Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:27 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times

Advertisements

My spouse is planning on retiring next May or June. We talked last night about it and I said that I would be without Health, dental and vision once the retirement happens because I am on spouses insurance at work. My employer (small company) does not offer insurance. My spouse's response was "Oh well, I guess you'll have to go without, get a different job or find a way to pay for private insurance".
I like where I work, what I do and the fact that my place of employment is near my youngest child's HS. (He will be graduating next May)
I don't know how much private insurance costs. I already can't pay for any extra due to the bills I already pay and I am trying to pay off some debt as well.
At almost 56, I dread the thought of changing jobs.
Has this happened to you or someone you know? How did you or they deal with it?
I also asked my spouse if it was possible for me to be on "Cobra" once the retirement happens and the response was. "Nope, I'm not going to do it, too expensive"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 08:39 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
My spouse is planning on retiring next May or June. We talked last night about it and I said that I would be without Health, dental and vision once the retirement happens because I am on spouses insurance at work. My employer (small company) does not offer insurance. My spouse's response was "Oh well, I guess you'll have to go without, get a different job or find a way to pay for private insurance".
I like where I work, what I do and the fact that my place of employment is near my youngest child's HS. (He will be graduating next May)
I don't know how much private insurance costs. I already can't pay for any extra due to the bills I already pay and I am trying to pay off some debt as well.
At almost 56, I dread the thought of changing jobs.
Has this happened to you or someone you know? How did you or they deal with it?
I also asked my spouse if it was possible for me to be on "Cobra" once the retirement happens and the response was. "Nope, I'm not going to do it, too expensive"
What is he going to do for insurance? Medicare? Or will he still be carried by his former employer? If so, why can't they keep you on it also?

And why is he being such a butt-hole!!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2017, 08:41 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
What are your kids going to do for insurance?

Old 09-30-2017, 08:44 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What is he going to do for insurance? Medicare? Or will he still be carried by his former employer? If so, why can't they keep you on it also?

And why is he being such a butt-hole!!!!!!!!
Guessing her spouse is old enough to qualify for Medicare. How old is the OP and how much longer is she expecting the husband to continue to work to support her healthcare needs?
He may well be being a jerk .... or not. How will the son be covered?

Old 09-30-2017, 08:44 AM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
Start looking for a spouse that has a pension and health insurance. People that love you want to take care of you and protect you. Just saying.....

Old 09-30-2017, 08:45 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
My husband took a retirement package 18 months before he was Medicare eligible, we purchased Cobra insurance, he went on Medicare and I buy my own insurance. It is unbelievably expensive but it is part of our retirement budget. However, I am truly grateful for ACA as it has allowed us to retire.

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
Wow. Now would be a good time to check into the Affordable Care Act plans and subsidies;

Eligibility for Tax Credits
In general, you may be eligible for credits if you:

buy health insurance through the Marketplace;
are ineligible for coverage through an employer or government plan;
are within certain income limits;
file a joint return, if married; and
cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person.

I also believe that it is possible to file married filing separately and qualify for subsidies. You will have to do some research.

https://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-subsidies/

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
While your spouse does sound a bit insensitive, or at least that is how you are conveying it, why do you think he OWES you health insurance, or anything for that matter? I though marriages were a partnership. We all sometimes have to do things we don't want, nor like. You may have to find another job, or at least pay for a group plan.

Wasn't Obamacare supposed to fix all this?

Old 09-30-2017, 08:47 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Start looking for a spouse that has a pension and health insurance. People that love you want to take care of you and protect you. Just saying.....
Wonder if spouse is 65+ and OP is considerably younger? Is the husband expected to work indefinitely just to cover her just so she won't have to change jobs? It's not that straightforward.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What are your kids going to do for insurance?
The unspoken question is 'What will your spouse do if you or your/his kids need healthcare?' -- There must be more to his attitude than your OP reveals. Is this attitude the underlying theme of your marriage? Are you legally married -- or is something else going on that makes him feel like he won't be responsible?

Cobra insurance is expensive (probably $600+ per month), but, that's not nearly as expensive as healthcare without insurance. The only folks who get by without some type of insurance ... are those with little or nothing to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement