U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 03:43 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,858,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
I believe social security income should be taxed. Most of the amount paid out after a few years exceeds the amount withheld. In fact I would think it should be subject to the 1.45% Medicare tax. But that is not part of the plan being discussed.
The 2% increase in the lowest tax rate will probably increase my personal taxes since the new standard deduction is less then my itemized deductions.
If they get rid of the estate tax then they need to revoke the step up in basis for assets. And that will hurt a lot more people then the estate tax hit.
Rather than trying to think of new ways to tax people, why don't we do something never done before.....cut government spending! Smaller government, smaller federal budget, lower taxes for everyone. Good for business, good for individuals.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:24 PM

2,215 posts, read 744,615 times
Here is a link to the plan itself..no MSM story, no MSM "interpretation".

Actually it doesn't look too bad at all.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3600...ate#from_embed

Old 09-28-2017, 05:26 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Positive, negative, no change?
Any thoughts?

Edit: there is another thread in Economics but I am hoping fro relevance fro retirees who have more than minimum income.
not sure anyone can truly know. It hasn't been released yet.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:18 PM

9,587 posts, read 10,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I do not know what it is but reducing taxes is a plus. Especially corporations.
Then reduce expenses that do not result in positive results.
Support for the needy should not result in them having a higher standard of living than a tax payer earning the same amount of money and then having to pay taxes that go to the needy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Whatever President Trump does is ok by me. When I voted for him, I gave him my approval.
I wish that every American understood the situation as well as you two. I wish that I could have given you each a thousand reps.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:22 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,644,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
He could kill babies and you'll give him the thumbs up? You don't see a problem with following someone blindly? Trump is still human and can make mistakes.
Like I said.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:23 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,732,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Every Game has Winners and Losers. The Great State of South Carolina exempts SS and Pensions from their Taxable base.

I don't know how Saint Ronnie ramrodded that SS Tax thru Tip O'Neill's Congress, but he should be remembered for shaking down Senior Citizens for a few extra dollars. I don't think Great Britain nor Germany taxes their version of Social Security.

Doesn't matter how much the amount of SS Tax is......it's the ridiculous calculations you have to go thru to determine the amount. Why didn't these geniuses go after the Hedge Fund Millionaires with the same vigor as they went after Retirees ??
Because retirees have no lobbyists.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:00 PM

15,253 posts, read 8,552,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Because retirees have no lobbyists.
Exactly - I get very tired of hearing people cackle about how all the seniors vote so you'd better not cross 'em! Money talks and we know who's listening.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,702,783 times
Smile Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Here is a link to the plan itself..no MSM story, no MSM "interpretation".

Actually it doesn't look too bad at all.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3600...ate#from_embed
I like that the AMT may go away. My husband is a CPA and I always hear him talk about that, not that we have ever had that issue ourselves.

Happy to see the interest deduction is staying. I felt that the elimination would hurt the housing market.

I need to go over the other items with my husband.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:10 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,564,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I like that the AMT may go away. My husband is a CPA and I always hear him talk about that, not that we have ever had that issue ourselves.

Happy to see the interest deduction is staying. I felt that the elimination would hurt the housing market.

I need to go over the other items with my husband.
Doubling the personal exemption will most likely hurt the housing market. It's certainly not gonna help it.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:26 PM

773 posts, read 1,849,243 times
I'm slow. Please explain how doubling the personal exemption will hurt housing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or