U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 09:01 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times

Advertisements

There is no perfect place. But, I prefer the amenities in an urban area - better health care, better shopping options, more to do, etc.

i don't like small town living, as far as the small social world, either.

The only thing I miss is being able to walk my dog off -leash somewhere peaceful. You don't get that in the city. But that's the only thing I miss. And since I never have to be on the road anymore during rush hour, traffic's no longer an issue, either.

Plus, where I live now, if I want to go visit a friend on the other side of San Francisco Bay, I can take a train, with a bar car and have a beer, and enjoy the sights and not deal with traffic.

And there are classes to take and events to go to - just so much more to do and experience in an urban area.

Plus, when I ever get to the point I can't drive, etc., the transition will be much easier here. When you live in a city of a million people, you don't have to worry about being able to find people or benefits to hire or to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 01:11 PM

23,623 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I think it’s easier for most people to rely on stereotypes. I have a bit of a theory on why northeasterners are more friendly than those in other parts of the country. We live in denser locales and come into contact with a whole diverse populous on a regular basis.

OTOH, in Houston, each morning people drive their air-conditioned cars from their garages at home to their work garages, then take an air-conditioned tunnel to their air-conditioned offices. Each afternoon, they reverse the order, nestling in their oversized suburban homes for the evening. This leads to a life where people only interact with people like themselves. In such an insulated life, those who are different tend to be seen as ”the other.”

The lack of interaction with others combined with suburban sprawl only further isolates people from the diverse broader world. This leads to a life where people tend to live in cocoons, content to spend their free time with their families, playing with all their expensive toys.
Yeah, I was just very surprised with how unfriendly a lot of folks were around Indianapolis and in Iowa.

Indianapolis is endless blowing of horns. People flipping each off in traffic. A lot of surly customer service. Lack of conversation even when you'd expect it, like the gym sauna. Maybe it's a local phenomenon. I've talked to several other people who lived in the local area and are not from there, and had similar feelings. I did make friends, but they were largely not from Indianapolis.

Iowa was just more reserved overall.

People never seemed to stop talking in Boston. I had the complete opposite impression most folks get.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 PM

568 posts, read 249,953 times
I know the winters in Pittsburgh can be harsh but have been reading a lot about the city renovation projects, especially on the river. It seems to be very nice with new condos, apartments restaurants etc. Does anyone have first hand experience with living there? I don't mind cold weather and my needs are more around walkability, safety, proximity to cultural events and health care from a large university medical center or health care system

Last edited by atlguy44; 10-06-2017 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-06-2017, 03:30 PM

6,865 posts, read 7,813,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I know the winters in Pittsburgh can be harsh but have been reading a lot about the city renovation projects, especially on the river. It seems to be very nice with new condos, apartments restaurants etc. Does anyone have first hand experience with living there? I don't mind cold weather and my needs are more around walkability, safety, proximity to cultural events and health care from a large university medical center or health care system
Lots of helpful people on the Pittsburgh forum.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:06 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,593,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I've just breezed through both on numerous business trips but both Pittsburg & Philadelphia always surprised me on just how livable, pretty & interesting they both were, surprised since they rarely come up on lists or in conversations. The compromise is they have winter I guess, I don't know about taxes at all there.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:36 AM

2,546 posts, read 808,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I've just breezed through both on numerous business trips but both Pittsburg & Philadelphia always surprised me on just how livable, pretty & interesting they both were, surprised since they rarely come up on lists or in conversations. The compromise is they have winter I guess, I don't know about taxes at all there.
PA is very tax friendly.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Pennsylvania

I was torn between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia but want to be closer to NYC so I decided on Philadelphia.

Last edited by Hannah5555; 10-07-2017 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: reword

Old 10-07-2017, 02:37 PM

11,149 posts, read 8,559,848 times
Quote:
I'm originally from Philly. I may have to add it back to my list of potential retirement cities. As for the winters...well...I could stay indoors on the bad weather/snow days. Heck, I'll be retired. I can do that.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:01 PM

1,068 posts, read 519,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm originally from Philly. I may have to add it back to my list of potential retirement cities. As for the winters...well...I could stay indoors on the bad weather/snow days. Heck, I'll be retired. I can do that.
I’m going to Boston, mostly because it feels like home and I can afford it. Philly would be second on my list if I couldn’t afford Boston.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:21 PM

1,151 posts, read 952,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Perhaps you are like us. After spending nearly our entire careers in Houston, we knew we wanted to leave when I retired in December 2010. ... We began visiting the major cities on each coast and found Philadelphia to be a fantastic fit for us. ....
I hear you. Having been born in Houston, perhaps having my childhood here prepared me a bit more for the climate and bugs, etc. Actually, living in a mid-rise condo building here, I have no bugs at all, not even mosquitos on my balcony. But ... I admit that I am tired of the seemingly endless hot, humid summers. They didn't both me so much when I was working in refrigerated office buildings, but now that I am retired, I have time to be outside during the day and they do.

Coincidentally, my mom finished high school in Philadelphia after growing up in the Bethesda/Chevy Chase area. She's gone now, so I can't ask her how she liked it. I have visited there briefly and actually have a physician friend in Delaware, which seems nice ... but maybe a bit too quiet for me, I dunno.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:15 AM

6,865 posts, read 7,813,769 times
Quote:
Philly is fantastic. It surprised the hell out of use when we came to visit, so much so since we obviously moved here. The last time I had been here in the 1980s, it was pretty rough. Now, the downtown and other gentrified neighborhoods are abuzz with restaurants, shopping and entertainment. We walk pretty much everywhere, sometimes using the car only once a week when I drive to a nursing home where I volunteer.

Taxes are a great deal for retirees. Pensions (public and private), along with Social Security, IRA withdrawals and 401(k) withdrawals are not taxed. That pretty much covers income sources for most retirees. Food, clothing, along with pharmaceuticals and medical supplies (both prescription and OTC) are exempt from sales tax. To sweeten the deal, people over 65 are able to ride public transit for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or