U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's the one I'm most concerned about and anyone I try and talk to doesn't seem concerned at all about that one. They are basing that on the low inflation and CPI adjustments of recent years. I've heard "who cares there hasn't been a COLA in 2 years anyway." I see inflation as cyclical and am very concerned if that gets eliminated and I happen to be retired in years that inflation is high. Am I the one overstating the risk or are they failing to see it? At least I have some time to plan for that if it does go into effect and adjust accordingly. I can't imagine what I would do if I was already retired.
Yes this is the case. However as we are today all is not lost. We have a voice and continue to have a voice. If you want you can begin to do the same. Write your congressman and senators. Call them if you are not intimidated by them. I actually am in communication with my Congressman Jim McGovern of Massachusetts. I have to not addressed this but addressed something that affects a much smaller group of people. He has contacted me via his staffer and asked me about my concerns. He did this because I wrote him three times with the same question. It was the third time when I said thank you for the usual political speech but he neglected to answer the direct question I had about HR 303. It stands for House Resolution 303 and is the bill that is supposed to end veterans who have retired pay and a disability rating with pay of 10 to 40%. If you are a veteran with a disability under 50% your retired pay is tacked with a payment back for to pay for that disability. If you have a rating of 50% or more you get to keep all of it. Why does it only affect less than have disabled veterans? I have no idea and congress agrees and has tacitly approved this but that has been in committee since 2007 and through 10 congress groups. Every 2 years congress is up for election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
This Government Executive article provides some information on the differences between the House and the Senate proposal and the path forward. There is also a good article posted on FEDWeek:

Senate Approves Budget Plan, Setting Up Fight Over Fed Benefit Cuts - Pay & Benefits - GovExec.com

"The Senate voted 51-49 Thursday night to approve its fiscal 2018 budget resolution, following a lengthy session of debate on proposed amendments. The legislation (H. Con. Res. 71) as approved by the Senate Budget Committee, sets the stage for Republican efforts to reform the federal tax code, and it orders the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee to slash $1 billion in spending over the next decade. But it does not recommend any cuts to federal employee benefits as part of those savings.

Representatives from both chambers must now meet to iron out the differences between their resolutions before a unified version goes back to each body for a final vote. The instructions to the oversight committee on cuts will be among the differences to be resolved."

Someone else may have more insights on the budget process. It is too complicated for me. I had emailed my Senators previously on this issue focusing on the COLA and FEHB cuts (which I consider to be the most unfair of the proposed cuts) and plan to do the same now for my state's three representatives. However only one is a Republican and I am not in his district. But at least I am taking some action which makes me feel better. It is easy to email them - each Congressman has a website set up for this - just google how to email your Congressman.

Edited to better address quote:

Yes, we should be very concerned about the elimination of the FERS COLA especially as the current SS and CSRS COLAs don't seem to actually reflect true inflation for the retiree (e.g., underestimate inflation for medical, insurance, and property tax) and the FERS COLA is already less. As far as adjustments, anyone retiring should plan to pad their retirement income sufficiently to plan for the unknown. I recently retired from federal service after working two extra years to beef up my retirement income, mostly to have adequate funds for any unexpected expenses but also to increase my travel budget. I had concerns that I would regret working those extra years but am starting to feel much better about that decision given the current political environment.
So as I said above, we have a voice. Our union reps are going to fight but they need more than them. They need all of us to let congress know that we are watching. That is how things get done. Under a microscope is how we put pressure on congress to do what they need to do. With enough pressure they act.

I am a very politically minded person. I let my senators and congressman know who I am and that I am watching. One of those Senator Warren has thumbed her nose at me so far. But that is fine. I know how to push her button too. It just takes a little longer to put a bit of pressure under a senator. Congress is always under the gun. Senators are insulated for 6 years. Her time will come soon.

Oh people this goes for every idea you have to get fixed. Let your government know your views. Even if it goes against what I am for. That is what I raised my hand to defend. To defend our way of life like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or