U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times

Advertisements

1) Self insure
2) Join the 15m / yr getting medical care in a foreign country https://patientsbeyondborders.com/
3) Retire / quit your job so you can qualify for A(?)CA subsidies if still available (won't be for long cuz carriers are fleeing the sinking ship)
4) Join one of the 4 legal options to A(?)CA A comparison of the Major HealthCare Sharing Ministries - MedicalCostShare.com https://patientsbeyondborders.com/
5) Other options stated above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 09:00 AM

419 posts, read 256,682 times
Without health insurance, one major illness could put your family in bankruptcy. I understand that it wouldn't be fair of you to make your husband continue to work just so you can have health insurance, but at least he could allow you to sign up with COBRA.

In the old days, you could sign up for a catastrophic health insurance policy that would only cover the big stuff. I'm not 100% certain but believe that was outlawed with the Affordable Care Act.

If husband won't reconsider COBRA and you can't afford private health insurance, then a new job may be what you need. You can try talking to your current employer first in case there's some way they can help you out.

Not having health insurance is gambling with your health as well as your family's financial future.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:06 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Start looking for a spouse that has a pension and health insurance. People that love you want to take care of you and protect you. Just saying.....
Agreed - start looking for a spouse that gives you SOME consideration before making a one-sided decision to retire and leave you to fend for yourself! This should be a joint discussion with the goal of having a clear plan so that you and the kids are covered by insurance that works for whatever budget you have.

Many people keep working just to have health insurance and that could be well worth it if you and your kids' healthcare depend solely on him.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,312,212 times
What a slap in the face from such a selfish jerk of a spouse. Not caring about coverage for his wife. Not sure I would waste any more time on this marriage.

We used Cobra until Medicare kicked in. Medicare doesn't cover dental or vision. Save up for those. Not sure if ACA would be cheaper depending on your income.

So sorry you are married to a creep.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:08 AM

8,046 posts, read 5,886,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
My spouse is planning on retiring next May or June.<>
I also asked my spouse if it was possible for me to be on "Cobra" once the retirement happens and the response was. "Nope, I'm not going to do it, too expensive"
Nice guy. "Expensive?" My SO just spend a week in hospital due to a small heart attack that was treated by catheterization and insertion of a stint. This is not an uncommon condition. I'm sure the bill would be over $50,000 if not for insurance.
The two of you need to have a realistic discussion of the alternatives.
Universal healthcare, paid for by your neighbors, is probably not going to be available in your lifetime, so you need to have some paid coverage. Even with Medicare, you'll have to pay something for coverage.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
While your spouse does sound a bit insensitive, or at least that is how you are conveying it, why do you think he OWES you health insurance, or anything for that matter? I though marriages were a partnership. We all sometimes have to do things we don't want, nor like. You may have to find another job, or at least pay for a group plan.

Wasn't Obamacare supposed to fix all this?
He does OWE her and the kids healthcare because he has been providing it all these years - to make a change means a big discussion and planning. He was apparently okay with it before which implies an AGREEMENT (perhaps implicit, but an agreement nonetheless) - now a new agreement is in order and that includes everyone having necessary healthcare coverage. A couple plans for each other and the family - NO unilateral decisions of this magnitude.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:12 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
He does OWE her and the kids healthcare because he has been providing it all these years - to make a change means a big discussion and planning. He was apparently okay with it before which implies an AGREEMENT (perhaps implicit, but an agreement nonetheless) - now a new agreement is in order and that includes everyone having necessary healthcare coverage. A couple plans for each other and the family - NO unilateral decisions of this magnitude.
Kind of sounds like the guy is getting ready to bail once the last kid graduates next year - same time as he retires?

Wonder if he will have to pay child support - if in college. How does that work.

I think they cut off social security stipends for children once they reach 18 - no matter if they are still in school or attending college.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:23 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
It sounds like the OP is separated from the spouse. If so you should contact the lawyer or a lawyer about making sure you have, at least some help, coverage from the husband. If you aren't legally separated, maybe you should be looking for a lawyer anyway.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,236,347 times
You should be able to look up costs and information for your options under Obamacare. Here is a link to get you started.

https://www.healthcare.gov/get-cover...tate=wisconsin

Old 09-30-2017, 09:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,293,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Guessing her spouse is old enough to qualify for Medicare. How old is the OP and how much longer is she expecting the husband to continue to work to support her healthcare needs?
He may well be being a jerk .... or not. How will the son be covered?
I am almost 56. We do not have kids together. My son's father carries him on his policy.
My spouse will be 66 in May so will be going on Medicare.

and yeah, I am not happy about this either. Although it is no surprise that my spouse is this selfish.....after being together for 15 years now and married for 11 of those years I keep hoping that that part would change but that is just me being an optimist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement