U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 02:41 PM

20,598 posts, read 16,652,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Well don't forget, some old people (myself included) get bored easily. When you see those people at the checkout, or those grocery stockers, don't always assume they HAVE to work. For some people, it is a very big choice and a privilege so they can keep using their brain.

I ,for one, have nearly completed renovating my house. So I am signing up with three different places to volunteer this winter. As soon as it's too cold to be in the garden, I will need more to do.
This lady was frail and she looked exhausted. I am getting older myself and I work with the elderly, I hold no prejudicial views. I just had a 90 year old patient who still works, and I think it was awesome. But he was in good shape, not kyphotic and limping, and it is a job he has been doing for decades and on his own schedule.

My brother and I both share the same retirement plan, Walmart greeters, lol. But it won't be by choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 04:37 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Yes. I grew up probably frugal compared to many today, but we were pretty "rich" in comparison to others. We had 2 TV's, 2 cars (older ones), a house paid for (small one), even 2 fireplaces! When you went to the doctor and dentist, you didn't worry about going bankrupt either! You just went and that was that. My parents didn't live on credit cards, heck, not sure they had any. Stuff was bought on "time" back then with no interest.
I definitely would have considered you rich. I recall being amazed at the homes occupied by Donna Reed, Ozzie, Harriet and the Cleavers. . Those families were rich!

Old 09-30-2017, 05:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 2,551,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
....the babyboomer generation has a reputation for being a rapacious generation that spent profligately on their wants and status symbols?
You are not describing the Baby Boomer Generation, generally speaking, but rather those that followed us.

I never knew a single person who got mommy and daddy to pay for a multi-thousand dollar wedding, wedding dress, etc. We didn't wear clothes with named labels on our butt.

We rented 1-bedroom flats when we got married, not straight into new homes, let alone homes in top school districts with status.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:52 PM

746 posts, read 483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Well. I wanted to read this article, but when I go to the link, the Washington Post wants to charge me $1.00 to read the article. Went to their website and got the same thing. Maybe it is because it is the end of the month and I have already read my allocated # of articles.

I cannot bring myself to pay Jeff Bezos $1.00 to read this article, so I will have to skip it. Maybe, in a few years, when I am in my Golden Girls situation, we can pool our funds and get a subscription. Or maybe I am being overly optimistic.
Don't blame you for not wanting to pay! Do you live near a library? If so, they will likely have it online.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:32 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,708,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Or that the babyboomer generation has a reputation for being a rapacious generation that spent profligately on their wants and status symbols?
As a 70 year old who's neither rapacious nor a profligate spender I'm supposed to not be offended by this because ... ?

Old 10-01-2017, 04:12 AM

13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Fourteen hundred miles! This sounds wacko to me. I kept thinking, "There are no temp jobs in Indiana, or adjacent states??"
There are plenty of older/retired people who live the RV life, and they keep it cheap by doing jobs on the road. They are not driving 1400 miles to get the job, they are on the road out of choice and do the job on top of it. I think that part of the article was misleading.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:52 AM

12,708 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I definitely would have considered you rich. I recall being amazed at the homes occupied by Donna Reed, Ozzie, Harriet and the Cleavers. . Those families were rich!
Exactly!

By the time TV entered our home and my life we were finally living at a decent working class level (measured by small town standards), but when people ask me about now these programs, believing that they are example of average life in the 50's I have to grin. My parents did not see the people in those programs as being typical of the 1950's, they were clearly, obviously well-off...nothing "average" about them at all. My father had three very well off siblings, and that is how they lived, but not most of the folks in my town.

When politicians and religious blowhards wax nostalgic about the Fifties in terms of such shows my immediate thought is "You're nuts!"

Old 10-01-2017, 05:16 AM

12,708 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
1) I am old enough to remember when clothes were well-made, not Chinese junk, and repairing them made sense....
A favorite topic of mine (grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!), but a different take.

If you are getting crappy, badly made clothes in the United States but manufactured in China - wake up! Your American brand name would not be accepting cheapo clothes in the hundreds of thousands from China if it were not ordering cheapo clothes. Do a reality check, if X chain store is selling such stuff, you better believe that they did not just passively lie down and accept a lot of crap from China: they got the quality of merchandise that they ordered!

You are being suckered alright, but it ain't by the Chinese.

I am very, very familiar with Chinese merchandise. The Chinese can and do make superbly sewn garments of fine fabrics, but American manufacturers want goods that cost as little as possible to maximize their profit. I've purchased those tissue paper thin garments (and been furious), and you're right they wouldn't stand up to mending....they would tear at the mend.

So, of course, if you have to buy three tee shirts in five years, as opposed to being able to mend one and make it last three or four, Sears, Lands End, etc. are not weeping great salt tears for you....they have you by the tail and are cooing in your ear about how wonderful it will be for lucky you to have their latest and greatest new (crap) tee shirt or blouse.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:27 AM

6,422 posts, read 4,183,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Well. I wanted to read this article, but when I go to the link, the Washington Post wants to charge me $1.00 to read the article. Went to their website and got the same thing. Maybe it is because it is the end of the month and I have already read my allocated # of articles.

I cannot bring myself to pay Jeff Bezos $1.00 to read this article, so I will have to skip it. Maybe, in a few years, when I am in my Golden Girls situation, we can pool our funds and get a subscription. Or maybe I am being overly optimistic.
Open a "Private Window" in your browser and there won't be any cookies available to tell them you've been there before. I use Safari, but I know there is something similar in IE.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 AM

6,422 posts, read 4,183,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
OK, this may be straying a bit from what the OP was asking.

New technology. Why is it so dang hard? I just bought a new cell phone. Heck of a time activating it (should have just taken it to Walmart).

Set up Voice Mail. How do I even listen to it if I get one? I'll have to go back to Walmart to find out.

There once was a time in my memory when things were very clearly explained in the literature received with the product. Not so anymore. Very frustrating.
It's still there. It's just that with the necessity to add all that safety crap before you get to the instructions, they have to print it so small, you need a good pair of glasses and a magnifying glass to be able to read it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or