U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2017, 09:38 AM
 
4,459 posts, read 2,637,443 times
Reputation: 10428

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i said that over and over above . they arrested over 100 for ssdi fraud here including lawyers ,doctors and those on the take at ssdi and in the process .
So?

100 people out of How may thousands on SSDI??

How many of the wealthy pay virtually NO TAXES? And they then complain about lazy welfare recipients when they pay NO TAXES.

ANY SYSTEM had it's sheisters.

NOT EVERYONE is trying to game SSDI!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:29 PM
 
72,085 posts, read 72,068,214 times
Reputation: 49621
which part of me saying it does not apply to everyone don't you get ? i only reiterated it over and over in post after post .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 04:51 PM
 
4,459 posts, read 2,637,443 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
which part of me saying it does not apply to everyone don't you get ? i only reiterated it over and over in post after post .
Them why do you bother to post it?

You've made your point. You think she is gaming the system, she got your message.

You still have NOTHING positive to contribute here.

Leave it go now.

Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 05:09 PM
 
85 posts, read 42,400 times
Reputation: 289
From my experience getting SSDI is not easy and you need to be waiting long periods for approval. I was approved for bipolar disorder, GAD and chronic migraines. According to my lawyer, you have a better chance if you have more than one disability and if you are over age 50. I was turned down twice and had to wait almost 2 years for an administrative hearing. Luckily, I had a sympathetic judge and I was approved at age 56, after working for most of my adult life.

If she has a verifiable mental illness she has a chance. I have never heard of anyone being approved because they ran out of unemployment benefits. You need to prove you can't-do any substantial work for the rest of your life. Getting a lawyer will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 05:15 PM
 
85 posts, read 42,400 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I hired a lawyer when I applied, and it was the best thing I ever did. It's much easier to get benefits if you hire a lawyer. But lawyers will not accept your case unless they feel they can win and I had a very strong case. I won my benefits in three months without an appeal, and I was just 33 years old. As for your aunt, getting fired from a job may be relevant, but it doesn't hurt one's case. It might actually help her case in fact, if it is related to her disability (it was related to mine). SSA asks you why each job ended. Whoever said you have to be unemployed at the time of application was correct; when I applied in 2010, we had to be unemployed for 12 months.
I agree with hiring a lawyer, best thing I ever did. I'm curious as to how you got approved in 3 months? That's awesome but is almost unheard of especially in so young a person. Not saying you're lying, but I hear so many stories about people taking 5 years to get approved. I think it's easier if you have a straight physical disability, rather than an emotional one. JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2017, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,746 posts, read 4,229,892 times
Reputation: 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
<snip> Whoever said you have to be unemployed at the time of application was correct; when I applied in 2010, we had to be unemployed for 12 months.
What a coincidence! I was an attorney for SSA back then, reviewing claimant files, recommending approval or denial and writing the ALJ's final decision.

You do NOT have to be unemployed for 12 months at the time of application, this was true even back in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2017, 05:07 PM
 
8,174 posts, read 8,665,392 times
Reputation: 9180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
People who assume SSDI recipients are gaming the system are people who either know only one or two recipients or none at all. These people judging the disabled people are not doctors and certainly not the recipients' doctors. I find it appalling how judgmental these people are when they aren't doctors, have not seen their medical file, and have no clue what their lives are or what they are about. Most disabilities are invisible disabilities (mine are). We aren't amputees, blind, or in wheelchairs. That doesn't mean we aren't disabled and don't deserve benefits. Whether we deserve the money or not is not for others to decide.
SSDI is not for life. Your case is reviewed every few years and you need to submit current medical documentation. Mathjak is referring to a highly publicized case of public employees working at the same agency, which uncovered a network of corrupt doctors, lawyers and judges on a fairly large scale. Most people are just individuals who file. Even if you initially qualify, that doesn't mean that you will qualify for the rest of your life and recipients are informed about this policy. I truly believe that most people would much rather be pain-free and healthy than have the problems that qualify for SSDI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2017, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,746 posts, read 4,229,892 times
Reputation: 6867
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
What a coincidence! I was an attorney for SSA back then, reviewing claimant files, recommending approval or denial and writing the ALJ's final decision.

You do NOT have to be unemployed for 12 months at the time of application, this was true even back in 2010.
Ouch. Sorry for the snarky sounding reply. I let my frustration with this entire thread get to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2017, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,156 posts, read 23,094,116 times
Reputation: 35427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Did you even read the link I posted? This was one of many saying pretty much the same thing as seen by experts in the field. No one doubts there is fraud but not as you are describing it.

Lawyers do not pull strings. Far from it. If you have ever been through the procedure as I have you wouldn't be saying this.

Please post links with statistics showing that "those numbers who fall in that group are tiny."
Amen. Again the idea that any lawyer would put his/her career on the line to promote a fraudulent claim is just unreasonable, to put it mildly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2017, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,156 posts, read 23,094,116 times
Reputation: 35427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so i guess the over 100 that were busted in nyc for ssdi fraud and are only the tip of the investigation does not count . i guess all those we see on the court tv shows working all kinds of side jobs while claiming they can't work but are renovating homes does not count . believe what you like and hide your head in the sand and pretend the 50% jump in numbers is warranted because they all find it impossible to work and not for the real reason of using it as extended unemployment insurance rather than working either by choice or because they can't find a job . but not because they are truly disabled . . .

sell that story to someone else , i ain't buying it . the system is abused . i will guess and say the old 80/20 rule applies and 20% of those on it likely should not be . i may be higher but i will give it the benefit of the doubt . it is abused as much as welfare is .

why does everyone on disability here think that this is directed at only them and their personal situation - nonsense! they can't possibly speak for anyone being ethical but themselves yet they always do like it is directed at them .

why do you think ss puts such efforts in to fighting fraud and abuse in the system ? because it does not a big issue ?

https://www.ssa.gov/antifraudfacts/spotlight.html
Again, this link does not provide data that proves there is any fraud. All it does is say that they are making sure there isn't any fraud.

In these forums, people get away with this garbage regularly. Someone posts some statement as if it's fact and then they include a link that supposedly proves their point - without either actually reading the info in the link or assuming nobody will actually go read the info on the link to call them out.

Well, again, I'm calling you out.

This link just says that the SSA is making sure there isn't any fraud. It does not provide any info regarding actual fraud. At all.

Did it ever occur to you that you may be wrong as far as SSDI fraud being a problem? The data, at least so far, seem to show that you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top