U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 06:48 AM

21,474 posts, read 28,350,128 times

Advertisements

The Producers rejected your script as being too far-fetched to make the point. They sent it over to Re-write with instructions to "base it in reality". Here's what they came back with -- I think we might be able to get a Greenlight for the Film. I see Bill Murray in one of the Lead Roles.

And for the Broadway musical I see Andy Karl.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:23 AM

21,474 posts, read 28,350,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Let's try this again. I'm searching for that tiny bit of real information that supports the suggestion that many seniors who claim the mortgage/property deductions would become impoverished if those deductions were removed.
Where IS that relevant data hiding?

Lenora, Have you thought that maybe the reason you cannot find support data is that it doesn't EXIST: Perhaps the the claim is totally bogus?

Nobody can find evidence supporting the Laughter Curve, or Trickle Down theory yet it is hauled out every time there is a discussion of tax cuts (intended only for the very rich.)

Old 10-10-2017, 07:38 AM

1,362 posts, read 766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The Producers rejected your script as being too far-fetched to make the point. They sent it over to Re-write with instructions to "base it in reality". Here's what they came back with -- I think we might be able to get a Greenlight for the Film. I see Bill Murray in one of the Lead Roles.

And for the Broadway musical I see Andy Karl.
Harvey Weinstein is on Line 1......he wants to take a meeting with Sporty, or Misty. He'll give you Notes on the Script, while you give him a Backrub. You better bring Rubber Gloves.

On second thought, a pair of Lineman's Gloves might be better suited for this job.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:45 AM

1,362 posts, read 766,452 times
Quote:
Lenora, Have you thought that maybe the reason you cannot find support data is that it doesn't EXIST: Perhaps the the claim is totally bogus?

Nobody can find evidence supporting the Laughter Curve, or Trickle Down theory yet it is hauled out every time there is a discussion of tax cuts (intended only for the very rich.)
Lenora--
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) tracks Mortgage Data. The Info you are looking for may be on their website somewhere. It was not readily available, and may require some digging....

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/data...h/hmda/explore

If you find what you're looking for, please report back to us.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:55 AM

31,012 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Let's try this again. I'm searching for that tiny bit of real information that supports the suggestion that many seniors who claim the mortgage/property deductions would become impoverished if those deductions were removed. Seriously, I tried to find information before I even addressed the deductions in my initial reply but couldn't find it. Oh, I could find the average property taxes in each state and I could find the percentage of all taxpayers who claimed those deductions. But I could not locate any information that suggests the percentage of or the number of seniors who claimed property related deductions. After locating that info, I'd also like to know the median gross income for those seniors. Without that information, I can't buy into the idea that many seniors are going to lose their homes, declare bankruptcy or be reduced to eating dog food if they lose their mortgage/property tax deductions.

Where IS that relevant data hiding?
Does a tax increase have to result in "impoverishment" to be unfair? My husband and I are over 70 and we itemize. It's hard to make an exact calculation on what this 'tax plan' would do to us, but from the data now available it looks like it would cost us roughly $1,500-$2,500, that won't result in our being impoverished but it's absolutely crazy when you think that we would have to pay more so that the top 0.1 percent would get an average boost in after-tax income of $720,000 or 10.2 percent of their after-tax income.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:27 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
It is like cancer. The percentage impacted isn’t important if it is you. Doesn’t have to be many or a majority to have a impact on some.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Only takes some to be valid. No one claimed a majority of nor is the thread title about a majority of. It is about possible impacts.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Trickle down did work for some but it required a level of participation to benefit not available to many. As with most trickles as it flows down and is absorbed along the way the volume of diminishes.

Some learned a long time ago to as best they can to tether themselves to big business and get the benefits as high up in the flow as possible.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trickle
Quote:
a :to issue or fall in drops
b :to flow in a thin gentle stream
a :to move or go one by one or little by little customers began to trickle in
b :to dissipate slowly his enthusiasm trickled away
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tether

Quote:
a :a line (as of rope or chain) by which an animal is fastened so as to restrict its range of movement
b :a line to which someone or something is attached (as for security)
A crewman can clip the tether of his harness to the [safety line] and leave it clipped as he makes his way forward and aft. —Michael A. Smith
:the limit of one's strength or resources I'm at the end of my tether
If a program is going to pump money into corporations thus increasing their value owning that stock gives you a share of.

The dilemma is if you are not a war hawk and a war hawk gets elected vice president and is expected to be the major decision maker do you compromise and buy Halliburton. I went with principle and missed a lot of money growth but slept well. Not really I did often kick myself as it was such a obvious buy opportunity right after 9/11.

Unfortunately many don't have the opportunity to get in the game and eventually the trickle is no more.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 AM

19,520 posts, read 20,898,162 times
Quote:

Ah, the Laughter Curve. Always gives me a chuckle.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:14 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,434,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Erroneous conflation. Actual dollars aren't the issue - PERCENT of earnings IS.
False. Dollars are the issue. Our government pays its bills with dollars, not percentages.

Percent of earnings is only interesting to Social Justice Warriors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or