Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,408,094 times

Advertisements

Been traveling since a very young age. Saw Europe during the 80's. During my 30's I did the caribbean and latin america.

I recently moved to San Diego....GAME CHANGER ! I live 30 minutes from the border with Mexico where I visit every other week. Weather is great, I have a nice truck, Medical MJ is flowing, Food is fresh. It is hard to find a place that adds up to what I already have.

I usually go away for 1 month at a time when I travel so I spend roughly 6/7k per trip. The places I have visited in the past have gotten more expensive so why repeat something and get less value for your money ? I like to go places where I can do things that are too cost effective where I live. Those types of places are hard to find these days.

Was thinking about visiting Thailand but the thought of so many hours traveling then arriving to stifling heat, stringent rules, scams, Etc. got me re thinking the idea.

The big thing for me is STUFF. When you go away for a month you need the bare essentials with you. I cannot survive on just a carry on and one personal item. I have one bag of gear/clothes at 50 pounds then another bag at 50lbs with toiletries and sleeping gear. When you stay in a cool environment and the hotels have no heat and only one or two blankets each you need warm clothes to sleep. I also carry around two little speakers to use for a white noise loop.

I travel solo so all the effort better be worth it. Unfortunately traveling takes too much effort these days and you pay good money for the less than pleasurable experience. Unless somewhere is a real steal and not to be missed (i.e.. Argentina during the economic crisis) I don't see how it is worth the money or hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 12:14 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,841,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I'm still active, in my early 70s, travel all over the US for part-time work that I do but people are always telling me to travel before I get too old to do it or enjoy the experience. I also find among my peers that even before their physical strength fails and prevents them traveling, they seem to lose interest in straying too far from home or just are apathetic about the whole travel experience, seeing new things etc. Are others finding the same thing as well? What do you think some of the reasons for this may be?
I traveled all over North America during the years I spent in the trucking business. I quit the road in 1989 and other than an occasional weekend trip I have no desire to travel. Why would I ever want to leave the house or my workshop? I enjoy being at home too much to leave.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:28 PM

17,429 posts, read 13,200,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I'm still active, in my early 70s, travel all over the US for part-time work that I do but people are always telling me to travel before I get too old to do it or enjoy the experience. I also find among my peers that even before their physical strength fails and prevents them traveling, they seem to lose interest in straying too far from home or just are apathetic about the whole travel experience, seeing new things etc. Are others finding the same thing as well? What do you think some of the reasons for this may be?
We are in our early 70s. ten, or so, years ago after a trip to Europe,( I think France, Switzerland and Germany) we both came to the realization that they wanted our money more than they wanted us.

That's when we decided to contribute to the US economy and planned all of our travel (2-3 times a year) around US and (a little cheating) Canadian National Parks

We just got back from 3 weeks in the Pacific Northwest National Park hopping. We spend a lot of time in the Western US. Every National Park and Monument is more beautiful and different than the other.

Since my heart surgery and MrsM's new knees we have been and will continue to travel until we drop

Old 10-01-2017, 11:55 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,075,520 times
Thanks to all who responded with their very constructive thoughts. Seems like in many cases, to travel or not, is a personal choice and as long as you are happy doing either, it's your decision. Some of the comments were very motivating, especially the ones that pointed out that people in their 80s were still traveling and enjoying life. Those of us in our 70s can take inspiration from that!

Old 10-01-2017, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 906 times
I'm 70 and love to travel, the problem is I'm single and it's no fun traveling alone so when I travel, I usually go to my sons house in Rhode Island a couple times a year. We also went on a cruise together. But....I'm sure they don't like dragging mom along (lol) and I would really like to be with a significant other myself. There's no comparison. I've been all over the United States (pretty much) but my dream was to go to the UK and Ireland. Like one of the previous posters said, it has become more difficult when you are on a fixed income but I always look to the future and hope for better days ahead. I worked for 40 years and now I'm sorry I retired. Now I have all this time, and no money!!! Isn't that the way it usually goes? lol

Old 10-01-2017, 04:51 PM

7,154 posts, read 9,256,289 times
Sometimes a medical condition comes out of the blue.

All of the sudden, you might have back pain.

Retire as soon as you can swing it financially.

Travel early. Travel before you can't.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Sometimes a medical condition comes out of the blue.

All of the sudden, you might have back pain.

Retire as soon as you can swing it financially.

Travel early. Travel before you can't.
Best advice in my opinion. I don’t think age or even money has as much influence the decision to travel as much as one’s health.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:02 PM

1,542 posts, read 1,028,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia E View Post
I'm 70 and love to travel, the problem is I'm single and it's no fun traveling alone
I have two single friends, late 70's and early 80's who travel alone. One pays for a single supplement as she doesn't like sharing a room. Both women take theme-oriented tours. One goes on hiking trips overseas and the other travels all over the world on bird-watching trips. They have no problem fitting in on these trips as there are others traveling alone.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:48 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We are in our early 70s. ten, or so, years ago after a trip to Europe,( I think France, Switzerland and Germany) we both came to the realization that they wanted our money more than they wanted us.

That's when we decided to contribute to the US economy and planned all of our travel (2-3 times a year) around US and (a little cheating) Canadian National Parks
I've been denounced, over the 21 years here in Las Vegas, for doing nothing to stimulate the local economy, as I save every penny to spend it elsewhere.

A good part of our economy depends on others stimulating our economy, from all over the world, and 40% of our tourists come from California.

So!!! To return the favor of them stimulating the Las Vegas economy, I stimulate the economy of L.A. and San Francisco any chance I get! My way of saying Thank-you!

Old 10-05-2017, 03:54 AM

18,671 posts, read 33,286,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Frankly, I moved to the place I always wanted to live so travel means I have to leave. The sun rises, the sun sets, it is beautiful all day, the night sky is gorgeous, the climate is perfect, I have friends and things to do that I like. I do travel some but enjoy not travelling more unless I'm doing something I can't do at home. It doesn't have much to do with age.
I plan to move to my dream location in April (having visited many times). I have always gone alone and would dearly like a close companion (for travel and for life!) but oh well. I have never had much desire to go internationally- went to Haiti with the Peace Corps at 33 (did not stay due to violence) and a month-long trek to Nepal, which, while interesting, didn't make me feel like I wanted to do it again.

I have my eye on several driving trips from my new place in SW Colorado, involving horses while still able. A 10-hour drive to a ranch in Wyoming. Five hours to Santa Fe for arts/music. Nine hours to Zion park in Utah, again, horses. I have driven around the West myself many times and, as much as I'd like company, the drive is worth it. Maybe I'm a barbarian, but I've never had the desire to go to Europe. Raised on too much World War 2 stuff, maybe. I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing a seaside hilltop village, but not enough to make the whole trip. No interest in castles or churches or art of those eras.

Actually the only places I really want to see or go to galleries/museums seem to be in the American Mountain West. I am eager to be living so much closer to those places than I have been working on the East Coast.

I also think I will not have the money to make such overseas trips. Then again, if it really mattered to me, I'd find a way, including financially. I guess it just doesn't interest me. I love loving my home (after years of fighting the rental wars in the city) and living and working with animals and being in a very beautiful place. Ridgway, Colorado, April, 2018. Passport expired some time ago. I guess that's proof. I might get a new one for possible winter getaways from snowy Colorado but obviously that hasn't been a big priority yet.

So it's not about age. It's really about how I've always been, favoring the American West and being alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement