U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 PM

258 posts, read 234,570 times

Advertisements

Somewhere on one of the memorial threads it was mentioned that Robyn didn't think anyone should move into a CCRC until the age of 80. As I am looking at these communities, I'd be interested in her reasoning. I tried a search but came up empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 03:38 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,461,420 times
THREAD Sorry I moved, Should I go back? (move, communities, friends)

GrannyEM

Three months ago I moved to a CCRC and I now regret it. I'm almost 70 and was concerned about having care as I get older. I am a widow and my only child is in Australia where I do not want to live (but do visit).

My CCRC is in too small a town and not close enough to any big city so I'm not finding things to do. 90% of the residents are much older and often more infirm.

I loved my old community but didn't want to take care of a house anymore. Now I feel I moved too soon.

Should I try to go home again and buy in the same community where I still have friends or try a different CCRC in a larger city with a younger average resident base?

I am kicking myself but not certain if I should move. This is an expensive mistake to make but I remind myself I'll be dead a long, long time so I need to live where I want no

06-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Robyn55 .

14,635 posts, read 15,585,227 times

Originally Posted by Mr5150

So a simple yes-no question. How many here have been in a long term care facility? If you believe the insurance boys, 70% of folk over 65 will spend an average of two years in a LTC facility.

My research says otherwise. Are you over 65? Spent any time in LTC?

What I did find is those over 90 did have a 50% chance of ending one's days in a LTC facility.

My research says otherwise. Are you over 65? Spent any time in LTC?

What I did find is those over 90 did have a 50% chance of ending one's days in a LTC facility.

Posted by Robyn55 below in response to Mr5150

I think you're asking the wrong question. It's not whether we for the most part have spent time in a LTC facility. We are mostly < 75. It's whether our parents or inlaws have. In my case - my late FIL spent the average 2.5 years in a LTC facility before he died. He was in his early 80's. My late MIL was in and out of them after various hospitalizations in her late 70's (she died with home hospice at age 79). My late mother needed LTC - but got it at home (not at all cheap). In her early 80's.

My father is still alive - and not yet in a LTC facility (although he does live in a "senior" facility). He is 95. The average age in his facility now is about 84 (just about no one < 75 - many people in their 80's). Just about everyone he knows has spent at least some time in a LTC facility (he's been living in his current place for about 8 years now). It is often the last place people live before they die.

So - based on what I've observed - the critical age isn't 90. For most people - it's closer to 80.

Also - statistics can lie to a certain extent. Because many people have too much money to qualify for Medicaid and not enough to pay for LTC. So their families struggle to take care of them at home when LTC would be a better solution. Robyn

Last edited by matisse12; 09-28-2017 at 03:47 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 03:49 PM

258 posts, read 234,570 times
Thank you, matisse12

I am thinking my husband and I would want to move into one in our mid-70s because we have to be capable of living independently when we move in and pass a medical exam. It might make fitting in and making friends a bit easier too.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:16 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,255,180 times
My parents went in to a CCRC 2 yrs ago at age 79 and thought they might be a little early as they see several residents in walkers and still don't like seeing it.

The price is very high $5k/month for both of them. Plus to get in was very expensive. They like the social contact and having the amenities in their facility. They've made several friends. They probably have a few regrets as their home had things (more space, garage) that they currently don't have. Both are still very fit and physically active and do a lot of things every day....always busy w/ activities.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,679 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
Thank you, matisse12

I am thinking my husband and I would want to move into one in our mid-70s because we have to be capable of living independently when we move in and pass a medical exam. It might make fitting in and making friends a bit easier too.
I help a lot of seniors, and it is alarming to see how many people are moving OUT of CCRC for various reasons (usually they come too early). I find early to mid 80's more common, but some are not ready in mid nineties. Just have your plan made and documented and conveyed (to whoever might implement it) by age 78.

All are different (People and facilities). Many are very nice, most are pretty old demographic

My mom tried one for 90 days at age 84, she returned home, but soon required higher care. She is sticking it out at home, with in-home caregivers. (she is much happier that way). Often great for couples (Shared caregiver). Thus... I build extra living space in each of my homes, or next door (buy / build a home next door for YOU or future caregiver)

Of 4 couples I moved into CCRC, all 4 left... (For various reasons,)

Having to split up couples is another frequent show stopper (some CCRC have crazy strict rules)

Good luck

Old 09-29-2017, 10:49 AM

29,819 posts, read 34,912,438 times
Quote:
Somewhere on one of the memorial threads it was mentioned that Robyn didn't think anyone should move into a CCRC until the age of 80. As I am looking at these communities, I'd be interested in her reasoning. I tried a search but came up empty.
Robyn and I had multiple exchanges on this topic. A lot was based on her dad and her own personal situation. Robyn was wealthy and could afford at home services as needed. She had a large one story home which she could outfit as needed. Eighty is often a common age that folks actually go in. We are looking at age 75 plus but probably 80. Reality is the average age is in the 80's and that will be your peer group. There are new CCRC models aimed at younger folks. Will it work?

Old 09-29-2017, 01:30 PM

12,586 posts, read 4,254,726 times
Quote:
Did Robyn pass away?

Old 09-29-2017, 01:37 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,178,014 times
Yes she did.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:38 PM

Robyn Greene obituaries

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/her...&pid=186314625

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nam...view=guestbook

Last edited by matisse12; 09-29-2017 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 01:51 PM

Densi52,

Here is a list of threads containing Robyn55's posts in threads where CCRC's are discussed.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=29854779

I searched and there are no threads which she started that have CCRC in the title.

If you glance down the list, you can see the numerous threads on CCRC's. Robyn55 posted in all of them.

I know it might be cumbersome. But might be worthwhile for someone interested in CCRC's.

(I post it just in case it's helpful)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement