U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:35 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
What a coincidence! I was an attorney for SSA back then, reviewing claimant files, recommending approval or denial and writing the ALJ's final decision.

You do NOT have to be unemployed for 12 months at the time of application, this was true even back in 2010.
Glad to hear the truth. But, when you are someone applying for benefits, you are asked if you've been unable to work for 12 months or anticipate that you will be unable to work for 12 months. Therefore, it is assumed by everyone, and anyone advising people like us (applying for it) that you must be unemployed for 12 months before you can be considered.

As I said earlier, I was so misled by the info that is out there. I was led to believe that I had to exhaust all other forms of disability before I could apply for SSDI. So, what happened to me, is I went through workers comp, then state disability, and then finally applied for SSDI. By the time I was approved, my most recent work credits were too far in the past to get SSDI, even though there was no argument that I qualified. So, all I could get was SSI - far less money.

It's a travesty that this can happen to anyone. And the irony is that I was in law school when I became disabled, and was capable of looking up the laws, and I still missed this. I can only assume it's deliberate.

Especially, when given the fact that people who don't have lots of money must rely on SSDI lawyers who will only take your case once you've been denied. So, there is nobody to advise you to hurry up and apply, to avoid only being eligible for SSI.

It's truly a travesty. It really needs to be changed. The ability to qualify for SSDI should not hinge on your knowledge of when you should apply for it, when you absolutely had the credits, had you known. Just so wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 09:42 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have never had a subsidy on an aca plan in my life . i wish i could have had what the laws allow those with no health insurance to have but i don't qualify -AND I AM NOT ENTITLED .

i still don't get what all your comments about the types of disabilities there are out there , like the discs, have to do with those receiving benefits who really should not be because they do not really have a legitimate reason and just had a lawyer or doctor with connections squeeze them through . ..don't try to tell us this does not happen more often than it should.

that is all i have to say on this topic
I will absolutely say that this does not happen more than it should, until you can provide absolute data that shows that it happens. You have not. And any links you or anyone else has provided thus far, have not proven anything of the sort.

The first supposed study actually said that there was not proof of fraud, that the numbers of applications had actually decreased by 1% during the great recession, and that there was no evidence that the SSA was approving anyone who didn't legally deserve to be approved.

The next link you provided, said they needed to be careful of fraud - but included no data that there actually was any fraud.

So, all this shows is that you have been hoodwinked, along with many others, who want to believe there are a bunch of people somehow not only wanting to live below the poverty level, but tricking lawyers and judges and doctors and psychiatrists and other SSA administrators that they are disabled when they are not.

The data is just not there to sustain this paranoia.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:24 AM

71,550 posts, read 71,730,589 times
there is not a lot of data as to how many are committing this fraud because THEY ARE GETTING AWAY WITH IT .

but as i posted there are a lot of different efforts and departments put in to stopping the abuse , why do you suppose that is ?

it is like auto insurance fraud , it is far more common then they can predict because so many have not been caught so they get away with it. you can't measure what you can't see . but it is a big enough issue to have an investigative dept to deal with .

in fact i will bet many of us here personally know people who are collecting while working off the books doing all kinds of things they claim they can't. they just get away with it .

there are lots of numbers out there and lots of articles pertaining to the issue for something you claim is not a problem . i can site article after article for days if i wanted to waste the time .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richard.../#738f805a3369

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot.../#4349059c4b6d

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-08-2017 at 02:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or