming these "peers" were even travelers to begin with?

Are you forgetting that during working years LOTS of people only get 2-3 weeks vacation and want to take it for PERSONAL things like....oh...Christmas and personal days or long weekends. How 'bout traveling to see FAMILY?

Instead of being stuffed with no personal space on a crowded bus in the EU?

I've known a zillion people in my life who had NO interest in travel outside of the US and other than a few vacations in the US MAYBE.

I even know one woman who LOVED Vegas. Went every year or so. Age 38. This was around the year 2000.

She was telling me how romantic it was, riding in the gondola at the Venetian. I think she even said it was like a mall type of thing with retail there.

I really liked her so I had to literally bite my lip to not laugh and I asked was she interested in going to the actual Venice. She goes: "Ew no, it's too dirty over there."

Didn't disagree with her on that but it was so hilarious.

I'm SICK of classical travel but I still have a list of must see places. Mostly our nation's parks and a couple of the Western states plus ND and SD. But I have a service business and it doesn't easily allow for "vacations".

Besides not being interested in experiencing "some places", don't forget the ANNOYANCE of the actual travel. The entire experience. Especially air travel. The airports AND the actual planes/airline. I haven't tried Virgin America and I like Jet Blue, though. I won't even use Orlando, I use WPB and they"re equidistant to me. Well, I did when I HAD to fly somewhere. Which I've refused to do since like, 2009 LOL. We have a new commercial airline in our local municipal airport now and I MIGHT consider flying out of there. Only goes to Newark and NC right now.

Maybe you lived in boring places all your life? We in Philly, LOVE renting and buying shore houses down the Jersey Shore for the summer. THAT is our "vacation". We LOVE our beaches, crazy boardwalks, and shore food spending time with friends and family. We also see very little value dragging our kids all over the place over there instead.

Then there's the Disney lovers LOL.

Perhaps you don't even KNOW there are about 10 different shows on HGTV with people buying vacation properties for that same reason. Lake properties in the case of the NE and Mid West.

Lastly, I guess you don't know many people who carefully planned their retirement to relocate to their dream place. Wanna meet those people? Come to FLORIDA. They LOVE their new lifestyle.

And speaking of FL, I know about 20 couples (seniors) who summer up in their 5-6 bedroom huge Maine houses. And have their large families with 3 generations join them. Then the property caretakers take over for the winter.

P.S. Did you ever eat the food in England in the 1980's??? YUK the undertaste. Thank God I found a Greek joint which imported their meats from Greece. BEcause even the McDonalds was inedible. That's not to say I haven't traveled. I have and still have family in Greece where I spent easily 5 months per year back in the day. And before Greece got totally wrecked.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-27-2017 at 06:26 PM..

Old 09-27-2017, 06:37 PM

6,793 posts, read 3,859,912 times
We traveled A LOT for 35 years, always independently other than 2 cruises later on. We're no longer interested in it, mainly because air travel is so bad now. I know that we couldn't do all the walking we used to do now, so I'm glad we traveled when we did. We're very busy with hobbies and other activities which were difficult to pursue while working and don't miss traveling.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:18 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,313,859 times
For years we traveled all over the world, even lived in several countries. The travel bug has gone out of me. I hate the hassle of packing, flying and dealing with rude people and crowds. Between all the rules and regulations flying, and the smaller seats and leg room, flying is not enjoyable. We owned a high end motorhome which was a great way to see the beautiful US, but the packing and unpacking, hooking up became too much for us too. My arthritis limits my walking distances and there just isn't the appeal anymore. I am happier staying closer to home now.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 PM

567 posts, read 248,555 times
@runswithscissors: "Maybe you lived in boring places all your life? Well, are you assuming these "peers" were even travelers to begin with? Lastly, I guess you don't know many people who carefully planned their retirement to relocate to their dream place"........Please don't make assumptions about people whom you do not know! Through my professional life, I have lived in some of the more interesting places in the world. There is no premise to my post. It only states a fact, and asks others for opinions. Most of the folks who commented seem to get the essence of the post.....and I appreciate their input tremendously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement