U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2017, 09:13 PM
 
1,183 posts, read 760,467 times
Reputation: 3403

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
For the original post, although the pension itself may not be huge, the later contributors brought up the other two legs of the stool... Social Security and more importantly the TSP. The govt should be matching 4% of whatever you add into TSP (matching first 3% and 50% of 4th and 5th percent you contribute) so that is totally free money. I think they also do a 1% regardless of anything you may contribute - over time, this will add up especially if you also do the over-50 catch-up contribution. Add to that the FEHB after five years of employment.

For the retirement change proposals, several are very concerning - namely the cancellation of any COLA for FERS retirees (I think ALL FERS retirees) and the reduction by .5% of the COLA for CSRS retirees, as well as changing the calculations for the G Fund rates to drop to true short term rates instead of mimicking long-term rates - that will devastate those who have any substantial balances in the G Fund and particularly impacts those either already retired or getting closer to retirement who have a lower risk tolerance. I haven't heard a lot about any grandfathering for the various items (I'm currently getting the FERS supplement). This is all very unsettling since after 35+ years of govt service, just as I'm heading out the door they are changing all the rules - none of them in our favor.

P.S. I retired with the crowd at the end of 2016, got my first partial (approx 95% of my final) on 15 February (two-week delay was expected due to the end of the year rush), and my file was completed with the final amount coming on 1 May (4 month turnaround); annual leave payment was received within two weeks of retirement with a later adjustment up to account for the 1.9% raise on 1 January 2017. Not bad at all.
in all the little blurbs i've read about the house bill that passed there was no mention of any sort of grandfather provisions.

House Proposal for Federal Employee Health Program Could Decimate Workers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2017, 02:21 AM
 
161 posts, read 91,593 times
Reputation: 273
wrt sick leave, I was told a returning employee can have his unused sick leave reinstated. I think FERS was assumed.


I applied for a GOV job recently, so this might apply to me (former federal employee).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
it's 240 hours carry over for most but not everyone. also, AL earnings vary as well, i.e. title 38

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over.../annual-leave/
I stand corrected on the 240. The rest is relevant and important for those folks to understand.

For the cashing in of leave for retirement an employee could potentially have 424 hours of leave to get as a lump sum which will go a long way helping bridge the gap between last working paycheck to first full retirement check.

Where we worked if an employee appeared to be using leave as quickly as they earned it they were watched closely for signs of a drug or alcohol problem. If an employee lost use or lose annual leave the supervisor had to write a report on what happened. You can bet most didnít like doing that.

Still as I said acrueing sick leave as a hedge for an illness or injury saved you from AFLAC payments.

Thanks old fed. I am grateful for the correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 06:39 AM
 
6,876 posts, read 7,273,507 times
Reputation: 9785
OP, here.....Given that the only reasons I want to even work the gov't job is the benefits, and I only want to do 8 years....I will be very pihssed if any retirement benefits are changed -- without grandfathering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Reputation: 6377
Then you are doing it for the wrong reason and should just skip it. All you will do is be miserable. Thereís already too much grumbling it every department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Location: Happy Place
3,688 posts, read 1,866,292 times
Reputation: 11301
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
then you are doing it for the wrong reason and should just skip it. All you will do is be miserable. Thereís already too much grumbling it every department.
^^^
amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 12:30 PM
 
6,876 posts, read 7,273,507 times
Reputation: 9785
That's funny because when I specifically asked on another thread -- would you take a fed job you hate just for the benefits people, including you Old Soldier (didn't you), said you would work a job for the benefits. Now you say I'm taking the job for the wrong reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976:
I did. I joined the Army National Guard knowing I might have to deploy to a war zone or be called out in the middle of the night to respond to a tornado's destructive path through my state. I did it knowing full well that at the end of it all I would have two pensions and healthcare. I did that job for 30 years as a guardsmen. Please do not say that people will not put up with a lot of BS for the bennies at the end.
I'm not trying to calling you out on it or anything like that. But you did say the opposite of what you're saying here.

As for the proposed changes to federal employee and retiree benefits (health and G fund, and supplement, and cola change).....what's the chance that some of those will ULTIMATELY pass after reconciliation between the two chambers' bills. After all is said and done will they pass -- that's the question.

Last edited by selhars; 10-11-2017 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That's funny because when I specifically asked on another thread -- would you take a fed job you hate just for the benefits people, including you Old Soldier (didn't you), said you would work a job for the benefits. Now you say I'm taking the job for the wrong reason.



I'm not trying to calling you out on it or anything like that. But you did say the opposite of what you're saying here.
I agree that benefits are an important factor but if that is all you are going to go after and grumble cause you didn't get exactly what you think you are supposed to get then you are going in with the wrong attitude. Yes we all go for the benefits. But we also know exactly that we are doing it at the mercy of the Joe Q Public. That makes us all gluttons for punishment. Hence my reason for saying that you are going at it for the wrong reason and will really be disappointed even if you get exactly what you are looking for.

I know it is hard to imagine. There is a mind set of us that knows we are subject to a very different set of rules. I am not exactly saying don't go for it. What I am saying is go at it with a slightly different mindset and you will be happier for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 01:42 PM
 
1,183 posts, read 760,467 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That's funny because when I specifically asked on another thread -- would you take a fed job you hate just for the benefits people, including you Old Soldier (didn't you), said you would work a job for the benefits. Now you say I'm taking the job for the wrong reason.

I'm not trying to calling you out on it or anything like that. But you did say the opposite of what you're saying here.

As for the proposed changes to federal employee and retiree benefits (health and G fund, and supplement, and cola change).....what's the chance that some of those will ULTIMATELY pass after reconciliation between the two chambers' bills. After all is said and done will they pass -- that's the question.
of course no one can answer that question. but if not now you can rest assured there will be future attempts and sooner or later one of them will stick. it seems to me going after federal employees has been ramped up significantly in the past few years but i might be biased.

feds are held out as trough feeders that get something others don't get. rather than improve the lot of everyone congress tries to drag everyone else down. at the very least this focus on the feds will continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 PM
 
6,876 posts, read 7,273,507 times
Reputation: 9785
^^ Thanks. I'm still undecided. I have THREE part-time jobs (well, already have two, accepted and offer for a third today) and one does provide decent benefits. And believe it or not each one of them I'd rather do than the fed gig.....but there's a niggling part of me that says I'd be crazy to turn down a fed job.....

Thank God I am blessed to have such a dilemma.
I do know how lucky I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top