U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 06:01 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,974,759 times

Advertisements

The simple answer to the OP's dilemma is to either get a job with employer provided health insurance or get a policy through ACA.

When I had been "retired" by my company during a huge downsizing that had occurred when I was just 55, I thought we had enough saved to retire. But the combined medical insurance premiums and deductibles by age 61 had become unsustainable.

We were paying (State high risk pool, pre-ACA) $2K per month premiums with a $5K each deductible.

Bottom Line: Health Insurers don't want to insure anyone who is over 60. And I don't blame them. They are in the business of maximizing shareholder values. They would like to filter out anybody who might actually make a claim. Modern computer tools makes that sort easy for them. That's why we do need regulation. Health care is a fundamental human need.

They don't give a damn about you.

So I returned to work, got group health insurance and retired again at 66. since we're both at that same age, we have now Medicare.

We finally made it to base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 06:03 AM

29,818 posts, read 34,907,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I am almost 56. We do not have kids together. My son's father carries him on his policy.
My spouse will be 66 in May so will be going on Medicare.

and yeah, I am not happy about this either. Although it is no surprise that my spouse is this selfish.....after being together for 15 years now and married for 11 of those years I keep hoping that that part would change but that is just me being an optimist.
Have you discussed his pension and the payment options he has? Will he be taking a spousal payment? Which is a reduced benefit but if he does first, payments continue to you? Or is he selecting his full benefit and if he dies first the pension payments end?

A cardinal rule for many is that each spouse should have their own insurance two years prior to either retiring or what ever is needed to retain in retirement.

I would also suggest this isn't necessarily selfishness on his part but just a retirement reality playing out that many couples have to deal with. Should he not retire and keep working?
Did you plan jointly for retirement or independent of each other?

Old 10-01-2017, 06:06 AM

8,213 posts, read 11,932,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Never did it seen the OP spouse proclaimed "U R on your own!" Just was villian-ized by many.
Then you need to re-read the OP's posts again. Here's one example:

Quote:
What I did expect was my spouse to say that together we would find out what private health insurance costs and we how much my spouse could contribute towards that. Instead I get the "Well, I guess you'll have to go without health insurance " attitude.

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to respond to my question about your recommendation that she just get her medical in a foreign country. Here's my post again in case you missed it the first time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You've made this recommendation on multiple occasions to numerous people. Just out of curiosity, if her child wakes up one morning with a fever of 105, what exactly is she supposed to do? Call an airline and purchase a couple of tickets to Mexico or some other foreign country? Or if she has a stroke, a heart attack, or an accident and is bleeding profusely, does she call 911 and then tell the paramedics to take her to the airport instead of the nearest hospital?

Exactly how does your recommendation to get medical care in a foreign country work when you're having a medical emergency here in the U.S.?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:00 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,677,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
While your spouse does sound a bit insensitive, or at least that is how you are conveying it, why do you think he OWES you health insurance, or anything for that matter? I though marriages were a partnership. We all sometimes have to do things we don't want, nor like. You may have to find another job, or at least pay for a group plan.
He doesn't have to care about her health care but its supposed to be a partnership. Mixed messages there.

I guess if he doesn't want to take care of her, she won't need to take care of him when he breaks a hip or gets dementia. He is 10 years older.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:10 AM

6,340 posts, read 5,079,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I've read a couple responses, and it seems that some couples either split the bills, or have some arrangement with carrying an equal load. What ever happened to a couple working as a team.....all monies, regardless of who makes what, goes into the kitty, and bills get paid. I was hoping to retire at 62, and can keep Insurance for the both of us thru my job, just need to pay 100% of the cost......looking at the budget, it probably best if I go till 67 (if I can), and at that time, the Wife will be 64, and WE will foot the bill for a year. There is no way on this earth, I'd expect the Wife to start pulling her weight on her own....we are a team, and her dollar is as important as mine......I could never wrap my head around the "She has hers and I have mine" arrangements. As far as the OP, he won't help cover the cost of the Insurance ?.....being a married couple, wouldn't he also be responsible for the Medical Bills if you cannot pay them ?.....he might be better off just helping out his teammate, rather than roll the dice on your health.
I don't know - it is not a perfect world. My mom didn't work outside the home but took care of all the expenses with my father's salary. She also told us to be prepared to always take care of ourselves. Guess she knew that type of relationship was not going to be the standard.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:18 AM

3,851 posts, read 9,451,854 times
I'm kind of in the same boat but I was the one carrying insurance for both of us and left my corporate job on my own when hubby turned 65.

It might be worth checking the cost of Cobra vs an ACA policy. It varies by state, but in my case the Cobra was actually cheaper and it's better insurance. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when Cobra runs out. ACA is the logical choice but with changes looming, I'm a bit worried about trying to get an affordable policy at 60. I may just have to go back to work.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:25 AM

2,215 posts, read 745,503 times
Quote:
My spouse is planning on retiring next May or June. We talked last night about it and I said that I would be without Health, dental and vision once the retirement happens because I am on spouses insurance at work. My employer (small company) does not offer insurance. My spouse's response was "Oh well, I guess you'll have to go without, get a different job or find a way to pay for private insurance".
I like where I work, what I do and the fact that my place of employment is near my youngest child's HS. (He will be graduating next May)
I don't know how much private insurance costs. I already can't pay for any extra due to the bills I already pay and I am trying to pay off some debt as well.
At almost 56, I dread the thought of changing jobs.
Has this happened to you or someone you know? How did you or they deal with it?
I also asked my spouse if it was possible for me to be on "Cobra" once the retirement happens and the response was. "Nope, I'm not going to do it, too expensive"
But where you work doesn't provide health insurance.

You're going to have to make some choices here....fun job with no insurance or find a new job that offers insurance. You have to figure out something that will last for 9 years until you turn 65.

You have almost 9 months to figure something out.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:36 AM

2,876 posts, read 1,017,276 times
One question to ask is if you can stay in his old jobs spousal insurance after retirement. I plan to retire at 62 and my partner is under my insurance. Once I retire the amount we pay for both increases but the spouse can stay on even after I reach Medicare age.

The other option is of course ACA plans but I understand that those are in the air right now. At worst case you need to find a plan that protects you from a catastrophic illness that puts you in a hospital.

Good luck

Old 10-01-2017, 08:19 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,298,339 times
Spouse and I talked a bit last night. My SO was getting a calculator out and figuring how much health care is costing us know and what it might cost my SO once retirement hits next year. I said that I can not go without Health Insurance because if something bad happens we would both be responsible for the bills and that is just not an option. I also said that with the pension SO will get, you need to make sure that you choose the option of getting a bit lower payment and have me listed on it so that if you pass before me, I will keep getting your pension. I said "Do you really want me to end up homeless?" SO just said "Oh, I have to take care of you" (But that was said in a JOKING way) Oh Ha Ha.
I also said "We need to sit down, go over the numbers, check into private health care for me, pay off as much debt as possible, live on less and have a solid plan because I NEVER want to be left in the dark--we are a team"
I also said "I have been thinking about nothing but your happiness since I met you, and I gave up allot of my happiness to make sure you are ok with yourself and you know that so we need to do the right thing by each other"
This will work out someway, somehow.

Thanks for all the solid advice some of you gave. You guys are great

Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,670 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Quote:
T...
BTW, I'm still waiting for you to respond to my question about your recommendation that she just get her medical in a foreign country. Here's my post again in case you missed it the first time:
Quote:
You've made this recommendation on multiple occasions to numerous people. Just out of curiosity, if her child wakes up one morning with a fever of 105, what exactly is she supposed to do? Call an airline and purchase a couple of tickets to Mexico or some other foreign country? Or if she has a stroke, a heart attack, or an accident and is bleeding profusely, does she call 911 and then tell the paramedics to take her to the airport instead of the nearest hospital?

Exactly how does your recommendation to get medical care in a foreign country work when you're having a medical emergency here in the U.S.?
Wow, can't imagine you need to WAIT for that explanation, but apparently you do not volunteer in 'community services' or rub shoulders with the 'un-insured'.. Maybe you have lived a 'sheltered' life under the care of the feds or state gov. NO ONE in all my previous generations have done so, so that thought or one of 'pensions' has never been on my radar. Totally a foreign concept to the likes of my social class (farmers).

Very simple
1) In an emergency you PAY... $100 at an urgency care clinic 1-2x / yr is pretty small potatoes compared to a $2200 monthly premium with $15k annual OOP (when you don't have the dough)
2) You self-medicate (as we have for generations. I think my grandfather saw a DR once. (we use COW SALVE often! and have decent 'veterinarians'! (Of course we have lots of experience nursing sick / mangled livestock!) My horse was all torn up by a bear when I was age 10, and we patched her up pretty well! She went on to get a few more blue ribbons.
3) You die (3 of my 'No longer insured / un-insured' friends (outsourced in their 50's) died due to limited access to HC in USA, or catastrophic illnesses that were covered (BEFORE A(?)CA (as were mine). But AFTYER A(?)CA you either pay or die. 2 of their spouses were impoverished due to HC (House / Farm / Assets taken by the hospitals, DR, Lawyers...)
4) You do like 15m others in the world who go international for HC, including the Europeans (on national HC) who have been doing this for 50 yrs. What is so hard about booking a $300 flight to MEX or a $500 Flight to Bangkok? It is very unlikely you will die in the next 24 hrs (but possible). Since living in Asia during the 1980's I always have my procedures quoted there. 30 yrs ago...Countries in Europe and Asia that offer subsidized and nationalized care were recommending clients go to Thailand / Malaysia / Philippines for procedures that were more economical to have done somewhere else than the crowded and expensive hospitals of their home country. Yes... i=t is VERY common! Note that BKK has rows of "Clinic Kiosks" at the airport just like USA has Rental car kiosks.
5) It is no secret that USA 'general' medical care is nothing special anymore. Some specialties may have premium science available in USA, and sometimes you may need it. Then... you can deal with it in many ways.
6) My medical sharing network negotiates care prices vastly lower than what the 'insured' are invoiced (but seldom paid).

Very simple (and very USUAL) for the millions of us who live in this un-sheltered / uninsured life. (I can count over 20 in my rural neighborhood who are uninsured)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement