U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 06:35 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

He could delays his retirement until your youngest son graduates from High School, then you will look for a job which health insurance is provided.

Unless he has health issue, otherwise 65 is still considered quite young nowadays and there should be no problem for him to continue working for another one or two years until you find the appropriate job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post

I'm a bit confused about the OP - if there is debt and bills that take everything to pay, how can he afford to retire? Or doesn't he think his money is supposed to go towards the family? Or what?

jesus, I think the husband very probably deserves to retire when he wants to, and I thought the OP said he'd be 66 when he retires next June!

Lots of people retire at 62 these days - so the husband is working way beyond already. And the young man in high school is not his child. The OP shares custody with the young man's father. (the OP's ex-husband)

The OP and her current husband have no children together.

Even retiring at 62, the years left to live can seem short and the years can go by extremely quickly in retirement!!

Last edited by matisse12; 10-02-2017 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:48 AM

748 posts, read 569,749 times
We need to get health insurance away from employment. We are not in the 1950's any more. This was not thought through. And so we roll. And we really don't care or it would be changed.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:42 AM

13,941 posts, read 7,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
At almost 56, I dread the thought of changing jobs.
Your husband is 66. Do you expect him to work until age 76 so you can have insurance? And you have the nerve to accuse him of being selfish?

Old 10-03-2017, 06:31 AM

6,422 posts, read 4,183,124 times
After thinking longer about this thread, I wish we could hear the husband's side of the story. In lieu of that, maybe the OP can tell us if prior to this the husband had discussed with her the fact that his retirement would eventually happen, and recommended that she get a job the would provide her with medical coverage.

I am wondering if he said what he did out of his own frustration that she ignored his earlier advice, because she like her job too much to leave it. Did he voice his concern 5 or 10 years ago, when you were still young enough to find a nice job that had coverage?

Old 10-03-2017, 07:02 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
After thinking longer about this thread, I wish we could hear the husband's side of the story. In lieu of that, maybe the OP can tell us if prior to this the husband had discussed with her the fact that his retirement would eventually happen, and recommended that she get a job the would provide her with medical coverage.

I am wondering if he said what he did out of his own frustration that she ignored his earlier advice, because she like her job too much to leave it. Did he voice his concern 5 or 10 years ago, when you were still young enough to find a nice job that had coverage?
in previous posts she said that she would have to find a job with insurance in Florida. Their plan was to move to Florida when he retires and son graduates in 2018.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,807,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
While your spouse does sound a bit insensitive, or at least that is how you are conveying it, why do you think he OWES you health insurance, or anything for that matter? I though marriages were a partnership. We all sometimes have to do things we don't want, nor like. You may have to find another job, or at least pay for a group plan.

Wasn't Obamacare supposed to fix all this?
Obamacare did not fix anything it just made it far worse .

Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 AM

13,678 posts, read 13,606,695 times
Do you really want to spend your "golden years" with a guy who doesn't really care if you've got health insurance? What's the point of being married if your spouse shrugs off your welfare and health?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:30 AM

13,678 posts, read 13,606,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
I wondered if there was something wrong with me in thinking this.
Except I assumed she wanted him to work until she was medicare age. Glad you chimed in
No one expects that. But one expects that he would be concerned about his wife's welfare and have developed a plan with her to make sure she was covered. He hasn't.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:36 AM

1,014 posts, read 352,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Ian_Lee,

In most cases, fibroids shrink on their own, as a natural course. Fibroid surgery is often a scam and carried out in many cases so surgeons can make money. There are 100's, if not 1000's of articles, about how fibroids shrink on their own, and about how surgery is often very unnecessary for fibroids, and just a money-making procedure for surgeons.

Women of a certain age do not automatically "face many health problems", as you state Ian_Lee.
Two years ago, I had a fibroid embolization procedure. It changed my life. If only my doctor had taken my issues (pain, bloating, severe anemia) more seriously when I first complained about them. She had the same cavalier attitude as you. She actually said to me "it's a good thing you were so persistent."

Many women do have female issues in their 40's and 50's. If you don't, that is great.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:38 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,296,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
At 56, these days you’ll be hard pressed to find another good paying job, I wouldn’t go that route. But I thought all employers were required to offer some sort of health insurance?
No, you have to have a certain number of employee's, I believe, before you have to offer health insurance. This company only has 12 employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement