U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:45 PM

30,765 posts, read 49,603,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
What we need and what we have are different, however.
There are people who insist that they want growth.

There are communities who are fine without growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 04:13 PM

10,150 posts, read 12,433,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Another thing is that the house may not even appreciate that much.

I was looking at a condo about a month ago in a desirable part of this area. It sold for $79,000 in 2009 and recently sold for $83,000. That's not even keeping up with inflation.
We purchased a 3 br condo with 2 car attached garage last March for $143k and prices have gone crazy and last week a 2 br condo with 1 car attached garage went under contract for $140k. I know we wouldn't have any problem selling for $155k or better because they go within 24 hours of hitting the market. It's crazy, I've never seen anything like it. But price doesn't matter one bit because we love our condo, the association and the area we live in so we never see ourselves selling. They do all the yard work and snow removal so I don't even own a rake or snow shovel anymore. If it snows, or gets icy, I'll just stay at home.

Using ncguy50's definition of retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Working in retirement, on your own terms, is still retirement. Working because you have to is just an extension of your working life.
That's my quote of the day because it describes me perfectly.

I guess I am retired because the only reason I'm working is because I want to.

We lived in very rural Georgia, close to the Florida line, before selling our house and moving to a condo which is in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio 775 miles in snow country. Talk about a backward move but we love it. We have 1,000 more places to visit, shop and eat out. We have family very close and for medical issues Ohio State Medical Center and Riverside Methodist Hospital is but a 15 to 20 minute drive away.

Restaurants? I bet we have 100 of them within 5 miles where before your choice was DQ, Hardee's and McDonald's unless you wanted to drive 20 miles or better.

Not in a big city but close fits us perfectly.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 PM

6,876 posts, read 7,842,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There are communities who are fine without growth.
Are you suggesting Maine is one of them?

“Maine faces a major demographic challenge: It has a declining number of younger people entering the workforce. To power the economy even at its current level, the state will need more people who aren’t currently working to work, in addition to drawing workers from outside state lines.

“How can Maine generate productive workers within its borders and make itself more attractive to people outside the state? There are three important indicators to watch to see how Maine’s economy will perform. So far, the outlook is: not well.“
3 major things that need to change to grow Maine

Old 10-15-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Are you suggesting Maine is one of them?

“Maine faces a major demographic challenge: It has a declining number of younger people entering the workforce. To power the economy even at its current level, the state will need more people who aren’t currently working to work, in addition to drawing workers from outside state lines.

“How can Maine generate productive workers within its borders and make itself more attractive to people outside the state? There are three important indicators to watch to see how Maine’s economy will perform. So far, the outlook is: not well.“
3 major things that need to change to grow Maine
'things needed to grow maine' ?

Why is that even considered important?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 AM

6,876 posts, read 7,842,291 times
Quote:

I didn’t write the article, nor the dozens others written by Maine journalists and economists in recent years listing serious problems caused by the state’s stagnant economy: poverty, shrinking job rate, and rising taxes among them.

If you are asking your question rhetorically, I would move it to the econ forum. Others will do a better job explaining the consequences of a stagnant economy than I.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 PM

1,137 posts, read 574,542 times
Quote:

Well, although I love why people MOVE to Maine, and I LOVE the state, there are some downsides. When DW and I sold our tech company in CO and moved to Maine, I thought 'hey, people here need jobs, so we can get someone to come on board to learn a new skill, and we can all grow together!!'.

NOT.

Months of advertising for new employees for our fledgling company produced NADA. No inquiries, no calls, no emails. OK, we were in the wrong area, so we moved further south, and thought we needed to get involved in the local culture to grow a business. We got involved in the Maine Technology Incubator, and landed a state grant for developing new Technologies to grow the 'new Maine'. We became involved with U-Maine Orono. We attended tech fairs, met with people at Bath Iron Works, and other successful companies. Nobody even understood what we developed.

Nada.

A company in Tucson found out about our grant, offered us the sky for rights to develop the technology, and paid for relocation and basically our house there. We grew their company from an idea to 2 million in sales in 4 months.

Maine doesn't NEED to grow. But the kids are leaving because of ingrained bias toward anything the the locals don't understand. That is SAD, and is contrary to logic. The worst of this occurred when the guys I worked in Tucson with were FINED by the State of Maine for not paying income taxes in Maine because I was an employee, but still owned my primary residence in Maine. I was fired.

Maine is a beautiful state, but it SUCKs big-time for business, and for people wanting a future.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:11 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,478,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post

The worst of this occurred when the guys I worked in Tucson with were FINED by the State of Maine for not paying income taxes in Maine because I was an employee, but still owned my primary residence in Maine. I was fired.
What? You're saying you had a primary residence in Maine while living in Tucson Arizona and you were fired for not paying income tax in Maine? If so, what about the IRS rules and its penalties toward you?

When I lived 6 months in one state and the other 6 months in another state, it was very easy to see in IRS regulations/rules that I needed to pay income tax in both states.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:14 PM

1,137 posts, read 574,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What? You're saying you had a primary residence in Maine while living in Tucson Arizona and you were fired for not paying income tax in Maine? If so, what about the IRS rules and its penalties toward you?

When I lived 6 months in one state and the other 6 months in another state, it was very easy to see in IRS regulations/rules that I needed to pay income tax in both states.
I did pay taxes in both states. It was the employee taxes that they owed for me in Maine that was the gotcha. They paid the taxes and penalties. I lost.

Last edited by MichiganGreg; 10-17-2017 at 05:22 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
... Maine is a beautiful state, but it SUCKs big-time for business, and for people wanting a future.
The future is out there regardless.

I think that many Mainers do not want the population of Maine to grow. Which is why I have had to ask why it seems important for outsiders to thrust population growth onto Maine?

Old 10-18-2017, 12:37 AM

14,295 posts, read 24,077,597 times
Quote:
A company in Tucson found out about our grant, offered us the sky for rights to develop the technology, and paid for relocation and basically our house there. We grew their company from an idea to 2 million in sales in 4 months.

Maine doesn't NEED to grow. But the kids are leaving because of ingrained bias toward anything the the locals don't understand. That is SAD, and is contrary to logic. The worst of this occurred when the guys I worked in Tucson with were FINED by the State of Maine for not paying income taxes in Maine because I was an employee, but still owned my primary residence in Maine. I was fired.

Maine is a beautiful state, but it SUCKs big-time for business, and for people wanting a future.

In all fairness, the same anti-business attitude and anti-growth is alive and well in Tucson. How many University of Arizona graduates would love to stay in Tucson but end up moving to Phoenix or other states because there are not many opportunities in the area or that many of the defense-related jobs hire nationally and bring people from outside the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or