U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:23 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,789,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
So true.
If you are a Christian, you can do the Christian Healthcare Sharing Ministry which is generally cheaper than health insurance. My eyes are too tired to read all pages if this was suggested already

If you are willing to lower your work hours, you may fair much better. It is possible you may be making so little after healthcare that lowering hours is best. My short, past experience in Social Services has become beneficial regarding this topic. I also have much of the ACA memorized pertaining to exchanges. I am Native American so though my insurance covers it, there are still benefits I receive.You sound like a sweet person, btw
I know Cindy in "real life" and you're right. She is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 03:27 PM

1,368 posts, read 550,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post

I'm sure this will all work out the way it should. My youngest will graduate from HS in May. I will then, most likely, look for a job closer to home that offers benefits (Health insurance, etc.)
If we decide, instead, that we will "pull the plug" and move to Florida as we had always talked about---I will just get a job there.

Have to go with the flow.
Don't move to Florida. Move to Hawaii. Health care is almost an inalienable right in Hawaii. Employer must provide health insurance to any employee who works 20 hours per week. It has been law for decades.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:38 PM

166 posts, read 85,509 times
Quote:
My spouse is planning on retiring next May or June. We talked last night about it and I said that I would be without Health, dental and vision once the retirement happens because I am on spouses insurance at work. My employer (small company) does not offer insurance. My spouse's response was "Oh well, I guess you'll have to go without, get a different job or find a way to pay for private insurance".
I like where I work, what I do and the fact that my place of employment is near my youngest child's HS. (He will be graduating next May)
I don't know how much private insurance costs. I already can't pay for any extra due to the bills I already pay and I am trying to pay off some debt as well.
At almost 56, I dread the thought of changing jobs.
Has this happened to you or someone you know? How did you or they deal with it?
I also asked my spouse if it was possible for me to be on "Cobra" once the retirement happens and the response was. "Nope, I'm not going to do it, too expensive"
You need a new spouse.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:40 PM

71,769 posts, read 71,875,234 times
my wife would have killed me in my sleep and disposed of the body if i ever did or said something like that to her . someone didn't learn happy wife happy life .

i don't think the train to sex-ville should be stopping at that station anymore lol

Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,457,551 times
Quote:
I also asked my spouse if it was possible for me to be on "Cobra" once the retirement happens and the response was. "Nope, I'm not going to do it, too expensive"
The most cost effective way might very well be to purchase COBRA from your husband's workplace even if you (CindyRoos) need to pay for it out of your own earnings.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:58 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,457,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my wife would have killed me in my sleep and disposed of the body if i ever did or said something like that to her . someone didn't learn happy wife happy life .

i don't think the train to sex-ville should be stopping at that station anymore lol
I had been thinking that. "Not tonight, dear; I have a headache from worrying about my future health insurance."

Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 PM

579 posts, read 376,196 times
Don't move to Florida.
There's a lot of hot enchiladas down here and from what I've deduced so far, your hubby has the 7 year itch x 2 and some change.
Unless you don't mind him straying.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:19 PM

292 posts, read 126,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Jane_Smith73 at her posts #103, #105, #106, and #107 did not give "marital counseling" nor "marital advice".

She was stating that a woman should be proactive in being able to financially support herself and proactive in being aware of impending changes that retirement will bring financially and in benefits. And proactive in finances and financially planning over an adult lifetime. And that a woman should make and have her own money and benefits. And for optimal choices not be financially dependent upon a man. And to take responsibility.

I agree with what Jane_Smith73 said in her posts. She is not a 'troll'. She stated important points.
"You" are phasing the above in a nice professional manner, this was not the methodology that Jane_Smith73 employed. There were comments along the line of...The OP only paying for the groceries and adding nothing else financially to the family fund. Miss Jane does not know that for a fact, as the OP stated otherwise.

Another comment stated that Miss Jane would have "something along the lines of 600k in a retirement account" if all she was responsible for was the groceries and other lesser necessities around the house. Perhaps Miss Jane is a high earner..let's all clap for her I am a high earner too- big deal,but I am not about to offer up any financial advice to another whose life circumstances may differ from mine.

Anyone who comes out and lectures another person along these lines when they do not have the complete story....certainly values their said opinions and life choices above and beyond what anyone else can suggest.

Seems a bit high and mighty to me...

While I agree wholeheartedly with Miss Jane's financial "advice" she really needs to "understand" that other creeds and culture just "might" handle the financial situation differently in life, and in marriage.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,297,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I know Cindy in "real life" and you're right. She is.
awwwwwwwwwwwww, Thanks Mrs. Cool. You are such a sweet person too!!!

Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,297,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

lolololololololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement