U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 09:15 PM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The OP needs to purchase health insurance through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) also called Obamacare.

The rest of this long discussion is somewhat senseless. Criticizing her husband, the state of her marriage, and suggesting divorce does not seem helpful at all - and she said she is not interested in divorce!!

I think suggesting divorce is way off the rails - especially when the OP says she loves her husband and definitely doesn't want a divorce.

If she does not purchase health insurance through the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), then she needs to try to find a job that provides health insurance.
You do have to qualify income wise - otherwise it doesn't do much good to buy a policy through the ACA exchange. Just throwing that out there.

The ACA doesn't fit everyone's needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 09:17 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

You do have to qualify income wise - otherwise it doesn't do much good to buy a policy through the ACA exchange. Just throwing that out there.

The ACA doesn't fit everyone's needs.
What do you mean she must 'qualify income wise'? She isn't necessarily (and most likely not) asking for a subsidy to help purchase it.

Are you thinking ACA (Affordable Care Act - Obamacare) is only for the low or low-middle income earners?

Last edited by matisse12; 09-30-2017 at 09:29 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 PM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What do you mean she must 'qualify income wise'? She isn't necessarily (and most likely not) asking for a subsidy in purchasing it.

Are you thinking ACA is only for the low or low-middle income earners?
No. I'm speaking from experience. My husband and I had to buy insurance on the open market because we were self employed. We could not get a "better deal" on the ACA website because we didn't qualify for any subsidies. We found a better deal - if you could call it that - $1000 a month with a $4500 each deductible - off the ACA exchange, which only gave us a couple of options all of which were more expensive with the same or less coverage, since we didn't qualify income wise for a subsidy.

That's been the case every year - we've checked every year, till this year. Due in part to the skyrocketing costs of health insurance, my husband accepted a job offer that included very affordable comprehensive health care as one of the benefits.

So we make less money but at least we don't worry about healthcare costs anymore.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:43 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,295,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
OP, maybe you could look for a policy through the ACA or find one that, if it doesn't cover preventive stuff, does cover illness & catastrophic. That way you would have a safety net at least. After doing medical billing & patient accounts for 30 years I know that doctors often discount for payment at the time of service. And when you need routine/preventive care look for health fairs, etc. As an example, during October you may find free or low cost mammograms; hospitals get grant money from the Susan G Komen foundation (they do where I live).

And definitely check out some of the faith-based medical bill sharing plans like Medi-Share & others. I went with them after losing my BCBS plan I was very happy with. They stopped selling that policy in 2016. The geniuses who came up with the ACA seem to think I need maternity benefits at age 59.
Very Helpful!!! Thank you soooooo much!!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
His attitude is appalling! He doesn't care about insuring his wife or children? That's BIZARRE!

My husband and I had this conversation last night because my parents are going through this. Dad is now on Medicare, but mom isn't old enough. She has another year. This year her insurance cost significantly more because it's just her on the policy they bought through the ACA. Dad has to pay for Medicare as well.....so they're now paying more for health insurance than they did their mortgage!

My husband is 5 years older than me and I was like oh crap! What happens to my insurance because it's through him and his company. He can't retire until 70 to collect Social Security so I'll be ok. He'll keep the insurance through work for both of us. i was like that would get ridiculously expensive quickly!
We have no children together but I hear you!! It is very ummmmm "uncomfortable'

Old 09-30-2017, 09:47 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
CindyRoos (OP), here are places to start for health insurance in your state of Wisconsin:

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/guide/insindividual.htm

https://www.healthcare.gov

https://www.healthcare.gov/get-coverage/

WPS | Wisconsin Health Insurance
https://www.wpsic.com/
WPS offers affordable health insurance for individuals and families in Wisconsin, with many plans lower than $100 per month.

https://health.usnews.com/health-insurance/wisconsin

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/wis...alth-insurance

https://www.healthinsurance.org/wisconsin/

Last edited by matisse12; 09-30-2017 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I won't suggest you to buy a medical plan with high deductible. Women in your age will face many health problems. For example, my wife, my sister and my sister-in-law all had uterus fabroid removal at around mid-50s. The medical bills can bankrupt you if you are under-covered.

But you are in catch-22. Problem is you still have 9 years ahead before you are eligible for Medicare. And I agree with some fellow posters that it is too demanding to ask your husband to work for nine more years just to provide coverage for you.

The best option is switch to a job that offers medical insurance. Even though you love your job, frankly, I don't think your employer treasures you much as he refuses to provide health insurance coverage to his full time long term employees.
You're right......my boss.......a woman is very unfair to her employees. She came from money, married into money and looks at her employees as if she owns them. Granted she is a good business woman but does not offer anything except some paid vacation, 4 hours sick pay a month and all holidays off paid.

Anyway, I worked for this lady years ago but I am getting to the point where maybe I do need a change based on all of these messages. I just have to take that leap of faith

Old 09-30-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
CindyRoos,

When my DH retired, I was 3 years away from Medicare and already retired myself. We planned, together, for this issue and paid for private insurance for me for that time frame. It was very expensive ($750/mo) but this was the only way to go. We signed up, jointly, for vision and dental plans. My husband never blinked an eye. He wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Have you checked on the government healthcare site to see if your joint income will qualify you for a low-cost ACA plan? You may want to also consult an insurance agent who specializes in this for further advice.

https://www.healthcare.gov/lower-cos...r-lower-costs/
I am planing to look into this for sure. I actually work at a place that does life insurance exams so insurance is not too confusing for me. But i am a planner so now that I know what I am really facing, I will overcome this.

Thank you so much!!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
You are sounding like the OP's husband. Where is the partnership most of us have when married?

My health care is $919.00 per month. Hubs is on medicare and pays around $500.00

We own a business and there is no this is mine and that is yours. I didn't really prepare for retirement either, have a Roth. But what is mine is his and vice versa.

I have a friend who married a guy her own age. He retired recently and told her she can't till she's 65 and on medicare. As her company doesn't offer insurance once you leave. His did. So he retires 7 years before her.
Yeah, she is NOT happy.
Wow,,,,,,now I don't feel so alone. Yikes!!

Old 09-30-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I did a check on Wisconsin's web site for your age and I estimated total income at 70K. You would be paying 300/mo for health insurance. https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

Also see Community Healthcare Access

Do you need health insurance? Are you looking for a more affordable way to access health insurance coverage? The City of Milwaukee Health Department’s Community Healthcare Access Program (CHAP) can help.

For years, CHAP employees have been dedicated to assisting community members in accessing the health care coverage they need. Today, CHAP can help all community members determine their options under the Affordable Care Act by evaluating whether they qualify for free or low-cost health insurance, or helping them find a health insurance plan that fits their needs and their budget. If you have questions, call (414) 286-8620 today.

What programs can the Community Healthcare Access Program assist me in applying for?
CHAP employees are Certified Application Counselors under the Affordable Care Act, meaning they are trained to assist you in enrolling under the new health care law, the Affordable Care Act (ACA). While the ACA provides new health coverage options for qualified individuals, CHAP will help you every step of the way to determine what programs and services you qualify for, or what low-cost plans are available to you.

CHAP can help you determine if you qualify for:

Health Insurance Marketplace (private insurance)
BadgerCare (Medicaid)
Family Planning Waiver
Senior Care
Title 19
Express Enrollment for pregnant women and children
CHAP can also assist in enrollment or provide referrals for enrollment in FoodShare, WIC, energy assistance, tax preparation, dental services, and free and sliding-fee clinics.

If you have questions, call (414) 286-8620.

Support in more than 150 languages is available 24 hours a day at: www.healthcare.gov or 1-800-318-2596.

To find an enrollment site near you, Milwaukee County residents can also call 2-1-1 for assistance.

How will the Affordable Care Act (Health Care Reform) affect me?
Today, thanks to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), there are more options than ever for individuals and families to obtain affordable health insurance.
Important things you need to know are:

Effective January 1, 2014, everyone (with few exceptions) is required by law to have health insurance, or pay a fine. Under the new law, everyone can get health insurance, even if you have a pre-existing condition.
Each year during an open enrollment period, you can begin accessing the Health Insurance Marketplace – a website where you can sign up for affordable insurance plans approved by the federal government. There will be many different health insurance plans with different costs to choose from.
The Health Insurance Marketplace (www.healthcare.gov) is one application that determines if you are eligible for other programs, such as Medicaid/BadgerCare.
If you are currently covered under Medicaid/BadgerCare, you may receive a letter stating that you have to enroll for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. If you receive this letter, it is very important to act or you may lose your health insurance coverage.
If you are covered under Medicare (disabled or 65 and older), your insurance coverage does NOT change, and you do NOT need to go to the Health Insurance Marketplace for coverage.
Many people will qualify for assistance to help pay for their health insurance through government subsidies. To determine if you are eligible for a subsidy, contact an enrollment assistor near you. Find assistance near you by calling 2-1-1 or visiting www.healthcare.gov.
For more information, visit www.healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596. For in-person assistance in the City of Milwaukee, contact (414) 286-8620.

Community Healthcare Access

Wow, Holy Moly, you know how to do your homework! Thank you so much!! You are so nice!! Thank you Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement