U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 1,547 times

Advertisements

Depression perhaps?

I lived in beautiful Montana for 12 awesome years (am a native Midwesterner - bleh), and found just Montana to be a feast for explorers. When I was widowed in 2013, I returned to the Midwest to be closer to family who I needed during the worst of my grief. But, I miss Montana TERRIBLY, and am doing all I can to move back. When you're in Montana, there isn't much need to travel elsewhere - it has everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I'm still active, in my early 70s, travel all over the US for part-time work that I do but people are always telling me to travel before I get too old to do it or enjoy the experience. I also find among my peers that even before their physical strength fails and prevents them traveling, they seem to lose interest in straying too far from home or just are apathetic about the whole travel experience, seeing new things etc. Are others finding the same thing as well? What do you think some of the reasons for this may be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 01:49 AM

7,227 posts, read 4,119,698 times
I had an incredible career as aircrew on the C-130 Hercules with the Air National Guard. I got to travel to about 45 countries and saw and did things that the tourist traveler could only imagine. I even managed to make it to a couple of war zones. Back then, traveling was great because it was all expenses paid, on top of our regular pay and flight pay. And the tax free per diem would pay for all of our off duty leisure activities and then some. Flying was much more comfortable because we could roll out a sleeping bag and take a nap. TSA was not an issue. We just walked out to the airplane from Operations. No screening like airline crews have to go through.

Since I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt, I don't have as much interest in traveling anymore. My wife has no interest in international travel, and I'm fine with that. It would be different having to pay to go to places and see things instead of getting paid to do so, but we could afford it. Maybe some day my wife will decide she wants to travel someplace abroad, and I'll be fine with it. But if that never happens, I have a lifetime of memories of all the places I've been to.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,526 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieBethKirtley View Post
Depression perhaps?

I lived in beautiful Montana for 12 awesome years .... When you're in Montana, there isn't much need to travel elsewhere - it has everything!
While I really like MT.... it is tough to find an international airport, or a great South Pacific diving spot in Dec... so. It has become a "visit often, but live elsewhere state" it is good to keep your MT LLC to register cars and RVs.

When I'm "too old to travel" it will be "putting up" next door to MT in another great state. With a NICE state nursing home location!

Old 09-28-2017, 04:12 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
Spent my youth and young adulthood as an Army brat and then Navy officer. Lived in Europe and traveled all over there for 3 years. Have seen most of the midwest and east coast by car.
You could not pay me to fly or take a bus or train trip. I enjoy day trips and wouldn't mind some more car trips out west and into Canada to see places I haven't seen.
I like back road, slow wanderings, nothing fast or fancy, local food and ambience, camp or budget lodgings. Soak in small town charm and enjoy historical and natural wonders.
Right now I am staying close to home as a caregiver, but I dream of the open road. One day...

Old 09-28-2017, 06:19 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,188,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
@runswithscissors: "Maybe you lived in boring places all your life? Well, are you assuming these "peers" were even travelers to begin with? Lastly, I guess you don't know many people who carefully planned their retirement to relocate to their dream place"........Please don't make assumptions about people whom you do not know! Through my professional life, I have lived in some of the more interesting places in the world. There is no premise to my post. It only states a fact, and asks others for opinions. Most of the folks who commented seem to get the essence of the post.....and I appreciate their input tremendously!
I got the essence: Older people are old farts but you're not - you're still ~adventurous. Vibrant! Interesting! Working! Young-at-Heart! NO health issues at all! Virile! Stamina!

I agree: "Please don't make assumptions about people whom you do not know!"

I asked: Are you assuming these "PEERS" were life long "travelers" to begin with?

*crickets*

I justified my premise:

I've known a zillion people in my life who had NO interest in travel outside of the US and other than a few vacations in the US MAYBE.

OLD FOGEYS!

I bet you still move your own furniture and don't even need to hire professional movers just like back in the day!!

And the irony that the ATL is one of the MOST annoying airports is hilarious. \

World’s busiest airport eases off the “b” word

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.TrJqYkok6yY

Old 09-28-2017, 07:03 AM

3,686 posts, read 1,863,297 times
I am 61 and have little desire to travel outside the USA or far away from home.

I was born in France, lived there, lived in Germany, been to Mexico several times.

There are many places I would prefer to visit right here in the USA.

I'm one of those people who like to sleep in their own bed at night - I am always so happy to be home after a trip.

Husband is like this also, so it works out.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 AM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
I've seen that some of y'all mention packing as an issue

Just take as little as possible. Unless you are out at some super remote location - you can buy whatever you run out of or need.

I guess it can be confusing since I traveled with a sibling that took all kinds of things with her on our last trip. She packed like she was 4 years old. She is the type to get all flustered.

Now the last long trip we took with a group = I bought the biggest suitcase allowed. I knew I wasn't going to have to lug that thing around.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:58 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I justified my premise:

I've known a zillion people in my life who had NO interest in travel outside of the US and other than a few vacations in the US MAYBE.

OLD FOGEYS!
If you look at income and net worth numbers, most people don't travel outside the US because they can't afford it. Ditto vacations within the US unless you're staying with friends/family. Most people are pretty strapped just paying for housing, food, transportation, health care, and a bit of discretionary spending.

When I've had several years straight of road warrior, I kind of like sleeping in my own bed for a while. As a retiree, assuming I have the cash flow to fund it, I'd like to do maybe two major trips per year and a 3 or 4 day long weekend kind of trip pretty much monthly.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:07 AM

769 posts, read 539,317 times
International travel in coach is an awful experience. I'm in my mid 40s and have been all over the world many times. Been there done that. So if I make it into my 60s+ I will only travel in business class and right now that costs usually upwards of $6000 transatlantic or transpacific round trip. Probably will cost $10000+ when I'm retired so $20000 for two and that will be prohibitively expensive.
And at that age I won't squeeze into a 17" narrow coach seat with 30" pitch, little recline and strangers next to me for 10+ hours so I likely won't travel internationally at all anymore.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,293,458 times
When I was in my late 30's I lived in a very small town for a few years. I worked at a small motel as the cleaning lady. The woman who owned this hotel would tell me "Travel while you're still young. Go out and see the world instead of staying in your little 'world'. The planet is a big place so experience different things if you can and see other places. It makes you appreciate what you have"
I have been to many states in the US on vacation since then and traveled to Canada as well. I am hoping I can travel to Hawaii at least once and Australia.
Airports are a hassle but it is the quickest way to get someplace if you have limited time.
Once I can finally retire I will probably travel less and just enjoy where I am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement