U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 05:50 PM

1,369 posts, read 552,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
In most cases, fibroids shrink on their own, as a natural course. Fibroid surgery is often a scam and carried out in many cases so surgeons can make money. There are 100's, if not 1000's of articles, about how fibroids shrink on their own, and how surgery is often very unnecessary and just a money-making procedure for surgeons.
Only if the patient can stand the pain. My wife had been under pain for six years. The problem is nowadays menopause comes late for most women, she started to suffer from the pain at 47. The fabroids kept growing more and bigger, her pain got worse and worse. Her doctor also told her to wait till menopause to come and the pain would be alleviated.

But by 53 menopause still hadn't come and she couldn't stand the pain any more. So she had it removed by
Laparoscopic myomectomy. Under my plan I just co-paid about $1,500. But I can't imagine how much would cost if she is without insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 05:52 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,464,353 times
Ian_Lee, and your sister and sister-in-law who both also had fibroid surgery?

Old 09-30-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Ian_Lee, and your sister and sister-in-law who both also had fibroid surgery?
Yes. That is why I said women at around 50 face many health issues. So if OP can afford it, don't buy a high deductible plan.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

Yes. That is why I said women at around 50 face many health issues. So if OP can afford it, don't buy a high deductible plan.
It is not true that women of a certain age automatically face many health problems.

But it is always good to have the lowest deductible possible with health insurance, along with the best coverage one can afford to buy.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:02 PM

This may be a joke. But when you marry someone, check in detail his/her medical insurance plan first. I am 5 years older than my wife. She is covered under my plan. I also plan to retire at 65. But under my retirement plan, the employer will still cover the retiree as well as the spouse. Medicare is secondary.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:03 PM

5,684 posts, read 8,148,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What is he going to do for insurance? Medicare? Or will he still be carried by his former employer? If so, why can't they keep you on it also?

And why is he being such a butt-hole!!!!!!!!
Seriously, he sounds like a jerk.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:32 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,646,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
My wife was in the same position. Although over the years I informed her of my retirement and how that affected her she never made any attempt to provide for her basic needs in retirement. Fortunately I was able to step up and cover the $600 per month insurance cost. My retirement was less so due to the lack of preparation on her part.
You are sounding like the OP's husband. Where is the partnership most of us have when married?

My health care is $919.00 per month. Hubs is on medicare and pays around $500.00

We own a business and there is no this is mine and that is yours. I didn't really prepare for retirement either, have a Roth. But what is mine is his and vice versa.

I have a friend who married a guy her own age. He retired recently and told her she can't till she's 65 and on medicare. As her company doesn't offer insurance once you leave. His did. So he retires 7 years before her.
Yeah, she is NOT happy.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

Hubs is on medicare and pays around $500.00
I'm curious why your husband's Medicare supplemental policy is $500 per month.

My Medicare supplemental policy is only $79 per month and a very good policy.

Even if you were adding in what Medicare itself costs every month, say $105 or $130, unless you are one of the higher payers for Medicare itself which you may well be.

My Medicare itself is $105 per month (automatically is deducted from monthly Social Security check) plus the $79 per month for the supplemental policy.

And then there's the Part D prescription drug insurance - mine is $17 per month.

(maybe the $500 you mentioned includes the Part D prescription drug insurance too)

Last edited by matisse12; 09-30-2017 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 06:53 PM

950 posts, read 541,062 times
I did a check on Wisconsin's web site for your age and I estimated total income at 70K. You would be paying 300/mo for health insurance. https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

Also see Community Healthcare Access

Do you need health insurance? Are you looking for a more affordable way to access health insurance coverage? The City of Milwaukee Health Department’s Community Healthcare Access Program (CHAP) can help.

For years, CHAP employees have been dedicated to assisting community members in accessing the health care coverage they need. Today, CHAP can help all community members determine their options under the Affordable Care Act by evaluating whether they qualify for free or low-cost health insurance, or helping them find a health insurance plan that fits their needs and their budget. If you have questions, call (414) 286-8620 today.

What programs can the Community Healthcare Access Program assist me in applying for?
CHAP employees are Certified Application Counselors under the Affordable Care Act, meaning they are trained to assist you in enrolling under the new health care law, the Affordable Care Act (ACA). While the ACA provides new health coverage options for qualified individuals, CHAP will help you every step of the way to determine what programs and services you qualify for, or what low-cost plans are available to you.

CHAP can help you determine if you qualify for:

Health Insurance Marketplace (private insurance)
BadgerCare (Medicaid)
Family Planning Waiver
Senior Care
Title 19
Express Enrollment for pregnant women and children
CHAP can also assist in enrollment or provide referrals for enrollment in FoodShare, WIC, energy assistance, tax preparation, dental services, and free and sliding-fee clinics.

If you have questions, call (414) 286-8620.

Support in more than 150 languages is available 24 hours a day at: www.healthcare.gov or 1-800-318-2596.

To find an enrollment site near you, Milwaukee County residents can also call 2-1-1 for assistance.

How will the Affordable Care Act (Health Care Reform) affect me?
Today, thanks to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), there are more options than ever for individuals and families to obtain affordable health insurance.
Important things you need to know are:

Effective January 1, 2014, everyone (with few exceptions) is required by law to have health insurance, or pay a fine. Under the new law, everyone can get health insurance, even if you have a pre-existing condition.
Each year during an open enrollment period, you can begin accessing the Health Insurance Marketplace – a website where you can sign up for affordable insurance plans approved by the federal government. There will be many different health insurance plans with different costs to choose from.
The Health Insurance Marketplace (www.healthcare.gov) is one application that determines if you are eligible for other programs, such as Medicaid/BadgerCare.
If you are currently covered under Medicaid/BadgerCare, you may receive a letter stating that you have to enroll for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. If you receive this letter, it is very important to act or you may lose your health insurance coverage.
If you are covered under Medicare (disabled or 65 and older), your insurance coverage does NOT change, and you do NOT need to go to the Health Insurance Marketplace for coverage.
Many people will qualify for assistance to help pay for their health insurance through government subsidies. To determine if you are eligible for a subsidy, contact an enrollment assistor near you. Find assistance near you by calling 2-1-1 or visiting www.healthcare.gov.
For more information, visit www.healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596. For in-person assistance in the City of Milwaukee, contact (414) 286-8620.

http://city.milwaukee.gov/health/medassist

Last edited by rmm0484; 09-30-2017 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 07:04 PM

3,925 posts, read 1,670,384 times
So tell him your plan is to pay for health insurance out of his retirement check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement