U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 07:14 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,851,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I am almost 56. We do not have kids together. My son's father carries him on his policy.
My spouse will be 66 in May so will be going on Medicare.

and yeah, I am not happy about this either. Although it is no surprise that my spouse is this selfish.....after being together for 15 years now and married for 11 of those years I keep hoping that that part would change but that is just me being an optimist.

Given that your son is covered, the lowest cost individual coverage for you alone would probably be a Catastrophic plan/pool. This type of plan kicks-in if you have a major/catastrophic illness, but, you must pay for your own ongoing, day-to-day healthcare costs.

If your husband is not willing to kick-in on this type of plan - and you can't afford it, it's probably time to at least acquaint yourself with the legal implications, responsibilities and options before you face a significant healthcare issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
Milwaukee has 10 clinics which give medical services to the uninsured for free or a minimal sliding fee.

Free and Low-cost Clinics

(not that you shouldn't buy health insurance - you should, if possible)

Old 09-30-2017, 07:18 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,950,475 times
Quote:
My spouse has been wanting to retire for a long time but full retire age would be 66 which will happen next May. We have talked allot about where we want to move to (Florida) But the insurance question never came up until last night.

My spouse pays the mortgage, utilities, internet (we have no cable any longer) property tax, home owners insurance and our work vehicles insurance.
I pay for all the groceries, the insurance on my two classic vehicles I inherited, our cell bill (which is 160 bucks a month! Argh ) The loan on my car, all my medical, dental and vision bills that are not covered by insurance, my cc debt and my minor son who will graduate next year, Thank God. LOL

My spouse makes twice as much money as me.
With due respect, since your spouse is doing the heavy lifting, financially speaking; and since you do not have to pay for your kids' health insurance - what the heck do you do with all your dough? With your salary, and getting a pass on the heavy lifting, I would have had a $600K retirement fund over that fifteen years regardless of kids' expenses. I speak from experience. If you DON'T have a $600K retirement fund saved up, where the heck did you blow the dough, to have nothing to show for it?

Sounds to me like your spouse has (rightly) concluded that he no longer wants the payments. Not to put too fine a point on it, I would feel the same way if the shoe were on the other foot.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 PM

899 posts, read 478,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
While your spouse does sound a bit insensitive, or at least that is how you are conveying it, why do you think he OWES you health insurance, or anything for that matter? I though marriages were a partnership. We all sometimes have to do things we don't want, nor like. You may have to find another job, or at least pay for a group plan.

Wasn't Obamacare supposed to fix all this?
If they rack up medical bills because she isn't insured do you think it will all be on her back?? No, they will come after the husband too. Doesn't take much when dealing with a catastrophic illness/accident to rack up 200k or more in hospital bills. What don't you understand financially?

It sounds like her husband is stupid with money. Or that his desire to control his wife has tainted his judgment. Or he's in the beginning obstinate stages of dementia. Or all three. It's in his best interest that she be insured.

OP. Look into coverage under the ACA and see if you're entitled to any subsidies. You might not have to change jobs. See if your county has a govt. office that can help you sort this out.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
She never said that she wanted him to work longer. I guess if the husband had a heart attack tomorrow, he would expect her to take care of him. Would serve him right if she refused. A good marriage is a partnership. Why shouldn't he help her find and pay for health insurance. If she had an accident or bad illness without health insurance- her jerk of a husband would be on the hook for the high cost of care-because they are married. No common sense.
Oh for heaven's sake. For the duration of the marriage, the wife has contributed NOTHING financially except for food. The husband has done the heavy lifting. Please get a grip - you are sounding like an entitled princess.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I hear you.

It is not a bad marriage, just one where I feel like the guest in the house sometimes.

We did go to marriage counseling at one point too. It did shake my spouse up and things were better for a while but that selfishness creeps in again and I think WTF?
Well, I guess so. You've lived off his largess for fifteen years, contributing nothing other than food expenses. That would be my definition of being treated like a "guest".

Old 09-30-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You have a very different idea of what being married involves than I do
There is no "partnership" in this marriage
The husband is doing what he wants--gets to keep his health insurance--and says ********* to the wife
Not much equality in that relationship at all to my way of thinking...
You're right. There is no "partnership" here. For fifteen years, the guy has been the only ox pulling a two-yoke cart. Wifey has bought groceries or take-out. Period. (She gets child support for the son). That is the totality of her financial contribution to the marriage.

And now she's pouting and whining in public about the party being over.

She makes 1/3 household income. Unless she pays 1/3 household expenses, she has no basis for whining.

Give the guy a break. As for the wife, she either needs to find another sugar daddy fast, or resign herself to the fact that the trough is gone in eight months and start pulling her weight.

Cindy, start going to that gym! You've got eight months! You can do it!

Old 09-30-2017, 08:30 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,039,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I did a check on Wisconsin's web site for your age and I estimated total income at 70K. You would be paying 300/mo for health insurance. https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

Also see Community Healthcare Access

Do you need health insurance? Are you looking for a more affordable way to access health insurance coverage? The City of Milwaukee Health Department’s Community Healthcare Access Program (CHAP) can help.

For years, CHAP employees have been dedicated to assisting community members in accessing the health care coverage they need. Today, CHAP can help all community members determine their options under the Affordable Care Act by evaluating whether they qualify for free or low-cost health insurance, or helping them find a health insurance plan that fits their needs and their budget. If you have questions, call (414) 286-8620 today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Milwaukee has 10 clinics which give medical services to the uninsured for free or a minimal sliding fee.

Free and Low-cost Clinics

(not that you shouldn't buy health insurance - you should, if possible)
Per this:
Quote:
I live 35minutes west of Milwaukee.
OP does not live in Milwaukee and more than likely OP does not even live in Milwaukee County - she lives 35 miles west of Milwaukee - which, if directly due west, puts her, at the very least, in Waukesha County, probably in Brookfield, New Berlin, or one of the surrounding communities - unless she means 35 miles SW - which might just still keep her in Milwaukee County. That said, Waukesha County insurance rates are lower than Milwaukee County.

I live in a suburb in Milwaukee County, ten minutes from the county line between Milwaukee and Waukesha counties - have lived here all my life and know the state well.

She could call the Milwaukee County info provided by rmm0484 - they might be able to steer her to the appropriate people in her area.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:11 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,314,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Oh for heaven's sake. For the duration of the marriage, the wife has contributed NOTHING financially except for food. The husband has done the heavy lifting. Please get a grip - you are sounding like an entitled princess.
Wow it's the first time I've been called an entitled princess. In most "happy" marriages there is more to the partnership than financial contributions. But I guess you wouldn't understand- you being divorced twice.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:15 PM

6,422 posts, read 4,183,124 times
Just make sure he doesn't have a life insurance policy on you instead of medical insurance. He might have some other retirement plan you haven't thought of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement