U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 07:41 AM

5,689 posts, read 8,754,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If we're going to regard our houses and land as investments, we need for demand to be rising.
A rental house is an investment if the income covers expenses and maintenance - including a "sinking fund" for long term repair.

A home can be an investment if the costs (including repairs) are less than renting. Improvements can be an investment if they make a house more marketable, but most improvements are done for the owners' enjoyment.

Counting on a rise in price due to demand is speculation. It might be easier to speculate in the stock market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 08:13 AM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I grew up in rural Maineand New Hampshire. Of my high school class, about 65% never left the state and are retired or close to retiring there. I graduated in the 80ís, I suspect a much higher percentage are leaving now. None of the ones who left for college, military or anything else at a young age have returned, as far as I know.

I have family there and go back to visit, but the lifestyle is so different from what Iíve experienced since leaving, thereís really no going home, so to speak. Itís like itís own little world, and the natives like it that way.....aaahyup.
I grew-up in California. I graduated in 1977, my highschool class had 750+ seniors. Most of them still live within a 40-mile radius of our hometown.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:17 AM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
... Population growth is necessary for property values to rise. If we're going to regard our houses and land as investments, we need for demand to be rising. The bromide about "Invest in land, because they're not building any more of it", is predicated on the idea of there being more people on the land. If on the contrary there are fewer people, then in effect, yes, more land is being "built".
I really do not view Single-Family home ownership as an 'investment'.

Our first four homes were, but they were Multi-Family-Residences with rental incomes. My salary was never required to make mortgage payments.

If your economy is all about creating housing bubbles, that is not very sustainable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or